Gremmie

Which Ball Would Be Best For.....

9 posts / 1026 viewsLast Reply

Too many variables before we can give you an answer.  Depends on your swing and swing speed.  Then depends what type of shots you want to hit, though being a beginner am gonna guess working a ball is not yet a skill you have mastered.  Also, depends on what you want from a ball.  Many golfers start from around the green and work backwards to decide the type of ball they want

As a beginner the game can seem overwhelming.  Try to keep it simple.  Don't worry so much about the ball but I strongly suggest that once you find a ball you like stick with it.  Don't play every different ball you find as it introduces too many variables.  You wouldn't play a difference set of clubs each round; so again - keep it simple.  Also laminated woods are old technology. Try to get a newer 460cc driver that will be much easier to hit.  Something used that is a good fit for you will be fine. 

If you are a true beginner, I wouldn't even worry about picking a ball. Play what you find, and enjoy the fact that balls will be free until you decide you want to stick with one (maybe a year in)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wilson Ultras. 15 pack $9.99 on Amazon. Great distance ball for cheap. 

After many years and a few more expensive brands, this ball performs for me. Plus no one ever picks up an Ultra on the course “by accident” 

27 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

If you are a true beginner, I wouldn't even worry about picking a ball. Play what you find, and enjoy the fact that balls will be free until you decide you want to stick with one (maybe a year in)

I agree. Specially if you are losing a lot of golf balls when you are out playing!

On 1/20/2020 at 1:20 AM, Gremmie said:

Laminated woods?  Low Compression or does it even matter?  Keep in mind that I am a beginner.

Save the money on balls and play what you find on the course, then use that money to replace your laminated woods 😃

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Save the money on balls and play what you find on the course, then use that money to replace your laminated woods 😃

Yeah, my eyebrows went up on that one. But then the guy's a beginner! Any old port in a storm, right? And hey, I'll play found ball as long as they don't come out of the water. And there are plenty of inexpensive balls out there. I like the "Double Dozen" of Precept Laddies for 20 bucks at WalMart. Usually buy one every other Spring. I won't have to buy this Spring because I still have some left. Didn't lose that many balls last year!