IGNORED

Trying to Find the Right Hybrid

Double_AA
Note:Β This thread is 1481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I bought a Titleist 818h1Β a few months back and I have tried and tried to hit it but I just can't... I absolutely hate it.. I am constantly hitting a very slow slice if I even make contact at all. Ive tried out different settings on the hosel but nothing has helped. I am thinking the offset on the club is throwing me off.

Today while golfing with a friend I hit his Taylormade Mid Rescue 2 16* and I absolutely loved it. It was so easy for me to hit and I am thinking that it may be due to the very small amount of offset on it and the head was much more compact. It just had more of an iron type feel maybe?

Anyways, I am having trouble finding one of these in decent shape because its a pretty old model club. So I am wondering if anyone can recommend something similar to this??

Β 

Β 

TM Rescue 3 hy.jpg

Edited by Double_AA
typo - I have an 818h1 not h2

Driver:Β Ping G410 Plus 9
3-Wood:Β Titleist 917F2 16.5Β 
Irons:Β Titleist AP3Β 4-Pw

Wedges:Β 48,52,56Β Titleist vokey
Putter:Β Scotty Select NewportΒ 
Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As soon as I read the topic, I knew my answer...and you hit on it.Β All about the offset IMO.

Obviously make sure the shaft suits you, but I’d pick an offset that youΒ like the look ofΒ and seem to hit well.

That is my amateur 2 centsΒ 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I agree I really really hate offset. I'm going to try to get to Dick's soon to see if I can find any other hybrids that look like this one did at address. I never really hook hybrids but the offset just scrambles my brain I think lol and I can barely hit the ball.

• Thumbs Up 1

Β 

I'm looking into the Taylormade M3 Rescue it looks similar to what I am after I think.

Β 

Too may variables to say why you hit it low and slice. Β Shaft too stiff, offset, size of grip, etc. Β  Most complain offset causes a hook not a slice. Β Keep trying different hybrids.

Little confused by your comments concerning the offset being the problem. Titleist makes some of the least offset clubs on the market across the board including hybrids. Probably less offset than TM. I am thinking this is more of a weight issue than an offset issue. Shaft weight and swing weight. Would really make sure you have the correct shaft weight in that hybrid as they can be all over the map as far as what the OEMs choose to install stock.

That being said, the new TM hybrids will look very similar in general to the old Rescues.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Adam C said:

Little confused by your comments concerning the offset being the problem. Titleist makes some of the least offset clubs on the market across the board including hybrids. Probably less offset than TM. I am thinking this is more of a weight issue than an offset issue. Shaft weight and swing weight. Would really make sure you have the correct shaft weight in that hybrid as they can be all over the map as far as what the OEMs choose to install stock.

That being said, the new TM hybrids will look very similar in general to the old Rescues.

Yeah that may be it too. My hybrid is a diamana White 70g stiff. The TM was a 65g stiff. The 818 does feel a lot heavier though.Β 

Β 

3 hours ago, Double_AA said:

I bought a Titleist 818h1Β a few months back and I have tried and tried to hit it but I just can't... I absolutely hate it.. I am constantly hitting a very slow slice if I even make contact at all. Ive tried out different settings on the hosel but nothing has helped. I am thinking the offset on the club is throwing me off.

Today while golfing with a friend I hit his Taylormade Mid Rescue 2 16* and I absolutely loved it. It was so easy for me to hit and I am thinking that it may be due to the very small amount of offset on it and the head was much more compact. It just had more of an iron type feel maybe?

Anyways, I am having trouble finding one of these in decent shape because its a pretty old model club. So I am wondering if anyone can recommend something similar to this??

Β 

Β 

TM Rescue 3 hy.jpg

Β 

I'd start with the swing first.Β  If you're consistently hitting a low slice, that sounds like heel strikes to me, but it could also be a face to path issue, or both.Β  Spray the face with footspray and check strike; if you're striking it on the button, you've got some face to path issues.Β 

You could hit others better, but don't expect a whole lot of difference in a mere club change, absent a good swing and a good fitting.Β  That said, there's tons of good hybrids out there in the new market and on eBay.Β  I have 2 nike vapor speed hybrids and a TM gapr hi.Β  They're all good clubs.Β  The TM feels funky with that speed foam; can't decide if I like it, but I like the results with it.

