Jump to content
IGNORED

Bethpage Black


cartertheraptor
 Share

Recommended Posts

If any of you guys have played at Bethpage how was your experience playing it and what did you shoot?

Driver: :titleist: 915 D2

Fairway: :titleist: 913F

Hybrid: :titleist: 913H

Irons: :titleist: 714 AP1

Wedges: :vokey: SM6 60, :vokey:SM7 56 ,52

Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2016 Select Newport 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I grew up playing at bethpage state park. Albeit the place was basically a cow-patch until sometime in the late 90's. I think the place had more a everyman's soul when i was a kid, though it is a much nicer facility now. Probably played over 50 rounds on the black over the last 30 years or so.

My average round for me on the black i would say is around 76. The lowest ive ever shot there is 67 around 10 years ago. Shot -5 on the par 5s that day. 

My overall opinion of the black course is that under normal conditions from the regular mens tees, its actually not all that difficult. 10-11-12 are just monsters since they re-did the course, but besides those holes the course is easily playable for a 80s shooter. Its a tee shot golf course. Put your tee ball in play with clear lines of sight to the green and its not as hard as its made out to be.  Under everyday conditions, the Blue course is actually more difficult IMO.  

Where the black becomes a bear is when its set up in pro tournament conditions like it is now. A 10 handicap would be lucky to break 90 there if they played it today. 

If your goal is to play the course, going there tuesday-thursday mid morning to afternoon as a single is your best bet. You could probably just walk on if you did it that way. Even right now, or whenever the place reopens for play again. Go with a group or want to play on a weekend then it gets difficult to get on. I don't know how it is now, but the douche nozzles from the Nassau players club pretty much took over that place on a few days of the month back when i played there regularly. I don't remember which ones they are, so thats something to look out for too.  

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Administrator

I think it's a boring course that's only "good" feature is that it's difficult. Big whoop - I could turn any course into a difficult course. It's nearly void of interest, and doesn't present any real questions except "can you play nearly perfect golf?" There aren't often any decisions to make. The greens are relatively flat and oval-shaped. There are bunkers in the rough, because the fairways are a ridiculous 20-26 yards in width.

B-O-R-I-N-G.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/22/2019 at 6:52 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

My average round for me on the black i would say is around 76. The lowest ive ever shot there is 67 around 10 years ago. Shot -5 on the par 5s that day. 

Were there more par-5s when you played it than when I watched it on TV last week?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/23/2019 at 8:03 PM, iacas said:

I think it's a boring course that's only "good" feature is that it's difficult. Big whoop - I could turn any course into a difficult course. It's nearly void of interest, and doesn't present any real questions except "can you play nearly perfect golf?" There aren't often any decisions to make. The greens are relatively flat and oval-shaped. There are bunkers in the rough, because the fairways are a ridiculous 20-26 yards in width.

B-O-R-I-N-G.

I can name plenty of courses that fit this description, but Bethpage Black is not one of them. To describe it as just long and narrow with no decisions to make is way off. Makes me question any judgement you have on golf courses. 

 

I do agree some of the holes would be better with wider fairways that bring in more strategic decisions. But even given that the course is an incredible experience. The grand scale, the outstanding routing through and over valleys and elevations, the terrific property, the excellent bunkering- all top level golf. And there are decisions to be made throughout. On 2- do you hit driver and try to cut the left to get close, or something less to play safe off the tee. If the pin is left on 3, do you go at it or play safer to the right. On your second shot on 4, do you go for the green, lay up straight, or play longer to the right to set up an easier approach? 5 is similar to a cape hole where you need to pick your line and shot shape. 6- do you try and carry the left bunker and get the roll over the ridge, or play safe and short of the right bunker? 7- similar cape choice. 9- try to carry the bunker or play safe to the right? I can keep going. Tee shot on 12, your second shot on 13, second shot on 16, tee shot on 18- all require strategic choices. You make it sound like it’s Firestone or Bellerive- flat, straight, nothing to it. That’s just inaccurate. It’s not perfect but the Black is an outstanding golf experience. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Administrator

Ha ha ha. Okay dude.

Aiming at a flag or not on a par three is NOT the type of “decision” I’m talking about.

Bunkers in the rough? They exist all over the place.

