IGNORED

Beginner Friendly Irons

Note: This thread is 1757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Probably a question that has been asked a dozen times but I have scrolled back a good few months and couldn't find anything recent.

I played golf around 4 years ago with a very cheap Taurus set of irons (cant find any info on them at all). Recently picking up golf again I feel like I would like a better set that will benefit me as I do want to take golf more serious this time around. 

Happy to buy second hand and spend around up to £200 ($250) and I am looking for some recommendations through experience.

Thanks in advance

Danny

It's not easy to answer.  The pinnacle of all of this would be to get professional instruction, learn how to swing properly, work on it for a few years until you truly have it down.  Then get FIT for CLUBS.  This involves an hours-long computer-assisted analysis of your swing with up to every club in the bag.  Then you will be ready to buy clubs and get the correct set.

Of course, that is golf nirvana. In the real world there is a considerable limit to how much particular clubs can help a noob.  That said, blades (irons that are very thin on the head) are probably a bad choice.  Consider hybrids for anything longer than 6-iron.  If you are young and strong, you probably want a driver with a loft under 11 degrees.

If you have the money to drop on new clubs, knock yourself out.  But any improvement you get to your game is going to be tiny compared to learning the right way to hit the ball.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you have a specialty golf store, check there for a set of used clubs that feels good to you when you swing them.  Then go get lessons,  practice as much as you can, then consider a fitted set.  This should only take 5 or 6 years..........:bugout:

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Thanks for the replies, I have read places that if you are confident in your irons then you can practice your swing.

Swinging a few second hand sets sounds like a good idea and yes lessons will be happening.

Based on your budget and location, used Wilson D200 or D300 Irons might be a good choice.  I bought D300 irons (steel and graphite) for our sons and they are easy to hit.

John

Others may disagree, but I suggest searching Internet on reviews of super forgiving irons. Try to find a store that will let you swing those of other clubs with soft, regular and stiff flexes, paying attention to shaft weight...Even better if they can measure your normal swing speed. Then try to find the clubs with appropriate flex and weight. Best of luck in your search, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Note: This thread is 1757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!