IGNORED

Weight training?

Chilidipper
Note: This thread is 5915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here is a decent one:

http://www.mytpi.com/

Pretty much any weight lifting will help your game unless your trying to lift really heavy and are putting strain on your joints. Moderate weight with high reps (10-12) is key. I have been lifting since November and can def. tell a difference. I mix in cardio to get the heart rate up.

I have a lot more control of my swing when I try to get a little more swing speed.

Here is what I do (if you even care lol):
All 3 sets each

Bench Press
Incline Dumbell
Cable Crossover
Dumbell Press

Dumbell Curl
Preacher Curl
Barbell Curl
Hammer Curl

Tricep pulldown
Dips

Lat Cable Pulldown
Row Machine
Back Rows

Sqauts
Leg Press

That is pretty much all I do and I know I should focus on some of the muscle groups more but I also play some ice hockey so it all works out. You should def. start a program up and stick with it. It will really help your golf game in my opinion.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

If you are wanting to play better golf then avoid the fixed weight machines! I recently read an article with Paul Casey's fitness coach and the new type of training method used on tour is multi-muscle movements. This is them avoiding work on one muscle but using medicine balls. It said this was a benefit as the golf swing is a movement that requires lots of muscles to work and co-ordination between them is very important!

If you want to improve golf then look for golf specific drills as such exercises like biceps curls can destroy your golf swing although may make you like muscly.

Sorry I have no websites to offer you but I am about to start a 3 year degree as a Physiotherapist so I am very interested in this kind of thing!
Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
Winston Churchill

Taylor Made r7 425
Taylor Made V steel 3woodCleveland Halo 2hybridCallaway Big Bertha 4-9Taylor Made 48 & 56Taylor Made Tp 52Odyssey XG 2ball...

explain to me how bicep curls destroy your golf swing. as long as you strech your muscles out, it wont matter.

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

A general weight training program can and will do wonders for your overall health and fitness. Make sure to include some cardio work, stretching and/or yoga to enhance your flexibility.

I lift 2-3 times a week and do cardio another 2-3 times a week and I am not muscle-bound. The strength and endurance gained will be of great benefit late in your rounds, especially if you walk and carry like I do!

Love the Tiger photo. I pretty sure he does fixed weight lifting for his core muscles.

I do A-level pe and it has inspired me to come up with a golf specific work out, I am going to do some detailed research in to the perfect golf work out, and also the perfect golf diet and when I do I will post my results.

However just a quick note of advice, no matter what particular exercise you choose to perform, make sure you choose a light weight (about 70 - 80% of your maximal lift) and perform long and slow actions, this ensures you improve both the strength and length of your muscles. Choosing a weight which is 90 - 100% of your maximal lift will force you to make short and quick movements, which gives you more chance of injury, and less chance of improving your golf related strength.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

heavy weights and low reps build bulky muscles. you would not want to do that for golf. im not a sports fitness expert by any means but I do know that advice is wrong. also, a risk of joint injury is increased when using a high % of your max lifting weight

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

Tiger has not gained that muscle from doing bicep curls! There are lots of other drills that work on bicep muscles but are not regimented as bicep curls! He probably uses the X-weight machine to work all muscle groups by adopting a golf posture and swing the cables!
Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
Winston Churchill

Taylor Made r7 425
Taylor Made V steel 3woodCleveland Halo 2hybridCallaway Big Bertha 4-9Taylor Made 48 & 56Taylor Made Tp 52Odyssey XG 2ball...

well in his article with men's fitness, it says he uses free weights. so there is no way to get bigger biceps than to do bicep curls or pull ups that I am aware of. You pretty much have to flex the muscle to make it stronger and the only way to flex it is to curl it lol.

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

I'd look more into stretching. There's plenty of long, good ball strikers who hardly work out, but because they have good flexibility they are able to hit the ball so well. Particularly I'd look to increase flexibility in the hips, groin and shoulders. If you're flexible it'll increase the likelihood of you executing a golf swing properly.

Weights can help, but they do no good if you lose your flexibility in the process.

3JACK

It's funny that there is always advice against lifting weights given by people who have never exercised to amount to anything. I lift weights, but not for anything specific for any sport. You need to work everything. Spend more time on strecthing than on lifting. Don't lift to see how much you can lift. I've never done that and have never been injured. I did start in 1963 though and it's a good thing that I didn't have more than 110 lbs. when I was a teenager. I squat 365, do flat flys with 45 lb dumbbells and do various bicep curls. 12 to 15 reps on my final sets. I've been doing the same routine with weights, which does vary some each week to a schedule, for 13 years. I'm 57 years old and just started golf this past August, although I did live across the street from a driving range in 1973. I'm 5'7" and 180 so not exactly a hulk. I drive over 300 yards with roll from my 3 wood. Just installed an xstiff in my driver so am anxious to try that tomorrow after the epoxy has had plenty of time to cure. Playing around in Golfsmith last week I found out that my controllable swing speed was 120.6. My best score so far has been 2 over on 9 holes. My putting needs improvement. If I hadn't been exercising all this time I think my entry into this sport would have been a bit different.

Lifting weights can only help your golf. Don't overdo it. Go slow letting all the muscles in supporting roles learn their job. I only work each muscle group once a week but I'm just trying to maintain, not to keep building. Spend much more time stretching than you do lifting. Heck, being fit strong and flexible will make everything you do more enjoyable. I've never seen anyone I consider to be really strong who does not work free weights.

That is a great website, rep points coming your way.

Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I glanced over that link and it looks very good. Watch the rotator cuff exercises. I don't think they went into those deep enough and maybe only enough to get people into trouble. At best the rotator cuff muscles are very small and should never be worked with anything like heavy weights. I would say that a person would have to be working them for years before going above 10 pounds. I do rotator cuff exercises three days before I work shoulders. I do the ones they show plus one that has the upper arm about 45 degrees in from the shouldler and with the elbow down at another 45 degrees resting on a table. This is one muscle group where I strongly recommend getting someone who knows how to show you-and this is not someone who just passed some certification a few weeks ago.

Note: This thread is 5915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!