25 posts / 2490 viewsLast Reply

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Dan, I'm not sure what you were doing. :hmm:

In the first shot, your left hand was weak but your right hand was strong. Then the opposite was true in the next grip: a strong left hand and a weak right hand.

Challenge not defeated.

giphy.gif

So ... maybe I don't know the difference between a strong and weak grip ...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

dangrips.jpg

26 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

So ... maybe I don't know the difference between a strong and weak grip ...

For a righty:

• Strong: both hands clockwise or "to the right."
  • Weak: both hands counter-clockwise or "to the left."

Tried this again last night. I failed. If you want to see the first video of me failing, it's in the spoiler below. I actually hit a perfect one with my second shot with the strong grip. If you watch, make sure you see my hilarious attempts with my weak grip.

Spoiler

This one was an attempt at the end of my range session, trying to get the feel for what I need to do better. The strong one was good contact, but it was about a 20 yard hook. The weak one was just high, straight, and short. Better contact though. 

Now that I'm doing this correctly, it's pretty tough for me. The feels are completely exaggerated to get it even close. I think I could do it ... if I devoted an entire range session to it. Not going to happen, though. 

Verdict for me: Failed the challenge. Strong grip was better than the weak grip. May not have been a great idea to try this, because now I'm thinking I should weaken my grip in my normal swing to get the ball started further to the right ... :whistle:

Edited by DeadMan

I struggle to keep the face square, and I am quite interested in it.

Is there a best exercise for practicing it?

Would you consider this challenge to be such an exercise?

Is it purely mental, or can it be a muscle memory endeavor?

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Verdict for me: Failed the challenge. Strong grip was better than the weak grip. May not have been a great idea to try this, because now I'm thinking I should weaken my grip in my normal swing to get the ball started further to the right ... :whistle:

Your second video wasn't too far off. And I think if you thought about it a bit, you could pull it off. It's just about feeling the club face and knowing what conditions you have to make occur around impact (weak = handle pretty far forward, palmar flexed left wrist turned down to the ground, etc.) to hit the ball straight.

1 hour ago, Cantankerish said:

I struggle to keep the face square, and I am quite interested in it.

Is there a best exercise for practicing it?

Would you consider this challenge to be such an exercise?

Is it purely mental, or can it be a muscle memory endeavor?

I think you're taking it more seriously than intended. It's just a challenge, to see if you can hit the ball straight. It's not a drill or an exercise.

If I'm working on a drill or exercises for club face control I usually like the old "set up straight, square, and have someone say 'left, right, or straight' during the early takeaway" type of thing.