IGNORED

Club Fitting Question

Note: This thread is 1819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've only been golfing for 10 yrs. I have good days where I shoot low 80's and crappy days where I am in the 90's.  If I could hit the ball the same every day, I would be in the 80's a lot more and have a lower hcap but I'm just not there yet.  I have had my speed checked and with my quick tempo I have been told continually that I need to use stiff shafts, which I also hit a lot better and like the feel of. I have also got my grips sized correctly, so what else is involved ?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, SteveH said:

I've only been golfing for 10 yrs. I have good days where I shoot low 80's and crappy days where I am in the 90's.  If I could hit the ball the same every day, I would be in the 80's a lot more and have a lower hcap but I'm just not there yet.  I have had my speed checked and with my quick tempo I have been told continually that I need to use stiff shafts, which I also hit a lot better and like the feel of. I have also got my grips sized correctly, so what else is involved ?

A fitting will show you what shaft you best perform with based on flex, length, torque and weight. Then you’ve got lie angle. Generally if your swing speed is +90mph (driver) you may feel best with a stiff. Certainly if you exceed 100mph. Grip size is mostly important for feel. Whatever is comfortable and allows you to make an efficient grip is fine. I wouldn’t put much thought into static measure for that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

If your tempo is quick, then heavier shafts are usually never a bad thing. Quick tempo by itself is not bad if you can still sequence everything correctly. Problem is if things get a little off with quick tempo, it's hard to recover. Not sure there is much to be done from a fitting standpoint, unless it's one particular part of your game that is the issue. I am guessing that the driver is your big issue club? If so could start out with shortening the shaft, maybe go heavier also.

Also moving out of Canada to somewhere with a longer season would be helpful, if that's an option!

In my experience, shaft weight is a lot more important than shaft flex. Shaft weight affects your tempo, shaft flex affects ball trajectory and dispersion. You may need a heavier shaft.

5 hours ago, arturo28mx said:

In my experience, shaft weight is a lot more important than shaft flex. Shaft weight affects your tempo, shaft flex affects ball trajectory and dispersion. You may need a heavier shaft.

True in my experience too. I have two sets of nearly identical clubs (TA5 Senior and TA6), both with same mfr. senior shafts. But TA5 Senior is heavier and feels like swinging a board in comparison to "Action Lite" shafts in the TA6. The TA6 seems "made" for my tempo, but not the TA5. Good post. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Thank you guys for the interesting/helpful comments.  I will have to try a heavier shaft when I get chance.  I have a tough time trying to slow my tempo but today I thought I would have a determined effort at the range. My worst shots are always when I get too quick.  I found that when I consciously try and make my swing a little shorter and tempo a little smoother, that the ball seems to fly much more accurately at my intended target. And seems to travel about the same distance too.  I have a game tomorrow, so will try and be focused on a smoother tempo with a little slower transition and see if it helps

On 4/28/2019 at 11:12 PM, SteveH said:

Thank you guys for the interesting/helpful comments.  I will have to try a heavier shaft when I get chance.  I have a tough time trying to slow my tempo but today I thought I would have a determined effort at the range. My worst shots are always when I get too quick.  I found that when I consciously try and make my swing a little shorter and tempo a little smoother, that the ball seems to fly much more accurately at my intended target. And seems to travel about the same distance too.  I have a game tomorrow, so will try and be focused on a smoother tempo with a little slower transition and see if it helps

You are on to something. Rhythm has a lot to do with setting a tempo. Rhythm is set by how far back you take the club. Everyone has their own rhythm and finding it can be difficult. Starting with half and three quarter swings is how I think it should be done. You may find you like the faster tempo with a 3/4 swing and by like I mean, you make the best contact for the best shot. 

• Like 1

A dynamic fit based on your own personal swing is best. Static measurements are usually the baseline where most dynamic fittings start. I did mine in 3 sessions. Working from the short game clubs back to the driver. It's worth every penny. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• iacas changed the title to Club Fitting Question
Note: This thread is 1819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!