IGNORED

Titleist 915 D2

Note: This thread is 1823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How would a used 915 D2 driver treat a hack like me? I need a used driver that's forgiving enough that I can get fairly cheap. Getting custom fitted with brand new equipment is out of the question for me and I can pick up one of these drivers up for 100 bucks. What are your thoughts. 

Without knowing anything about you......handicap, swing speed etc, or the club...shaft stiffness, condition, loft ......

That driver is not what I would steer a higher handicap to.

(edited)

Thank you. I really dont know my handicap but it has to be quite high. I have a taylormade r7 460 driver in 10.5 degree with a stiff 60 fujikura shaft. I can hit well but not very often. I know a different driver isnt going to magically change my game but maybe I could get a little better forgiveness and a little more length. The 915 I was looking at was average condition with stiff shaft and 10.5 degree loft.

Edited by Gonzo819

Traditionally, while a good driver, the 915 is not as forgiving as others. The only Ping product in my bag is their G400, and the G30 before that. I’ve found them to be the most forgiving and you should be able to pick up a G30 for $100 or less.

Best of luck.

It depends entirely on your swing.  For me, the best driver I ever had is a Cleveland Hi-Bore 10.5* with a regular shaft.  It was accurate and forgiving and suited my swing.  When swung correctly, it was accurate and long.  I currently have an R5 TaylorMade 9.5* with a stiff shaft.  It is longer when hit well, but not as forgiving or accurate, unless I get it right.  Despite having tried many other drivers to date, have yet to find one as good as my Hi-Bore.  The only reason I don't play it is because it is my dad's gamer.

So look at it this way, it might be the perfect club for you if the specs are correct.  Ideally hit it before you buy it and then decide

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, Gonzo819 said:

How would a used 915 D2 driver treat a hack like me? I need a used driver that's forgiving enough that I can get fairly cheap. Getting custom fitted with brand new equipment is out of the question for me and I can pick up one of these drivers up for 100 bucks. What are your thoughts. 

I would have to disagree with the other posters. It is a great driver for all kinds of players and no less forgiving than Pings, Callaways, TMs. The D3 is more of a tour players version. The D2 is very forgiving. I played one for several years. I am using the 917D2 now. We reviewed them on the site.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/titleist_915_d2_and_d3_driver_review

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

disclaimer note:  I play with old clubs:  ping eye2 coppers.

wow, I had a R7 9.5* S for 10+ years.  just upgraded to 915 D2 10.5* S 2-3 years ago....

was fitted for either R or S Diamana 60 shaft.   I prefer the S and set to 12* slight draw.

took me several rounds to dial it in.  swing speed around 88-90.  can drive 220-240 with intentional fade or straight and sometimes a draw.   I am about a 20 index.

With the R7,  could only hit straight or fades, no matter where weights were placed. still 210-230.

=================

Don't know your swing speed or your index... but I like the 915 D2 - more than M1, M2, Callaway epic.   Ping G 400 was good, but I hit the 915 a little farther...    I think the D2 shaft is only 45", and sometimes I choke down an inch.... for more control.

Hope you could demo both clubs, but D2 is pretty good.   I would not count on various adjustments for fade and draw to correct swing flaws, unless you normally hit fairly straight.   Then you can tweak a bit with adjustments.  

If you don't  hit more than 230 yards, I suggest setting at 12* loft.  as hangtime is your friend 🙂

If your swing speed is mid 80's or less, use the regular flex shaft.  and even try the lighter 50 gram shaft.

there are some D2's with a red shaft (light weight).

Edited by mywong23

Note: This thread is 1823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!