9 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I'd start with the swing first.Β  If you're consistently hitting a low slice, that sounds like heel strikes to me, but it could also be a face to path issue, or both.Β  Spray the face with footspray and check strike; if you're striking it on the button, you've got some face to path issues.Β 

You could hit others better, but don't expect a whole lot of difference in a mere club change, absent a good swing and a good fitting.Β  That said, there's tons of good hybrids out there in the new market and on eBay.Β  I have 2 nike vapor speed hybrids and a TM gapr hi.Β  They're all good clubs.Β  The TM feels funky with that speed foam; can't decide if I like it, but I like the results with it.

There’s definitely something funky going on with it. I’m hitting all of my clubs great right now. Drives are straight, irons down to 4i, and my 3 wood off of the fairway is fine. I played the entire round with my friends hybrid today and only mis hit it once (topped). It was straight on mostly all shots maybe a slight fade on a few.Β I would be curious to see what’s going on with some spray with my hybrid. Anyways this is why I’m thinking the look at address is just messing with my head. I’m pretty new to the game though btw so my hybrid is literally the only one I’ve ever hit or had. I’m also the idiot that buys stuff off the shelf (Or just online better yet)Β that I think will work lol not many resources around me to try stuff out. I do have a dicks sporting goods though so I’m going to try some stuff out there this week.Β 

Β 

Update** after reading into the h1 and watching a few videos on it I the club actually has some onset instead of offset. Maybe that’s why it is so strange to me. Their h2 model actually has a small amount of offset. I’m not bashing titleist either in any way all my other clubs are titleist and I love them. This one is just odd to me and definitely doesn’t work out. My miss tends to be more right sided so not getting along with an onset club does make sense.Β Going to go demo some other hybrids tomorrow I will update with what I find!Β 

Β 

7 hours ago, Double_AA said:

Update** after reading into the h1 and watching a few videos on it I the club actually has some onset instead of offset.

Where did you read this? It doesn’t have negative offset. I’ve played the H1 and now H2. As @Adam CΒ stated above, shaft weight is important. The amount of offset is really not important. I switched to a 90g shaft and that helped a lot.

As @ncates00Β stated, your swing may also be the issue. The hybrid is a transition club between irons and woods. A veryΒ light shaft can affect that swing. I reviewed a Ping Hybrid for this site with a very light shaft and it really was hard to hit.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/review/ping_crossover_review

Β 

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Where did you read this? It doesn’t have negative offset. I’ve played the H1 and now H2. As @Adam CΒ stated above, shaft weight is important. The amount of offset is really not important. I switched to a 90g shaft and that helped a lot.

As @ncates00Β stated, your swing may also be the issue. The hybrid is a transition club between irons and woods. A veryΒ light shaft can affect that swing. I reviewed a Ping Hybrid for this site with a very light shaft and it really was hard to hit.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/review/ping_crossover_review

Β 

This is kind of what I'm talking about. I don't know that it is necessarily anΒ onset club but at address it looks like it is to my eye with the leading edge being ahead of the shaft slightly.

Β It may be the shaft but when I hit my friends hybrid the weight was only 5g different. I know there are different bend profiles etc. but I'm not sure that shaft weight was the issue,Β maybe head weight? Anyways I think his hybrid looked more like an H2 square face, larger toe; just an all around more "iron" feel.Β Β 

Once again, I should of at least went and hit a few different hybrids to find one that worked instead of just ordering something I thought would work.Β πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

Β 

Forgot to update; I tried a few different hybrids at dicks the other day and the M3 was exactly what I was looking for. It has a tensei blue 80g shaft. Played with it today after work and had no problem getting the ball in the air with a slight fade. πŸ™‚Β 

Β 

• iacas changed the title to Trying to Find the Right Hybrid
Note:Β This thread is 1481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!