I’m not debating that the property isn’t great. But look at the original 6th compared to now. Boring.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Long course that requires you to have top tier pro driving accuracy. 

Basically you are saying that you need to hit woods, hybrids and long irons on every hole. Half the time or less out of miserable rough. 

It’s not a course that offers risk or reward. Laying back means you turn every pat 4 into a par 5. 

Yea, it’s called Driver all day and pray. 

AKA.... Boring

 

"A good conversation is not designed to win the argument. It is designed to enjoy the exchange."

Matt "Dough", P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: :srixon: (4-PW)
Wedges:
:edel: Trapper (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, LICC said:

I can name plenty of courses that fit this description, but Bethpage Black is not one of them. To describe it as just long and narrow with no decisions to make is way off. Makes me question any judgement you have on golf courses. 

 

I do agree some of the holes would be better with wider fairways that bring in more strategic decisions. But even given that the course is an incredible experience. The grand scale, the outstanding routing through and over valleys and elevations, the terrific property, the excellent bunkering- all top level golf. And there are decisions to be made throughout. On 2- do you hit driver and try to cut the left to get close, or something less to play safe off the tee. If the pin is left on 3, do you go at it or play safer to the right. On your second shot on 4, do you go for the green, lay up straight, or play longer to the right to set up an easier approach? 5 is similar to a cape hole where you need to pick your line and shot shape. 6- do you try and carry the left bunker and get the roll over the ridge, or play safe and short of the right bunker? 7- similar cape choice. 9- try to carry the bunker or play safe to the right? I can keep going. Tee shot on 12, your second shot on 13, second shot on 16, tee shot on 18- all require strategic choices. You make it sound like it’s Firestone or Bellerive- flat, straight, nothing to it. That’s just inaccurate. It’s not perfect but the Black is an outstanding golf experience. 

A course can be difficult and challenging but still be boring. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just noted all sorts of decisions to be made. Both off the tee but also more frequently on approach shots.

As for going for the pin or not on a par-3, the hole design plays a big factor. The 3rd angles front right to back left, with bunkers front left and a big drop off if you go long (a hole type Tillinghast used on numerous courses). It’s not like some straight hole with a basic circle of a green and if you miss you’re fine anyway. You have to evaluate how you are swinging and what is and isn’t working for you and the risk reward. For a par-3 that’s pretty good.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, LICC said:

I just noted all sorts of decisions to be made. Both off the tee but also more frequently on approach shots.

There is no 2nd option off the tee. You have to hit driver or be forced to hit woods or long irons into the greens. Most people wouldn’t be able to hit that out of the rough there. With 20 yard wide fairways you don’t increase your fairway hit % hitting a 3 wood or hybrid. Heck, most greens are 15-20 yards wide. How often do people hit the green with a long iron? 

See the issue, there is no benefit to hitting anything but driver. I rather hack it out of the rough with a short iron than a long iron. That is just dull golf.

 

"A good conversation is not designed to win the argument. It is designed to enjoy the exchange."

Matt "Dough", P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: :srixon: (4-PW)
Wedges:
:edel: Trapper (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Long course that requires you to have top tier pro driving accuracy. 

Basically you are saying that you need to hit woods, hybrids and long irons on every hole. Half the time or less out of miserable rough. 

It’s not a course that offers risk or reward. Laying back means you turn every pat 4 into a par 5. 

Yea, it’s called Driver all day and pray. 

AKA.... Boring

 

You can lay back safe off the tee and still go for GIR on 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, and 18. That is two out of three of the par-5s and 4 out of ten of the par-4s (there is no reason to lay back on the 1st but if you did you probably could still go at the green).

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 5/22/2019 at 8:57 AM, cartertheraptor said:

If any of you guys have played at Bethpage how was your experience playing it and what did you shoot?

I played it a few years ago. Got there at 2AM in my car, tried to sleep in it, the whole thing. I think I was the 12th vehicle in line or so. I was a single, tee'd off with a few other singles at 8:30. We played the white tees, which are the next up from the blues (the tips).

Played a pretty ho-hum round until partially through the back nine when I birdied (IIRC) 11-12-13-14. Ended up shooting a 76. I lost the scorecard at some point, but there are a few posts on here kicking around where I described the round. 

