ZenShot

Symptoms of Incorrect Shaft Weight

5 posts / 831 viewsLast Reply

If my iron shafts are too heavy or too light, what types of swing errors will result from either one?  For example, would a shaft that’s too heavy result in hitting behind the ball and casting? And would a shaft that’s too light make it more difficult to release the wrists properly on the downswing?

With quality graphite shafts available now, there’s a much wider range of shaft weight than there used to be.

Edited by ZenShot

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

29 minutes ago, ZenShot said:

If my iron shafts are too heavy or too light, what types of swing errors will result from either one?  For example, would a shaft that’s too heavy result in hitting behind the ball and casting? And would a shaft that’s too light make it more difficult to release the wrists properly on the downswing?

With quality graphite shafts available now, there’s a much wider range of shaft weight than there used to be.

I believe generally it will affect your trajectory and dispersion. Too heavy may reduce your swing speed and cause you to lose distance. To light may give too high a trajectory and have erratic shot dispersions. There are other factors of course other than weight such as torque, kick point and of course flex. @Adam C is someone I frequently refer to for such matters as I believe he's a club builder and is pretty knowledgable about the tech side of clubs.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, ZenShot said:

Tricky question, as it is really golfer dependent. Hitting fat and casting could be influenced by shaft weight but that is always going to be more of a swing issue than equipment. Those problems will not be solved by shaft weight, only mitigated at best. I would look at where you hit more of your inconsistent shots. If you hit more poor shots at the end of the round, then the shafts may be too heavy as you get more tired. If you hit more bad shots at the top of the round, the shafts may be too light for your personal feel and causing inconsistency until you get into the round and find your timing. That being said I recently switched from 130 gram steel down to 105 gram steel and did not notice a big difference specifically from the shaft. I switched to a different head too, and for me the head is the bigger influence in any changes I see in ball flight.

8 minutes ago, Adam C said:

Tricky question, as it is really golfer dependent.

True, I am not sure for other golfers, but a very stiff golf shaft will cause me to feel like I want to flip a bit. When I was getting fit for wedges I would routinely chunk golf shots with a very stiff wedge golf shaft. As soon as I went to something a bit softer (by bit I mean just a different model, but still x-stiff), I hit better shots.

15 hours ago, ZenShot said:

The standard answer is to go for a fitting. Everyone reacts to changes in shaft weight differently. My experience actually went against conventional wisdom and I ended up with a heavier shaft to launch the ball higher.