IGNORED

Wedges With Grooves All Over Their Faces

Note: This thread is 1671 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I carry Titleist Vokey wedges and have for many many years. I like that I don't have to think every time I replace them. It's easy. I just get the same specs as I've had before and I know what they are going to do. I nearly always get the previous year's model. Still brand new, but the previous year saves me about 40% off the cost. 

Anyway, lately I've seen a number of folks I've played with who carry the Callaway PM Grind wedges, which have grooves all over their face. Taylormade hi-toe wedges have that feature as well. I don't know if it actually makes any difference, but to my mind it totally makes sense to put the groves all over the face. It actually makes me wonder why all wedges aren't made that way. 

Anyone have any thoughts about this. Why do most manufacturers leave the toe of the wedge "ungrooved"? Does it really help to have the whole face covered in groves? 

On a related note, does anyone play a Hi-Toe wedge? Seems like a good idea as well, especially for lob wedges, 60 degree and the like. Seems like it would give you more surface from which to hit a shot when trying to take a bigger swing. I don't use my lob wedge that way, but it seems like it would help if I did. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had to go check my wedges, and see if the toes were grooved, or not. They're not. I never really thought of it till just now.

I have no idea why the grooves do not extend all the way to the toe, or if it even would help. Perhaps it's because the ball is to be hit off the center of the club face, and extending the grooves was not part of the R & D to save on manufacturing costs. 

I know when I chip, and hit shorter pitches, I contact the club face closer to the toe than I do with my normal full swing shots. This is due to my set up, and using my putting stroke. Perhaps extended grooves would be a better way to go. I just don't know. 

I know grooves are there to help dissipate water, and other debris. Also, to some extent to help with putting more back spin on the ball. 

I was never one to be able to put enough spin on the ball to have it roll back on the green. I just never had that swing technique, even though other, required, non swing conditions were favorable. . 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

It's really just a gimmick. The reason why most wedges don't have grooves all over the face is because you don't make contact with the face in those areas. If you are, then you have bigger issues than a lack of spin and you should probably be looking at something more forgiving like Cleveland CBX. I know if you open the face and take a full swing you may miss out on the high toe more often, but I don't think I have ever made contact on those parts of the face. This is just TaylorMade and Callaway trying to steal a little more market share from Titleist Vokeys.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Adam C said:

It's really just a gimmick. The reason why most wedges don't have grooves all over the face is because you don't make contact with the face in those areas. If you are, then you have bigger issues than a lack of spin and you should probably be looking at something more forgiving like Cleveland CBX. I know if you open the face and take a full swing you may miss out on the high toe more often, but I don't think I have ever made contact on those parts of the face. This is just TaylorMade and Callaway trying to steal a little more market share from Titleist Vokeys.

I love your answer. You are probably right. When ever I replace my Vokeys, its because the face has worn significantly. Generally that wear is limited to pretty close to the center of the face. (I wish it was a dime sized area in the middle, but it's pretty much a silver dollar sized area.) I don't think I've ever worn out the toe of my wedges before. 

I have to admit I'm happy with Vokeys. Again, every time I replace them I don't have to think about it at all. I know what I'm getting. I've played with guys who will hit a short shot, be dissatisfied with it, and lament "I'm still learning these new wedges." Not a problem for me. My only decision is do I want oil-can, satin, or black finish? 

I will say my ONLY issue with Vokeys is I wish they came with mid-sized grips.. 

• iacas changed the title to Wedges With Grooves All Over Their Faces
  • Administrator

Grooves being only in the center help you line up the ball with the sweet spot.

Grooves out to the toe make that spot or area "larger" and thus make aligning the ball to the center of the face more difficult.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Grooves being only in the center help you line up the ball with the sweet spot.

Grooves out to the toe make that spot or area "larger" and thus make aligning the ball to the center of the face more difficult.

Interesting take. Do you really think that's true? I don't think I use the grooves to align other clubs. I can't see the grooves when I line up a 3 iron for example. I'm not sure if I use the "grooves" to align my wedges? I think I just kind of put the wedge behind the ball and swing. I think I can tell where the middle of my clubface is with or without some kind of groove pattern. But maybe I use them and don't even realize it. Hmmm??? I've used drivers with and without an alignment aid, it doesn't seem to matter. 

I'll have to think about that one. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I don't think I use the grooves to align other clubs.

Of course you do.

And I've seen studies done on this, too: they'll move the grooves 1/4" or some distance, and people will line up the ball differently.

It's not that you're actively "using the grooves" but you're using the lines where the grooves end in the heel and face (which is why many clubs also have a contrasting finish to these areas) to help center the ball between those.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1671 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!