golfer2b2000

Question About Offset in Irons

7 posts / 727 viewsLast Reply

What does "more offset" in a set of irons make you hit the ball?

I am getting very confused by this.

Would like to hear what you guys think about it...

Thank you

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

22 minutes ago, golfer2b2000 said:

What does "more offset" in a set of irons make you hit the ball?

It helps golfers align the face more to the left, so those that slice the ball, can start the ball a bit more left and get closer to a pull with less slice curve.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, arturo28mx said:

I have read it also helps hit the ball higher

I think the jury is out on that. It helps robots launch the ball higher, but I've seen stuff with real people where the results don't match the robot testing.

If you tend to hook the ball, it helps hook the ball even more! I have trouble aiming the face on irons with a lot of offset. They always look closed to me.

9 hours ago, billchao said:

I think the jury is out on that. It helps robots launch the ball higher, but I've seen stuff with real people where the results don't match the robot testing.

I think human intention can matter a bit. We instinctively want to hit a ball a certain way. Or see the ball go a certain way. I can see us making micro adjustments to try to get the ball to match our intent.

It does move the CG back further, which will help the ball get into the air more. It's probably the easiest way to shift the CG a large amount versus redesigning the actual clubhead.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2020 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    • That’s an example of what frustrates me with Jim. He says ‘ it’s easy to analyze your errors. If you hit it fat...you must’ve shifted your weight back. You can’t hit the ball fat fat with your weight forward.’ That is 100% wrong as @billchao explained. Why the monitor? Because JV clearly states ‘ this is not just a swing for high handicappers or physically disabled, it’s a swing for the elite players as well.’ Ok. Now with this along with Jim saying he swings his driver at 118mph and hits his 9i 150yds...I wanna see the proof. He also states hitting up on the driver is wrong because all you have to do to lower spin is to shallow your path which his set up does. He’s wrong telling high handicap golfers to hit down with their driver. They will lose distance unless they generate pro level SS, which he claims one can with his swing. He’s also never posted any verified scores. If he was really gonna bring this swing to the mainstream he’d have a podcast or a discussion with known swing gurus and disprove them all. His constant claims that the traditional method isn’t the best way to generate speed/power and that all these pros and instructors are wrong is disingenuous at best. If you’re gonna make these claims you should be able to prove it. He’s a nice guy but he has a bit of an edge with traditional golf in everything. That’s why he wears t-shirts and chuck taylor shoes, which is fine,  but it goes along with his ‘rebellious’ nature to go against the grain. Which is also just fine but I don’t like that he gets defensive and makes snarky comments ( like he did to @iacas) rather than engage in a professional discussion about physics and the mechanics of a golf swing.
    • Had my first eagle since my 25 year hiatus 😀
    • Yeah that may be it too. My hybrid is a diamana White 70g stiff. The TM was a 65g stiff. The 818 does feel a lot heavier though. 
    • Little confused by your comments concerning the offset being the problem. Titleist makes some of the least offset clubs on the market across the board including hybrids. Probably less offset than TM. I am thinking this is more of a weight issue than an offset issue. Shaft weight and swing weight. Would really make sure you have the correct shaft weight in that hybrid as they can be all over the map as far as what the OEMs choose to install stock. That being said, the new TM hybrids will look very similar in general to the old Rescues.
    • Winning The British Open gives you a 5 year exemption to like everything. So through 2022? Plus forever at Masters and until he’s 60 at British Open since he won them. Im sure he gets something for his top 3 at the PGA last year, but my answer is prob close enough  
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. BreakingBadly
      BreakingBadly
      (37 years old)
    2. dreamcrusher28
      dreamcrusher28
      (48 years old)
    3. jfmario20
      jfmario20
      (37 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...