IGNORED

Chris Kirk on Indefinite Leave from Tour

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 1806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I mean this in all seriousness, because I think it is the root cause of the discussion we're having.  Do you understand what an addiction is?

Based on his responses so far, I’d say he defines it as - “an inability to stop doing something you chose to do in the first place. And because you made that initial choice, the addiction that follows is your own fault and not a medical condition.” Which is not the true definition. I can tell you as a former alcoholic, and descendant from a long line of them...that initial choice is not always completely in your power to make. 

7 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I think he may be confusing it with ‘habit’.

This is accurate.

Edited by JeepXJ98
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

OK, one more time @pganapathy

Addiction is a physical condition and NOT a matter of morality or choice.

This is the definition as used by CDC and as accepted under the American with Disabilities Act since the 1990s. Addiction is a physical reliance, be it alcohol, caffeine, nicotine or many drugs, such as oxycontin. A habit is something you like to do; an addiction is something you are physically compelled to do. You are obviously equating the two.

Under the ADA, it is to be treated as a medical condition. 

The fact that you cannot forgive him does not mean it is not a health issue with relief under the law. As I said earlier, if you think that is wrong, you will need to get congress to change the act. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What about obesity?

Is there a difference between becoming addicted via legitimately prescribed medication vs social experimentation and/or partying? 

There's any number of 'physical' or 'medical' hardships people face. It's disappointing that because of our "do not judge" culture we're no longer able to practice legitimate, practical discrimination. 

21 minutes ago, Indy-Archer said:

What about obesity?

Is there a difference between becoming addicted via legitimately prescribed medication vs social experimentation and/or partying? 

There's any number of 'physical' or 'medical' hardships people face. It's disappointing that because of our "do not judge" culture we're no longer able to practice legitimate, practical discrimination. 

Addiction is a condition, not a causation. It is the result that we are discussing. 

What would be the the "legitimate and practical discrimination" you would consider appropriate and how would that deal with the condition? 

I have a serious injury to my foot, that is a hardship. When people have made fun of me when I use handicapped parking but do not obviously limp or use a cane, I have had people "judge me" through rude comments.  Is this what you are after?

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

People do not choose how susceptible they are to addictive substances. There have been many, many cases where a person completely naive to opioids was placed on them for knee surgery, for example. The prescriber negligently wrote directions as ‘take 2 tabs every 8 hrs.’ So they do exactly that. Next thing you know they’re addicted to the medication without even realizing it. And this is especially difficulty to deal with if the person is genetically prone to opioid dependence. 

Some people can drink alcohol everyday and stop at one drink. Then go weeks without having any. Some people have a couple of drinks and it triggers an insatiable response to continue.

Additive substances don’t effect everybody the same. Period. It’s similar to muscular build/fitness gurus. I’m not minimizing their efforts but some people can do much less training and see substantially better results all based on their DNA, not their incredible workouts alone.

Same with your smoking. It’s awesome you quit but you may have a much less ‘inherent addiction’ to nicotine than another person. 

Sometimes it takes a lot of self reflection to admit one has an addiction. They want to ‘beat it’ or often try to deny it. They will tell themselves they will only have two beers then stop. Or just a glass of wine with dinner ....4 hours later they’re smashed after having one after the other.

The acceptance that one has an issue is a responsibility that one needs to take/accept. But you must understand the medical side of this and show compassion for them. It’s not easy to accept you have such an issue especially with a substance (alcohol) you see so many people enjoy with no issues at all. 

Chris has taken this step.

THIS is a wonderful statement for all to read and understand! If I could have given it 20 thumbs up I would have.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

8 hours ago, Indy-Archer said:

What about obesity?

It really has nothing to do with judging and more to do with science. For centuries stomach ulcers were thought to have been caused by bad diets, smoking, stress and other causes. It was proven in the 1980s that a majority of ulcers can be caused by an excess of H. pylori bacteria in your digestive tract. Now they treat you with antibiotics and you are cured. My Dad suffered for decades with ulcers and almost died twice due to hemorrhaging. People judged him for the ulcer and it was actually a decades long infection. After the treatment, he was cured and never had another issue.

Obesity has some similar traits as addiction, but also can be caused by other physical issues in some cases.

Alcohol and drug addiction is a disease.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!