Jump to content
Double_AA

Trying to Find the Right Hybrid

14 posts / 691 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I bought a Titleist 818h1 a few months back and I have tried and tried to hit it but I just can't... I absolutely hate it.. I am constantly hitting a very slow slice if I even make contact at all. Ive tried out different settings on the hosel but nothing has helped. I am thinking the offset on the club is throwing me off.

Today while golfing with a friend I hit his Taylormade Mid Rescue 2 16* and I absolutely loved it. It was so easy for me to hit and I am thinking that it may be due to the very small amount of offset on it and the head was much more compact. It just had more of an iron type feel maybe?

Anyways, I am having trouble finding one of these in decent shape because its a pretty old model club. So I am wondering if anyone can recommend something similar to this??

 

 

TM Rescue 3 hy.jpg

Edited by Double_AA
typo - I have an 818h1 not h2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As soon as I read the topic, I knew my answer...and you hit on it. All about the offset IMO.

Obviously make sure the shaft suits you, but I’d pick an offset that you like the look of and seem to hit well.

That is my amateur 2 cents 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah I agree I really really hate offset. I'm going to try to get to Dick's soon to see if I can find any other hybrids that look like this one did at address. I never really hook hybrids but the offset just scrambles my brain I think lol and I can barely hit the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm looking into the Taylormade M3 Rescue it looks similar to what I am after I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Too may variables to say why you hit it low and slice.  Shaft too stiff, offset, size of grip, etc.   Most complain offset causes a hook not a slice.  Keep trying different hybrids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little confused by your comments concerning the offset being the problem. Titleist makes some of the least offset clubs on the market across the board including hybrids. Probably less offset than TM. I am thinking this is more of a weight issue than an offset issue. Shaft weight and swing weight. Would really make sure you have the correct shaft weight in that hybrid as they can be all over the map as far as what the OEMs choose to install stock.

That being said, the new TM hybrids will look very similar in general to the old Rescues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Adam C said:

Little confused by your comments concerning the offset being the problem. Titleist makes some of the least offset clubs on the market across the board including hybrids. Probably less offset than TM. I am thinking this is more of a weight issue than an offset issue. Shaft weight and swing weight. Would really make sure you have the correct shaft weight in that hybrid as they can be all over the map as far as what the OEMs choose to install stock.

That being said, the new TM hybrids will look very similar in general to the old Rescues.

Yeah that may be it too. My hybrid is a diamana White 70g stiff. The TM was a 65g stiff. The 818 does feel a lot heavier though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Double_AA said:

I bought a Titleist 818h1 a few months back and I have tried and tried to hit it but I just can't... I absolutely hate it.. I am constantly hitting a very slow slice if I even make contact at all. Ive tried out different settings on the hosel but nothing has helped. I am thinking the offset on the club is throwing me off.

Today while golfing with a friend I hit his Taylormade Mid Rescue 2 16* and I absolutely loved it. It was so easy for me to hit and I am thinking that it may be due to the very small amount of offset on it and the head was much more compact. It just had more of an iron type feel maybe?

Anyways, I am having trouble finding one of these in decent shape because its a pretty old model club. So I am wondering if anyone can recommend something similar to this??

 

 

TM Rescue 3 hy.jpg

 

I'd start with the swing first.  If you're consistently hitting a low slice, that sounds like heel strikes to me, but it could also be a face to path issue, or both.  Spray the face with footspray and check strike; if you're striking it on the button, you've got some face to path issues. 

You could hit others better, but don't expect a whole lot of difference in a mere club change, absent a good swing and a good fitting.  That said, there's tons of good hybrids out there in the new market and on eBay.  I have 2 nike vapor speed hybrids and a TM gapr hi.  They're all good clubs.  The TM feels funky with that speed foam; can't decide if I like it, but I like the results with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I'd start with the swing first.  If you're consistently hitting a low slice, that sounds like heel strikes to me, but it could also be a face to path issue, or both.  Spray the face with footspray and check strike; if you're striking it on the button, you've got some face to path issues. 

You could hit others better, but don't expect a whole lot of difference in a mere club change, absent a good swing and a good fitting.  That said, there's tons of good hybrids out there in the new market and on eBay.  I have 2 nike vapor speed hybrids and a TM gapr hi.  They're all good clubs.  The TM feels funky with that speed foam; can't decide if I like it, but I like the results with it.

There’s definitely something funky going on with it. I’m hitting all of my clubs great right now. Drives are straight, irons down to 4i, and my 3 wood off of the fairway is fine. I played the entire round with my friends hybrid today and only mis hit it once (topped). It was straight on mostly all shots maybe a slight fade on a few. I would be curious to see what’s going on with some spray with my hybrid. Anyways this is why I’m thinking the look at address is just messing with my head. I’m pretty new to the game though btw so my hybrid is literally the only one I’ve ever hit or had. I’m also the idiot that buys stuff off the shelf (Or just online better yet) that I think will work lol not many resources around me to try stuff out. I do have a dicks sporting goods though so I’m going to try some stuff out there this week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Update** after reading into the h1 and watching a few videos on it I the club actually has some onset instead of offset. Maybe that’s why it is so strange to me. Their h2 model actually has a small amount of offset. I’m not bashing titleist either in any way all my other clubs are titleist and I love them. This one is just odd to me and definitely doesn’t work out. My miss tends to be more right sided so not getting along with an onset club does make sense. Going to go demo some other hybrids tomorrow I will update with what I find! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, Double_AA said:

Update** after reading into the h1 and watching a few videos on it I the club actually has some onset instead of offset.

