IGNORED

Ball Position in Your Setup Off the Tee

Kevlar10
Note: This thread is 1748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Outside of the leading foot sounds interesting. Maybe the stance isn't too wide. 

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OP I do this also. Tee ball off the lead foot, closed stance, teed low (around the middle of the face). No one talks about my set-up because we ALL have 'tailored' set-ups. I am a lefty, but right eye dominant. For me to 'see' the ball I have to play it forward. It took me awhile to figure this out.

That’s very interesting, I’m cross dominant too.  I was told that was why I was a very good hitter playing baseball.  I guess that’s the opposite for golfers because I’m not very good (but getting better).

• iacas changed the title to Ball Position in Your Setup Off the Tee
  • Administrator
On 7/1/2019 at 6:09 PM, Kevlar10 said:

I actually tee it lower to avoid hitting moon shots.  I think it forces me to extend my swing and keep a lower ball flight.  Next I’m going to work on getting my hips through before the club and shifting my weight to the front foot earlier. The hips are supposed to help close the club face quicker and the weight transfer is supposed to keep the ball flight lower.  If these fixes work, I may be forced to move the ball back a little in my stance, who knows.

That’s why I like this forum.  It’s a great sounding board for advice.

I'd guess based on what I've read that you aim right, swing over the top, hit down, and sometimes (maybe even usually) get away with it.

Low pulls aren't a great way to hit a driver.

A ball forward of your left foot, absent a very narrow stance, AND a low tee is a warning sign to me. That's rarely an optimal arrangement - hitting down creates too much backspin and a lower launch, when the mantra is basically "high launch, low spin."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, iacas said:

I'd guess based on what I've read that you aim right, swing over the top, hit down, and sometimes (maybe even usually) get away with it.

Low pulls aren't a great way to hit a driver.

A ball forward of your left foot, absent a very narrow stance, AND a low tee is a warning sign to me. That's rarely an optimal arrangement - hitting down creates too much backspin and a lower launch, when the mantra is basically "high launch, low spin."

I’m not even sure where you’re going with this.  I don’t do any of these things.  I do tend to swing outside in on occasion, but I’ll leave it at that.

17 minutes ago, Kevlar10 said:

I’m not even sure where you’re going with this.  I don’t do any of these things.  I do tend to swing outside in on occasion, but I’ll leave it at that.

He can only go by what you’ve written. He’s an excellent instructor and just making a note of a possible swing you’re making that could lead to struggle. Compensations rarely last. Maybe you can pull it off but it’s just a suspicion there’s trouble ahead or you could improve greatly with some change. Post that video. It could help many others to see what’s going on.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, Kevlar10 said:

I may believe you when I see the video. Until then, I believe what I said has a good chance of being accurate. It's quite difficult to hit down on the ball when swinging from the inside with the ball position and tee height you've described. Additionally you said you used to hit pop-ups, which are common from over-the-top swingers - an over-the-top move helps you to move the low point forward.

On 7/2/2019 at 6:44 PM, Kevlar10 said:

I’ll post a video soon.

Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 7/1/2019 at 3:20 PM, Kevlar10 said:

I was out this weekend as a single and one of the threesome I was with made a negative comment about the ball position in my setup when I’m on the tee.  I set up with my front foot about two inches behind the ball.  I hit a draw on the first hole that went just under 280 and the next par 4 (3rd hole) he brought this up.  I said, “I know, I do it intentionally”.  My tee shot went straight and about 270.  I did hit one hook during the round.  I’m not annoyed that he brought it up, I just wanted to solicit opinions.  I changed a lot in my setup and swing over the last year because I was driving miserably.  I was routinely hitting banana slices and was at the point where I didn’t enjoy playing.  I also lacked any confidence off the tee.  I now tee the ball very low, keep it in front of my front foot and start with my hands and my club in front of the centerline.  It may not be the classic setup but it has worked very well for me this year.  I’d like to feel that I’ve found “my swing”.  If it is completely wrong, is it so wrong that I should care as long as it works?  I do hit a hook once in a while but the worst on the other side is a slight fade.

You say he made a "negative comment" but you did not tell us what the comment was.  What did he say?  And, how did he hit the ball?  Just curious trying to gain more information before making any comment.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

9 minutes ago, RickK said:

And, how did he hit the ball?

Irrelevant.

Further, I don't even know why OP cares what someone else says about his swing.

Note: This thread is 1748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!