IGNORED

Strong Grip With Cupped Wrist vs Closed Clubface at Address?

Note: This thread is 1695 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Saw a video from Martin Chuck about the subject and it's something I never thought of.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=2ahUKEwjMr-mv6p7kAhUkSN8KHWaYA7UQwqsBMAB6BAgHEAQ&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

It talked about setting up with the strong grip with cupped wrist and square face vs taking the strong grip but allowing a straighter wrist and allowing the club to sit closed.

(The reverse could also be true of people who make weak trips work but setup with open clubface vs square faces.)

So what would be the difference? Wouldnt both still get to the same closed clubface at the top? At parallel?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Strong Grip With Cupped Wrist vs Closed Clubface at Address?
  • Administrator

That URL doesn't seem to work. I get nothing when I click on it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 8/25/2019 at 4:15 PM, cutchemist42 said:

Saw a video from Martin Chuck about the subject and it's something I never thought of.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=2ahUKEwjMr-mv6p7kAhUkSN8KHWaYA7UQwqsBMAB6BAgHEAQ&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

It talked about setting up with the strong grip with cupped wrist and square face vs taking the strong grip but allowing a straighter wrist and allowing the club to sit closed.

(The reverse could also be true of people who make weak trips work but setup with open clubface vs square faces.)

So what would be the difference? Wouldnt both still get to the same closed clubface at the top? At parallel?

Is this the video?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Interesting! I remember playing in a TST outing at Eagle Creek in Norwalk, OH a few years back, and there was a guy in the other team we were playing with, who closed the face of his clubs substantially at address!  He hit the ball quite nicely, and scored pretty well. 

In addition, I sometimes think quite a few guys can't really recognize a "square" clubface. I've seen plenty of guys who set up with an open clubface.

A video of Sean O'hair setting up with a closed club face but still hitting the ball straight (can't see what shape the ball flight ends up with though).

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Interesting! I remember playing in a TST outing at Eagle Creek in Norwalk, OH a few years back, and there was a guy in the other team we were playing with, who closed the face of his clubs substantially at address!  He hit the ball quite nicely, and scored pretty well.

That would be Vishal (@GolfLug).

He has his reasons. Broken bone that didn’t set correctly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 9/3/2019 at 8:32 AM, iacas said:

That would be Vishal (@GolfLug).

He has his reasons. Broken bone that didn’t set correctly.

Understood! My partner and I both noticed it, and we saw you asking about how it was working out for him during the round. His compensation seemed to work quite well. 

The larger point could be that there is no one perfect way to hit a golf ball. Well, maybe there might be, but I don't know that humans are capable of achieving it. The minor point is, you can find a way to overcome difficulties. Vishal had a pretty nice game, and hit some impressive shots! 

Note: This thread is 1695 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!