IGNORED

Callaway Ball Cross Section - Innermost Layer Off Center

Note: This thread is 1696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been noticing posts like this in my social feed, where you see the cross section of the ball and the middle layer is off center. Maybe I dunno, 1/500 are like this? Or not? How does this effect performance full swing and putting?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• nevets88 changed the title to Callaway Ball Cross Section - Innermost Layer Off Center
  • Administrator

Probably counterfeit.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

These guys discuss it in this podcast

Callaway CEO didn't necessarily claim the counterfeit card.  

These guys tend to think Callaway possibly doesn't have the same levels of quality control that other brands do

John

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, SG11118 said:

These guys discuss it in this podcast

Callaway CEO didn't necessarily claim the counterfeit card.  

These guys tend to think Callaway possibly doesn't have the same levels of quality control that other brands do

I don’t trust MGS re:Callaway.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm sure they have some bias.

12 of the 14 clubs in my bag are Callaway.  I also play Callaway balls.  I'm not particularly happy about deciding to play Phil Mickelson's brand, and I'm not happy about how off-center this Callaway ball was, but it is what it is.  I listened to this podcast a couple weeks ago and from what I remember, the guy they were interviewing who had done the research was pretty careful not to bash Callaway.  He considered the off-center more of a general problem with all golf ball manufacturers (the worst example of which they found was the one Callaway chrome soft ball).  They found examples of an off-center core in a wide variety of balls.  They urged manufacturers to spend more time with quality control and less time coming up with marketing gimics.  

John

Hmmm, I just bought 24 Callaway Hex Tour Soft at Costco, haven't seen this problem I don't think. I've played the Chrome Soft and never experienced a problem, we'll see I guess. Anyone play this Hex Tour Soft ball?  

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!