IGNORED

Match Shafts for Driver and 3 wood???

Note: This thread is 1094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 hours ago, Sillysavage25 said:

Anyone match their 3 wood shaft to their driver shaft? Is it recommended or not recommended? any thoughts or opinions appreciated. TIA!!! 

Usually the wood shafts are a bit heavier even if it the same model. A shaft type can have the same launch and feel, but a 70g shaft on a driver will feel different than a 70g on a 3W. I play the same model shaft in my driver and 3W but the 3W is a 70g and driver 60g.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most better players will stagger the weights even if they stay with the same model shaft. The weight is by far the most important element with shafts so I would be more concerned with getting the correct weight for the 3 wood more so than the particular shaft brand and model.

As far as how many players match shaft model vs something different, I would say maybe 15-20% of pro golfers match the brand and model just as a point of reference.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Usually the wood shafts are a bit heavier even if it the same model. A shaft type can have the same launch and feel, but a 70g shaft on a driver will feel different than a 70g on a 3W. I play the same model shaft in my driver and 3W but the 3W is a 70g and driver 60g.

I currently have a 60 gram shaft in my 3W. So, should I go to 50 gram shaft for my driver? Also will 50 gram seem too light? 

I would say that depends on how well you hit your current 3 wood and driver. If you are happy with the 3 wood weight, then I might look at going lighter with the driver. If you are inconsistent with the 60g 3 wood, I might look at something in the 70g range and keep the driver around 60.

Just remember, these are not hard and fast rules. You may find that you prefer both at the same weight. I can't tell you that. It requires you trying different weights and seeing shat works.

Also if you are interested in "trying" a heavier 3 wood shaft, you can run strips of lead tape lengthwise down the shaft, to bring the weight up. Just keep the tape starting a couple inches from the grip and go down. Cheap and simple way to try a heavier shaft. Sorry I don't have a way to fake making a shaft lighter though, that would just require a different shaft.

• Thumbs Up 1

All about how the club feels and performs for you. When I was younger I had a driver and 3 wood with the same shaft/same weight but currently I have different shafts and different weights.  As my game evolves, hopefully for the better, what I want out of my driver and fairway wood have changed.  Without a world class short game, I favor accuracy over distance.  310 yrds in the deep cabbage has always been no bueno for me.       

• 1 year later...

I used to play heavier shafts in my fairways than my driver, but that did not work for me.  I play a Ping G400 driver with an Aldila NV orange (for higher launch)reg. 55 gram shaft and Ping G 3 & 5 woods with Aldila NV green reg. 55 grams. Can't hit hybrids and found an old Adams Tight Lies 7 wood with a Bassara 55 gram shaft and hit it great.  OCD is telling me to find a Ping G 7 wood, but the Adams plays so well my scorecard currently overrides the OCD. 

• 1 month later...

I have the new IM10 HZRDOUS in my 3w and had the shaft in my driver. Love it in the 3w, can't hit the similar shaft in the driver. Swapped it for a riptide shaft. Both are stiff flex, 3w slightly heavier. 

Note: This thread is 1094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!