IGNORED

Can you break 100 at Torrey Pines in US Open setup?

seattlemudder
Note: This thread is 5837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you think you can break 100 at Torrey Pines a week before the US Open?

• Yes, I can definitely break 100 at Torrey Pines
    • No way can I break 100 at Torrey Pines

ive played the south course at torrey pines numerous times. when i was a ten handicap and played there, i could break 100 but barely, and those were fairly easy conditions. I played in fairly rough conditions after this last Buick and it played TOUGH. A ten handicap wouldnt have fun and at torrey pines south in tourney conditions. the course plays very long, and with the greens dried up its like putting on marble.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to think I can. But is that playing it blind (never having seen the course up close and personal)? I think it would require me to make adjustments and consider shooting for bogey on some holes. If I were on one of my rolls I would wonder if I could break 85. If weather were a factor I might say no.

I'd like to think I can. But is that playing it blind (never having seen the course up close and personal)? I think it would require me to make adjustments and consider shooting for bogey on some holes. If I were on one of my rolls I would wonder if I could break 85. If weather were a factor I might say no.

you could break 85 at torrey with a 6 cap, you would have to play well, but not phenominal. Once again, torrey in regular conditions isnt that bad, I mean its a tough track anyways, very long with fast greens, but tournament condition is when its a whole different animal, they make it a downright scary

Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I could...

with the goal being to just break 100 you wouldnt have to gamble much. as long as you can keep the ball in play each shot you would just have to manage some master work on those amazingly fast greens

if you could keep all your drives in play and just know that you may not be able to reach greens in reg you could just add one to every par on the course

edit - I'd be worried about short putts on a US open level green! 3footers are death there if you lack confidence with the short stick

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

exactly,

if its only to break 100 you could hit irons of the tee on all the 4s and 5s in 3 and on the 3s in either 1 or 2.

should give you 50 putts to break 100

A course out here set up their 18th hole a couple years ago to the US Open's specs as a promo. It was brutal. Par 5 almost 600yds. I lost my approach shot ball in the rough 6ft off the green, rolled my second putt off the green. Took a 9. Best score of my foursome.

Tiger is right of course. Jimmizu's experience pretty much tells the tale. Playing from the tips, the length will overpower you. Most 10 handicappers hit about 50% of the fairways... with that rough, figure in a few lost balls. If you find your ball in the rough, you might be lucky enough to get it back to the short grass, but forget about advancing it much. Unless you established your 10 handicap at Sawgrass or a TPC, you will have a few three and four putts.

Playing by the book, a 10 handicapper probably shoots around 78-82 on a "normal course" 25% of the time. Most of the time he/she probably shoots 83-88. If you think Torrey Pines from the tips with a US Open set-up won't cost you 15-20 strokes, you would be delusional. SubPar

Remember you may not be able to "leave the driver in the bag". Does anyone know what the carry will be just to get to the fairway from the back tees?

Big clubs: :titleist: 915D3 @ 9.5°, :callaway: X-Hot Pro 3W
Med clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5W, :titleist: 910H 4H,
Small clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5-AW, :titleist: Vokey 55.10, 60.10

I don`t think so, for one main reason - the greens!!!! The holes are ridiculously long, so even if you were to play them like they were +1 par per hole i.e. try to get on a par 4 green in 3, you then have to two putt to make your bogey. Ever putted on glass before? There would be too many 3,4 and maybe even 5 putts to break 100.

Rotate those hips, baby!

In my bag:
Driver
r7 Superquad REAX srHybrid Sumo SQ #2 18 DG TT S300 Irons TAB III 5-PW N.S.PRO 850GH rWedges RAC TP Black 52 TourStage X-Blade CB SWPutters:Competitive Edge chipper/putterYamada SC-302BallWhatever`s in the bag!

I was honest and said no. If my driver/tee shots found the fairway, my chances would go up drastically.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

i reckon breaking 85 is doable eventually after about 3 or 4 tries..the pros get practice rounds. To deal with the greens i would have to make sure that i got the right approach yardage and club. I don' t think its impossible.....i put best on ultra quick greens and id be using a pro v1 black- id buy a Nike sumo2 for the occasion just to be like Duval.

• 3 weeks later...
There are a lot of 'if's' in the equation; if you can get the driver in the fairway, if you can find the pace of the greens, if you can read the greens and they track true, if the sand is to your liking, if it isn't windy, if you don't mismanage the course, if you don't have too many blow up holes . . . if all of the if's can be met then it's possible, but honestly the odds are against it for any average player. And since you will be walking, fitness will play a role. Now, IF you had a good caddie that would increase your odds. IF you had a practice round that would improve your odds. Any score under 100 would be really good playing.

I'm one of those players who play a lot better with a caddie so I'd have a chance with a caddie keeping me on track, telling me where to hit it, etc. Without a caddie I'd say no.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Forget it! I played it from the blues (over 7,000 yds) on April 4 in a howling wind and shot an even 100 (I'm about a 12). And I have no shame whatsoever about that score. Add another 600 yards and make the greens US Open-fast (they weren't, yet) and I wouldn't stand a chance.

The rough was almost where it will be for the Open -- maybe they'll add another 1/2 - 1 inch -- and it is just torture. You can easily lose a ball a few feet off the fairway. In fact, you're generally lucky if you find it. In the lifetime of a regular golfer, you just won't ever encounter rough like that. As bad as it is when you miss fairways, it is even tougher when you miss greens. Most people (certainly I) just don't have enough/any experience pitching and chipping from that kind of rough. You're as likely to be surprised by how much club you get on the ball and fly it over as you are to get snarled and leave it short.

Did I mention the wind?

I have shot over 100 only once in my adult life so I could definately break 100. What would I shoot? Maybe 85ish, I don't know. I would love to play it after the open just to see, but no way would I not break 100.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think I have the game in my bag. My high scores are from being thick-headed and hitting consecutive shots out of bounds/into the woods/into the water,

If you hit consecutive balls out of bounds at your club, in the set up he's talking about, every hole would be three times as narrow and you would need to put every drive 300 yards down the stripes to be able to see the green let alone reach it.

And then theres the short game aspect.... So not being rude but you playing off 13 would almost certaintly no be able to, if you think you wud u are dissalusioned

INT Grom

MP600 - UST V2 STIFF SHAFT

PT906F2 UST V2 STIFF SHAFT RESCUE DUAL MP60 Irons CG12 Wedges Redwood Anser Black SatinITS ALL GOOD!! =]

I think what Tiger should have said is "No 10 handicap can break 100 here with me or Mickelson breathing down their neck"

But without the pressure of the tourney any 10 handi could easily break 100. I have played many PGA tour ready sites and at one time I was a 10 and I never remember breaking 90 at any of them. When I hit 10 I had my putting and chipping where I wanted it to be. And anyone can break 100 with chips and 2 putts. Because from the tee to the front of the green the short grass is all the same... :)

Note: This thread is 5837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!