IGNORED

My Swing (cdutra40)

cdutra40
Note: This thread is 1746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 7-8 years (1 1/2 consistently on weekly basis) 

My current handicap index or average score is: 23 (range between 91-95 consistently) Think it should be said I have never hit a birdie and that is my goal for this season. 
My typical ball flight is: driver: baby draw or  baby fade or massive slice
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: driver/wedge play

I don't currently have any videos yet, just looking for advice for what to work on when at the range if I give you some info and detail. I tee the ball high and let it fly with my driver. I have a short backswing that helps me play the baby draw into my swing because last year I really really sliced the thing and would shoot 100-115. I've since dropped that to the 91-95 I am at now and am quite happy with the progress I've made. Sometimes with that slow short backswing I try to compensate for that and swing really hard and it just slices, I know whats wrong it is just a matter of being able to understand what I need to do when getting on the tee box.

With that I've really started to struggle with short irons and even my wedges. This never used to be a problem. within 100 yards from the green I was able to get it on and 2 putt. Now I'm thinning it and chunking it and just not what I want to see. My friend (who is currently an 8 handicap) told me that since I have that slow tempo in my head for the driver and sometimes overcompensate with swinging hard, I'm now swinging back the club fast and forward even harder and thats why I am mishitting.

I'm not sure whether this is correct or not but I would just like some advice from you guys out there on what helped you or what you think could help me. 

Thanks guys

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, cdutra40 said:

I don't currently have any videos yet, just looking for advice for what to work on when at the range if I give you some info and detail.

How can anyone even begin to help you without it?  What you think is happening and the truth are often not the same. 

29 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

How can anyone even begin to help you without it?  What you think is happening and the truth are often not the same. 

If there was no advice to be given, better left unsaid. I was simply asking for things to work on at the range because "I don't have any videos YET" so that when I go to the range I know what might be the cause of certain things if detail was given and then later in the week videos are posted.

Thanks for the comment though. 

1 minute ago, cdutra40 said:

If there was no advice to be given, better left unsaid. I was simply asking for things to work on at the range because "I don't have any videos YET" so that when I go to the range I know what might be the cause of certain things if detail was given and then later in the week videos are posted.

Thanks for the comment though. 

I know what you said, but what I said still remains. No one can even begin to help you. There are many factors to look at in a golf swing. Strike, face to path, angle of attack, dynamic loft, etc. Then there’s what you are doing in the swing to bring about your delivery of the club, not to mention the fact that we soften don’t feel and what is real. 

Post a video when you can. There’s a lot of pros and better players with swing knowledge on this forum. 

3 minutes ago, cdutra40 said:

I was simply asking for things to work on at the range because "I don't have any videos YET" 

But how can we tell you what to work on if we have no idea what your swing looks like? 

That would be like going to see a golf instructor for a lesson and asking him to diagnose your swing and tell you something to work on before you even hit a single ball, it just doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

3 hours ago, cdutra40 said:

I've been Playing Golf for: 7-8 years (1 1/2 consistently on weekly basis) 

My current handicap index or average score is: 23 (range between 91-95 consistently) Think it should be said I have never hit a birdie and that is my goal for this season. 
My typical ball flight is: driver: baby draw or  baby fade or massive slice
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: driver/wedge play

I don't currently have any videos yet, just looking for advice for what to work on when at the range if I give you some info and detail. I tee the ball high and let it fly with my driver. I have a short backswing that helps me play the baby draw into my swing because last year I really really sliced the thing and would shoot 100-115. I've since dropped that to the 91-95 I am at now and am quite happy with the progress I've made. Sometimes with that slow short backswing I try to compensate for that and swing really hard and it just slices, I know whats wrong it is just a matter of being able to understand what I need to do when getting on the tee box.

With that I've really started to struggle with short irons and even my wedges. This never used to be a problem. within 100 yards from the green I was able to get it on and 2 putt. Now I'm thinning it and chunking it and just not what I want to see. My friend (who is currently an 8 handicap) told me that since I have that slow tempo in my head for the driver and sometimes overcompensate with swinging hard, I'm now swinging back the club fast and forward even harder and thats why I am mishitting.

I'm not sure whether this is correct or not but I would just like some advice from you guys out there on what helped you or what you think could help me. 

Thanks guys

We have an instructional content section I recommend you look at. There is a lot of information and drills to look at. It can be a bit of an overload though. The 5SK Video thread has a lot of drill videos.

That being said, a video can help a lot. Many of us, including me, were reluctant to post a video. But everyone here really wants to help. Some things can be spotted right away and are easy changes that can help immediately. And filming your swing is the quickest way to see changes and convert what you are feeling in your swing to reality.

Even if you have someone hold an iPhone and film, it can be enough. The link below discusses the angle to film. Slow motion helps too.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

35 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

We have an instructional content section I recommend you look at. There is a lot of information and drills to look at. It can be a bit of an overload though. The 5SK Video thread has a lot of drill videos.

That being said, a video can help a lot. Many of us, including me, were reluctant to post a video. But everyone here really wants to help. Some things can be spotted right away and are easy changes that can help immediately. And filming your swing is the quickest way to see changes and convert what you are feeling in your swing to reality.

Even if you have someone hold an iPhone and film, it can be enough. The link below discusses the angle to film. Slow motion helps too.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Thank you I will definitely take a look, as for a video. I will post one as soon as I'm at a range and if my next round is before I am at the range I will post one from there. So right now it is looking like my next round is sunday, and being a 20 year old working 2 jobs I have 1 day I have a 25% chance of being able to go to the range, so I will post as many videos as I can come sunday

Thanks for the advice. 

1 hour ago, cdutra40 said:

Thank you I will definitely take a look, as for a video. I will post one as soon as I'm at a range and if my next round is before I am at the range I will post one from there. So right now it is looking like my next round is sunday, and being a 20 year old working 2 jobs I have 1 day I have a 25% chance of being able to go to the range, so I will post as many videos as I can come sunday

Thanks for the advice. 

Pay attention to what your misses are when you play and not just ball flight, but fat and thin shots,etc. Also, if you are playing with someone you know, have them stand behind you and look at start direction and curve. Knowing this can help a lot. It is harder to do that by yourself.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

18 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Pay attention to what your misses are when you play and not just ball flight, but fat and thin shots,etc. Also, if you are playing with someone you know, have them stand behind you and look at start direction and curve. Knowing this can help a lot. It is harder to do that by yourself.

I will definitely do that!

Thank you

Note: This thread is 1746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!