IGNORED

Best kind of hole in one

crawf061
Note: This thread is 5920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Best kind of hole in one?

• Seeing the ball going in the hole
    • Unsure until you see the ball in the hole
    • It matters not, an ace is an ace

I got my first last year, a shot that I nearly didn't see go in. It was a greatly sunken green so view wasn't the issue. I was putting my club back in my bag, because it didn't occur to me it had a chance to go in. Turns out, it landed on the green but on a mound, the backside of a greenfront bunker, that started it going right toward the hole. My buddy just kept saying, 'look at it, look at it...' I turned just in time to see the last 2-3 feet of roll and in, and the height of the teebox made it a bird's eye view. I would have felt dumb if I'd missed it. Which leads me to, there's really three choices:

1) Aces you don't see because you can't
2) Aces you don't see because you just missed it
3) Aces you don't have a chance of seeing

I've had hole-outs to very uphill greens that you had no chance of seeing, and that's always a rush to get up to the green, not see a ball, then do that real slow stroll over to the cup, when you hold your breath as you peer over the cup....

In the end, I'll take actually seeing your ace go in, because I'd want to know for sure how it went in. When I tell my story, I like the fact that I know right where it bounced, what direction it kicked, how it broke while it rolled.... If it's blind and goes in, who knows...

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

So it was the 12th hole at Augusta... Tiger had me by a stroke and it was starting to rain, so we decided to finish the hole and take it in for the day.

He is tee'ing first, and lands his ball just inches from the hole, looks at me and says, "Well that's game." I tee-up for the heck of it, and rip my 5-wood straight for the green... two hops and... in the hole!

Tiger taps in for his birdie, and we drive back to the clubhouse tied...

-----------------------

Oh wait... do you mean a hole-in-one I've made while awake? Oh... no... never had one of those...

To answer the topic question though... I pray when I hit my first hole-in-one...

Not only do I want to see it go in... but I want a camcorder in my hand, a news chopper in the air, a megaphone, and fireworks in my bag.

All of Memphis, TN and the two surrounding states will know when I hit my first ace.

Clubs in my Army-issued duffel-bag...

DTR Irons : 2-9
DCI Wedges : PW 48* & SW 56*
Driver : Mid-Size TP System2 9.5* Metalwood (5) 23*

Never had one

I really wouldnt care how I got one but If I had my choice there are 2 things that would be nice...
1. WITNESS ( I cant imagine getting a hole in one and not being able to prove it)
2. Off of a good shot (not an accident).

"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Never had one

I agree with you 100%. An Ace is an Ace unless there is no witness. As far as the good shot goes it would be a plus, but over the years the story would evolve from off the trees to straight and high with a slight draw before hopping once and rolling 3 feet into the cup.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

An ace is an ace, no matter how it goes in. I didn't see mine go in the hole but one of my playing partners said, "did that just go in?". I said I didn't think so but it should be close. But much to my pleasure it was in. My regular playing partners didn't believe me at first. However, my buddy and I had just paired up with a single to finish the last few holes. So I would said it is best when you have witnesses to validate.

edit: I wasn't able to see it due to the small bunker in front of the green partially blocked my view, but I hit it straight at it and knew once it carried the bunker it was a good shot. The two people 20 yards right of the tee box saw it one hop in to the hole.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I agree with you 100%. An Ace is an Ace unless there is no witness. As far as the good shot goes it would be a plus, but over the years the story would evolve from off the trees to straight and high with a slight draw before hopping once and rolling 3 feet into the cup.

Yes that is true it probably would evolve nicely!

"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

I would like to see the ball going in the hole. You have the distance of the hole (and watching your playing partners hack around) to enjoy the moment.

If I didn't see it go in - i'd probably have a heart attack as I go from "ok - ball isn't on green, misclubbed - I can't see it in the bunker, it must be way over the back.....to WOW - hole in one! I just changed a 4 into a 1!

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

best kind of hole in one? Thats like the best kind of million dollar lotto winning being either powerball or mega millions.

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

Note: This thread is 5920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!