22 posts / 1815 viewsLast Reply

Currently I'm playing a set of Ping G irons (5i-9i) with a 46* vokey as my pw. I hit the irons well enough my only problem is I feel with the short irons I'm not getting enough spin and the ball seems to not want to hold the green. My question is have any of you guys experienced this with stronger lofted game improving irons? And how did you fix it? My thought is special ordering a 7i-9i retro lofted set and blending them in with the 5i-7i in my current set. Am I overthinking it lol? I can't seem to find anything on the net regarding people doing that.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I use G-400s (5-U) and have been able to hold greens with each of them.  What sort of greens do you play?  And what's your handicap, that might tell us something about the approach shots.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, Matt Maxey said:

Mostly Titleist DT true soft

I am playing at a new club with faster greens and switched from that ball to the ProV1. Now I am finding that my scoring irons are not sending the ball as far. I think the higher spin ball is causing my higher lofted irons to be about 1 club shorter.

12 hours ago, Matt Maxey said:

Currently I'm playing a set of Ping G irons (5i-9i) with a 46* vokey as my pw. I hit the irons well enough my only problem is I feel with the short irons I'm not getting enough spin and the ball seems to not want to hold the green. My question is have any of you guys experienced this with stronger lofted game improving irons? And how did you fix it? My thought is special ordering a 7i-9i retro lofted set and blending them in with the 5i-7i in my current set. Am I overthinking it lol? I can't seem to find anything on the net regarding people doing that.

@boogielicious will probably have a great answer for you.

If you can’t hold a green with a  46° PW now, you won’t be able to do so just because that same lofted club now says “9” on it...

My first thought would be to switch to a higher spinning ball before going to anything as dramatic (and expensive) as a change in clubs.

Edited by David in FL

12 hours ago, Matt Maxey said:

Lofts aren't really the issue, it is your angle of attack and the launch angle produced by your irons and the ball you use. The G irons launch really high because they are designed to do that. If you use a lower spin ball versus a higher spin ball, the results will be different too. That being said, I could get my AP1 irons to stop pretty well with a higher spin ball like the ProV1 or Snell MTB Black.

The current 46 that I have holds the greens way better then the W club that came with the set. The only ones I have a problem with are the 8 and 9. After reading the responses on this thread and reading through the thread on club standardizing I believe I have more of a ball problem then a club problem. Gonna try switching up the ball and see if that doesn't fix it. Thanks guys

Edited by Matt Maxey

2 hours ago, Matt Maxey said:

The current 46 that I have holds the greens way better then the W club that came with the set. The only ones I have a problem with are the 8 and 9. After reading the responses on this thread and reading through the thread on club standardizing I believe I have more of a ball problem then a club problem. Gonna try switching up the ball and see if that doesn't fix it. Thanks guys

Please check back with your results!  You never know who else might benefit.  We've all had that experience of finding online the same problem we were dealing with, and seeing that someone solved it, but not knowing how they solved it. 

I used the prov1x this weekend and the results were a bit better. The only problem I have is that I've seemed to develop a gap in the around 120 yard mark my 46° wedge is short and my 9 iron is long. Not sure if that is improvement in my striking or what. But I still have the W club that comes with the set of irons I'm considering putting it in the bags to try to fill that gap. What do you guys think

Edited by Matt Maxey

5 minutes ago, Matt Maxey said:

I used the prov1x this weekend and the results were a bit better. The only problem I have is that I've seemed to develop a gap in the around 120 yard mark my 46° wedge is short and my 9 iron is long. Not sure if that is improvement in my striking or what. But I still have the W club that comes with the set of irons I'm considering putting it in the bags to try to fill that gap. What do you guys think

Why not?   Can't hurt to try.   I have 4 wedges, 43.5, 49, 54.5, 58.5.   You may decide you like it.

11 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Why not?   Can't hurt to try.   I have 4 wedges, 43.5, 49, 54.5, 58.5.   You may decide you like it.

Lol I currently use 4 wedges also. 46°,50°,54°, and 58°. Can anyone explain to me why I hit a bladed 46° vokey wedge then a GI 45° wedge? 

imo game improvement irons like that are designed to fly high with less spin and come down steep so that they stop.  Maybe your striking good enough to use a blended set where the cg is a little higher and soles thinner in the short irons maybe blended with the i200's or 210s if you want to stick with Ping.  or if your deadset on sticking with the G's maybe put in a high flying high spinning shafts in the short irons?  not sure shafts will fix the problem though  

I love hitting the longer irons in this set. And for that matter I like hitting the 8 and 9 the only problem I have is the gap in yardage and if I could hit the W club as good as the 46° vokey (and I mean as good as in as consistent not as long. I'd rather hit a club 10 yards shorter and consistent than the other way around.) I might try practicing with the W club and see if I can learn to hit it constantly.

1 hour ago, Matt Maxey said:

I love hitting the longer irons in this set. And for that matter I like hitting the 8 and 9 the only problem I have is the gap in yardage and if I could hit the W club as good as the 46° vokey (and I mean as good as in as consistent not as long. I'd rather hit a club 10 yards shorter and consistent than the other way around.) I might try practicing with the W club and see if I can learn to hit it constantly.

Have you tried this technique?  I have been doing it for about a week with my short irons (including my W and U irons, or pitching and gap wedges respectively) and I believe it has helped me already.