IGNORED

My Swing (johnk05)

johnk05
Note: This thread is 1778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: I played golf from 2000-2010, very seriously and in College.  Quit for about 8 years.  Recently I've been getting back into it.
My current handicap index or average score is: 80-90ish
My typical ball flight is: Not sure at the moment
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Shank

Videos: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rHtHGN0zpY&feature=youtu.be

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Notes:

My club is pointed severely to the left at the top of the swing.  I'm struggling to get it pointed at the target.  Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how to do this?

Video didn't work for me.

Don't forget to embed it.

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos/

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’m trying to figure out what is causing me to be laid off / pointed severely left of the target at the top of the swing if anyone can help

1 hour ago, johnk05 said:

I’m trying to figure out what is causing me to be laid off / pointed severely left of the target at the top of the swing if anyone can help

Check out Mike Malaska on YouTube for about everything swing wise. The free content shouldn't be free given the quality of info he puts out. 

Anyways, first off - great looking swing! I'm sure you've posted scores in the 70's if not breaking 70. Now I'm no professional here, but I've spent years learning about swing paths. Here it appears the club gets behind you at the top and you (like most amateurs) have to compensate by bringing the club head out to in. A slo-mo may help you see if this is indeed the case. Malaska can give you drills to fix this. It's helped my swing!

• Administrator
7 hours ago, johnk05 said:

Because from 3-4 you keep rolling the forearms in the direction that lays the shaft off.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

Because from 3-4 you keep rolling the forearms in the direction that lays the shaft off.

Thanks a bunch for the comment.  Thoughts on what kind of feeling I should focus on to correct?

NOTE:

I went to the range today and focused on trying to keep the front of my left hand pointed forward and really focusing on keeping the butt of the club pointed at the ball during the backswing and that seemed to help a lot.  I'm guessing its going to feel like I'm pointed straight up in the air for a while because I'm not used to the new feeling.

• Administrator

Stand the shaft up from 2-3 more like an umbrella, and resist feeling the forearms rolling "clockwise" (from the perspective of your eyes).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

Stand the shaft up from 2-3 more like an umbrella, and resist feeling the forearms rolling "clockwise" (from the perspective of your eyes).

Thank you so much.  I appreciate the suggestion deeply.  When you say 2-3, what exactly do you mean?

3 minutes ago, johnk05 said:

Thank you so much.  I appreciate the suggestion deeply.  When you say 2-3, what exactly do you mean?

Check out the Golf Terms page:

In particular look at alignment / positions. 

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

45 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Check out the Golf Terms page:

In particular look at alignment / positions. 

O very cool, thank you that helped.

Note: This thread is 1778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!