Jamieson Weiss

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TS3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 3-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

Ha ha ha. Okay dude.

Aiming at a flag or not on a par three is NOT the type of “decision” I’m talking about.

Bunkers in the rough? They exist all over the place.

I’m not debating that the property isn’t great. But look at the original 6th compared to now. Boring.

The 6th is one of the holes that I agree would be better with wider fairways, along with the 1st, 10th, 11th, 15th and 16th. But even so, to call the 6th boring is off base. You still have a choice off the tee, you still have to gauge the fairway bunkers, you have a terrific drop from the ridge at the midpoint of the hole, and a wonderfully bunkered green complex. Far from boring. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 hours ago, LICC said:

I just noted all sorts of decisions to be made. Both off the tee but also more frequently on approach shots.

As for going for the pin or not on a par-3, the hole design plays a big factor. The 3rd angles front right to back left, with bunkers front left and a big drop off if you go long (a hole type Tillinghast used on numerous courses). It’s not like some straight hole with a basic circle of a green and if you miss you’re fine anyway. You have to evaluate how you are swinging and what is and isn’t working for you and the risk reward. For a par-3 that’s pretty good.  

For a professional, going for the pin is a decision.  It isn't for me, unless the pin is at the safe part of the green, then I'm going for it, but not because it's the pin.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
6 hours ago, LICC said:

The 6th is one of the holes that I agree would be better with wider fairways, along with the 1st, 10th, 11th, 15th and 16th. But even so, to call the 6th boring is off base. You still have a choice off the tee, you still have to gauge the fairway bunkers, you have a terrific drop from the ridge at the midpoint of the hole, and a wonderfully bunkered green complex. Far from boring. 

I didn't call the sixth boring. I called Bethpage Black "boring" overall.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is exactly what you said: “But look at the original 6th compared to now. Boring.

You can backtrack on that statement, that’s fine.  Agree to disagree and note you are in a very small minority thinking Bethpage Black is boring. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Administrator
1 minute ago, LICC said:

This is exactly what you said: “But look at the original 6th compared to now. Boring.

The course is boring as a whole, and the sixth is MORE boring than it used to be. I see how you can take that, but the intent there (I was on my phone with that post) was to re-iterate that the course as a whole is boring. Even the sixth, which is one of the few holes where you have to make a real decision, is more boring now than it was.

2 minutes ago, LICC said:

Agree to disagree and note you are in a very small minority thinking Bethpage Black is boring. 

I don't think the minority is as small as you think. And you don't know me very well if you think being in the minority on something carries any weight with me.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just the opposite- I think you like to take contrarian views. And oftentimes I agree with you but here I think you are way off. As it is I’ve gotten you to agree that the Black is on a great property for golf (which is a major factor in evaluating a golf course) and has at least some holes that you don’t think are boring. And no one has refuted all the shots I noted that have strategic decisions involved. Again- agree to disagree. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Partners

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

    Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
  • Posts

    • Wordle 469 4/6 ⬛🟩🟩🟨⬛ 🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    • Wordle 469 4/6* ⬛🟧🟧🟦⬛ 🟧🟧🟧⬛⬛ 🟧🟧🟧⬛⬛ 🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧
    • Day 205.  Five minutes of full swing (6-iron), usual routine, in the indoor room after work today. An aside.  I'm very happy that I'm keeping up daily practice, even if most days are only a few minutes.  
    • Maybe. Nothing in the scenario states you’re never going to play that well again.
    • Day 67 (9/30/22): Today I went back to preset drills. I did a short session of them, then went to abbreviated backswing swings, trying to capture the same feel. Then I played a simulated round, trying to see how often I could get the impact position with real swings in a real round. I give myself a C. I think I probably executed the move correctly in maybe 1/3 of the full swings. A second third were not perfect but better than my usual swing. The other 1/3 were bad swings, the old swing. I also felt a little pain in my neck and so I was swinging sort of easy, and I skipped post-round practicing to rest it. 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. BigDHarrison
      BigDHarrison
      (22 years old)
    2. cbdproformula
      cbdproformula
      (67 years old)
    3. dlharrison
      dlharrison
      (22 years old)
    4. JasonL149
      JasonL149
      (37 years old)
    5. Jaymancds
      Jaymancds
      (24 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...