IGNORED

NBA Shot Selection

saevel25
Note: This thread is 1812 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

538 put out a pretty good article on the NBA sot selection and how the 2-point jumper is going away.

SPRAWLBALL_Fig_012_kg_16x9.png?w=1040

Kirk Goldsberry's new book examines the changing NBA landscape.

The natural landscape depicted in the field-goal percentage map demonstrates that jump shooting in the NBA is essentially a 35 to 45 percent proposition; however, some of those shots are worth 3 and some are worth 2. Naturally, as basic economics would predict, the behavior of players and teams has reacted in the form of shot selection. When we overlay the most common 200 shot locations in today’s NBA, we see that shot selection and economic efficiency are aligned.

No wonder 2-point jump shooting is dying.

Now the question is, should they change something to make the game more diverse across the board. Maybe move the 3-point line back to make it more risk/reward. For me, I always thought they needed to take the 3-point line to the sideline and not have a closer 3-pointer in the corner. By value, the corner 3 is equal to make a shot just around the charge arc line.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One of my co-workers is a basketball coach (HS for 20+ years), he always talks about how funny it is to watch a guy dribble to the hoop (where he has a layup or will get fouled) and make a pass back out to the three point line. I don't (and he doesn't) even watch NBA games anymore. No defense, shoot the three and miss foul shots. Yes, the game has changed. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

1 hour ago, Bucki1968 said:

One of my co-workers is a basketball coach (HS for 20+ years), he always talks about how funny it is to watch a guy dribble to the hoop (where he has a layup or will get fouled) and make a pass back out to the three point line. I don't (and he doesn't) even watch NBA games anymore. No defense, shoot the three and miss foul shots. Yes, the game has changed. 

I no longer watch the NBA for just this reason.   It's not exciting anymore.   Give me the March Madness though.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I am not much of a fan of the current nba product these days. I do follow a player or two, but that's about it.

Back in the day, I was huge Lakers Fan. Went to a few championship games between them and the Celtics. . 

I might watch a few highlights of today's games on You Tube. 

Iirc,  I think there was an idea being mulled around about adding a 4 point line. Not sure if that is still a possibility. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 minutes ago, Patch said:

Iirc,  I think there was an idea being mulled around about adding a 4 point line. Not sure if that is still a possibility. 

I'd like to see them eliminate the 3 point shot.   You'd see better basketball.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F0227%2Fr333806_2

In an excerpt from "SprawlBall," Kirk Goldsberry illustrates four ways to make the 3-ball more...

From the same author, some ideas of how to counter the rise in 3s. He also offered some mire ideas on Zach Lowe’s podcast, mostly about how to make post play more enticing. One option was to narrow the lane, which was originally widened to counter George Mikan. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 1812 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!