Where did you read this? It doesn’t have negative offset. I’ve played the H1 and now H2. As @Adam C stated above, shaft weight is important. The amount of offset is really not important. I switched to a 90g shaft and that helped a lot.

As @ncates00 stated, your swing may also be the issue. The hybrid is a transition club between irons and woods. A very light shaft can affect that swing. I reviewed a Ping Hybrid for this site with a very light shaft and it really was hard to hit.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/review/ping_crossover_review

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Where did you read this? It doesn’t have negative offset. I’ve played the H1 and now H2. As @Adam C stated above, shaft weight is important. The amount of offset is really not important. I switched to a 90g shaft and that helped a lot.

As @ncates00 stated, your swing may also be the issue. The hybrid is a transition club between irons and woods. A very light shaft can affect that swing. I reviewed a Ping Hybrid for this site with a very light shaft and it really was hard to hit.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/review/ping_crossover_review

 

This is kind of what I'm talking about. I don't know that it is necessarily an onset club but at address it looks like it is to my eye with the leading edge being ahead of the shaft slightly.

 It may be the shaft but when I hit my friends hybrid the weight was only 5g different. I know there are different bend profiles etc. but I'm not sure that shaft weight was the issue, maybe head weight? Anyways I think his hybrid looked more like an H2 square face, larger toe; just an all around more "iron" feel.  

Once again, I should of at least went and hit a few different hybrids to find one that worked instead of just ordering something I thought would work. 🤦‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Forgot to update; I tried a few different hybrids at dicks the other day and the M3 was exactly what I was looking for. It has a tensei blue 80g shaft. Played with it today after work and had no problem getting the ball in the air with a slight fade. 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • Our owner committed to paying employees through March but has not announced if any future months will be paid. We have a $50 Food Minimum which the owner removed and I contacted the GM and asked if it could be donated to help staff. He indicated yes, so I authorized a $100 charge and hope other member donate also. There are staff members who have been at the club for years, it would be a bad situation if they do not return.
    • Yes, best wishes. So, guess I said it wrong.  I was just trying to emphasize how powerful this virus is.  It was around before the first human got it, and now there's no-telling how many million humans have it. It will be around regardless of what humans do, not that that is a reason not to do the best we can. As for Taiwan . . . "Early Action, Technology & Millions of Face Masks" . . . pretty much rules out the US's  Early Denial, No Testing and No PPE chances for a good outcome.  
    • For something like a driver, grip down for awhile before you make a decision.
    • My club sent out a letter just last week because of inquiries.  I copied and pasted the pertinent items outlined below. The Waterside Grill/Banquets/Special Events: 1. Detailed cleaning policy of the entire establishment, every 2 hours, set in place and strictly monitored. 2. Sit down restaurant dining has been eliminated to adhere to social distancing requirements. 3. Take-out orders are available based on limited menu. 4. Curb side pick-up available upon request. 5. No gathering of more than 10 people and social distancing within the building observed of 6 feet. 6. Cancellation/postponing of all scheduled events and community activities. 7. Special “Family Style” dinners for take-out and catering orders being offered. 8. Take out of mixed beverages allowed with food orders. Golf Operations: 1. Detailed cleaning policy of the entire establishment, every 2 hours, set in place and strictly monitored. 2. Social distancing of 6 feet per person required and no gathering of more than 10 people. 3. Golf cart ridership restricted to one person per cart (exception for family members only) 4. Flagpoles to remain in hole at all times. Flagpoles cleaned 2+ times per day. 5. Rakes removed from sand traps. 6. Driving range closed until further notice. Putting green open and flagpoles removed. 7. Removal of sand bottles and coolers from golf carts. 8. Golf carts cleaned and disinfected after each round. 9. Cancellation of all scheduled tournaments and events. 10. Elimination of all shot-gun starts to minimize crowd size in favor of tee times. 11. Remove water stations on golf course and provide bottle water for free. 12. Elimination of course beverage cart. Snacks, beverages and ice bags available in Pro Shop. Fitness Center: 1. The Fitness Center is closed until the COVID-19 social distancing requirement is removed. 2. Membership fees for the fitness center are suspended until the center is reopened. Tennis Courts: 1. Detailed cleaning policy of tennis court area, every 2 hours, set in place and strictly monitored. 2. Water stations removed. The club is doing all it can to remain open and keep as many of the employees working as they possibly can.  Our club is within a city that is solely within a gated community.  The golf course is more busy every day than it has ever been because of the "stay at home" order from the county.  Also, the golf course is considered to be a "park" and has not really had any issues staying open....so far.  What we do have to do is practice social distancing.   Also, the golf course is only open to members and their guests.  Outside players unaccompanied by a member...not allowed.   The county sheriff can show up at any time to make sure all the precautions required are in place and being observed.  As far as golf membership dues are concerned...we are paying what we always pay.    
    • Good stroke there. We didn’t film down the line but it’s a great way to practice (with the sticks) for the path.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Golf Live
      Golf Live
      (31 years old)
    2. Hanse
      Hanse
      (55 years old)
    3. quakebo
      quakebo
      (43 years old)
    4. SiTreach515
      SiTreach515
      (44 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...