IGNORED

Chris Kirk on Indefinite Leave from Tour

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 1808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

AgEXQWZ0bUgxQkNaUzhPOGlfN2xxUUd2V1EAMA

Chris Kirk announced on Tuesday that he's stepping away from golf after issues with alcohol abuse and depression.

Damn. You just never can tell I guess. Hope he finds the help he needs.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Chris Kirk on Indefinite Leave from Tour
  • Administrator

Good luck to him. The only question I might have is whether this counts, under PGA Tour regulations, as a medical leave.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

Good luck to him. The only question I might have is whether this counts, under PGA Tour regulations, as a medical leave.

The depression may count as medical leave if he is lucky, but I don't think the alcoholism should.  I would have to say that is a self-inflicted wound and not deserving of a medical leave.  Anyway, best of luck to him

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

2 hours ago, pganapathy said:

The depression may count as medical leave if he is lucky, but I don't think the alcoholism should.  I would have to say that is a self-inflicted wound and not deserving of a medical leave.  Anyway, best of luck to him

It could go either way today.  Traditionally it's been looked at as behavioral, but the current trend is to treat it as medical.

I wish him the best.  I hope they are considering it medical leave. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 5/8/2019 at 7:16 AM, ncates00 said:

It could go either way today.  Traditionally it's been looked at as behavioral, but the current trend is to treat it as medical.

That is a bullshit call.  Learn to take responsibility for your actions.  This is more about being PC.  Kinda like giving all participants a medal at a race.  It is a race.  Whoever comes first deserves gold.  A participation medal is different to a prize winning medal. ☹️

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

• Administrator
Just now, pganapathy said:

That is a bullshit call.  Learn to take responsibility for your actions.  This is more about being PC.  Kinda like giving all participants a medal at a race.  It is a race.  Whoever comes first deserves gold.  A participation medal is different to a prize winning medal. ☹️

Get with the times, dude.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

Get with the times, dude.

Just because we are in a world where being PC is considered right, doesn't mean a person stops taking responsibility for their actions.  If you are an alcoholic, like for example John Daly, accept that you lost many tournaments you could have won.  I am big on a person taking responsibility for their actions.  If not, who is responsible for your failures.  Is it really somebody else's fault if you do badly.  Bull shit

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

High cholesteral is a medical condition that the individual is also responsible for.  Many heart conditions, I'd argue lung cancer for smokers.  Broken limbs, etc etc etc etc

for that matter, a 'self inflicted wound' is still a medical condition.  WTF?

Calling it a medical condition does NOT equate to disclaiming personal responsibility for the condition.  That's a crappy and false connection.  It indicates passing judgment without the facts.

Edited by rehmwa
  • Like 1

Bill - 

10 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Just because we are in a world where being PC is considered right, doesn't mean a person stops taking responsibility for their actions.  If you are an alcoholic, like for example John Daly, accept that you lost many tournaments you could have won.  I am big on a person taking responsibility for their actions.  If not, who is responsible for your failures.  Is it really somebody else's fault if you do badly.  Bull shit

Where did he say that he is not taking responsibility for his actions?  Where did it say he is not responsible for his failures?  How is he making this someone else's fault?

He admitted he had a problem and was seeking help.  That is not taking responsibility?

You are WAY off base.  By the way, the medical community regards this as a disease and treats it like such.

• Like 1

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

On 5/9/2019 at 2:41 PM, pganapathy said:

Buddy you’re barking up the wrong tree. I’m a pretty conservative person and much in line with “take responsibility for your own actions” as it gets. You’re off base here and don’t know what you’re talking about. Yes, it is a decision people make. I agree. But people get addicted and it becomes a medical issue. Just like smoking or diabetes that isn’t inherited and kinds of other things- they’re behavior based but are medical issues. If you can’t see that then you need to learn a little bit more about healthcare and biology.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2019 at 8:52 AM, pganapathy said:

Would that mean that if a person broke their arm whilst drunk they would be undeserving of medical treatment? Isn't it the condition and not the cause that is relevant ion this case?

• Like 3

The ADA act states alcohol addiction is a condition and not an action.  So it must be taken up as a health care issue.  If you think this is just PC, time to catch up with the laws since the 1990's.  Don't like the law, try to get congress to change and good luck with that!

• Like 1

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

How ignorant, cruel and insensitive the PGA would have been if they had denied this man a medical leave.  Good for him for trying to get better.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!