IGNORED

How Much to Stash for Pebble?

ElWagonne
Note: This thread is 740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I've set me a goal to play Pebble Beach for my 40th, in roughly 2 years.  Here's my question, how much should I be looking to stash away to enjoy this experience (ballpark number).  Also, are there any other reasonably priced tracks near there or whatever airport I'd fly into?

• Thumbs Up 1

• boogielicious changed the title to How much to stash for Pebble
  • 1 month later...

Pebble is not for the faint of heart.

first off in order to make a tee time in advance you must stay at one of the hotels which is about $900 a night. Now I go nearly every summer with my family and rent a house and since I am a single I have never had an issue getting a tee time the day before but if you’re going as a group then you need to stay at one of the hotels. To play PB it will cost $500+ depends on Cart, caddy, etc.

the other PB courses you can book ahead of time even if you’re not staying  (spyglass and Spanish bay) and the if you’re looking for less expensive options there are several in the area. Delmonte which is the first PB owned course is an option which is an OK course, I play Poppy Hills a lot in the afternoon when the rates go down, there are dozen others within 20 minutes to play and if you have time I suggest taking a drive and playing Pasa Tiempo.

good luck.

On 2/28/2020 at 8:46 PM, ElWagonne said:

So I've set me a goal to play Pebble Beach for my 40th, in roughly 2 years.  Here's my question, how much should I be looking to stash away to enjoy this experience (ballpark number).  Also, are there any other reasonably priced tracks near there or whatever airport I'd fly into?

Great goal.  I recommend you call Pebble and ask them about tee times, staying on the property, etc ...  @DRB's statements match my understanding but get the straight scoop from the property.

Also, with COVID and the problems associated with traveling, by your 40th the landscape may have changed.

I recommend walking with a caddie unless your health is an issue or you are trying to save every dollar.  Pebble is ALWAYS cart path only.  Walking gives one a much better feeling for the course and the amazing scenery.

Stay healthy and make this plan happen! 

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/28/2020 at 5:46 PM, ElWagonne said:

Yes, don't pinch pennies.  It is a once-in-a-lifetime golfing experience.  Stay at the lodge for a view over the 18th green (how many times have we seen that on TV?), the lone tree and to get a slightly better rate playing the course.  Take a caddie.  Get a personalized bag tag.  Walk the cliffs between shots. Take some meals at the Lodge but also, there're some great restaurants in Carmel.  Take a spa/massage... right on the premises at Casa Palmero.  Sit on the veranda with a glass of wine as the sun sets.  Sip a Lagavulin in the Tap Room after your first round.  You and Arnie will have shared the same piece of California coast, just in different eras.  You will never be 40 again.  And you will have a golf memory for the rest of your life. 

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

If you want to enjoy Pebble Beach golf ( the whole Monterey area) to it's fullest, then figure on at least $1000-$1200 a day for an average. Especially if the wife is along for the adventure, and wants to go shopping. 

A golfer on a budget can get by for less money, but they will miss a few things. 

Everyone goes there to play the Pebble Beach course. That's the draw. However, any golf visit to the area needs to also include the Spyglass Hill course. I actually prefer Spyglass over PB. For me it's the tougher course of the two.

A quick google check of the area will provide information on other, much less expensive courses in the area. 

Accomodation, and food  prices get steadily higher the closer one gets to the main PB area. Those folks are pretty fond of their PB area. 

When I go there, it's by RV, with a dingy attached. I find an RV park, and have a few mile commute to the main area. 

The best way to visit PB is to research, and plan your visit before hand. A plan one's pocket book can easily handle. This will make the visit more enjoyable. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I will add that if you are playing PB you have a decision to make. Get the earliest Tee time you can so you can finish in about 4-4:30 hours but you take the chance that the fog will affect your views or get a later tee time but you will be looking at 5:00+ hrs as every hacker in America wants to say they played PB. I think you need to experience it but as mention Spyglass is a great mix of ocean views while a great challenge and a feel like you left the coast an entered  Augusta on the back side.

I think the budget of $1200 a day is tough especially when you're paying $300-$500 a day on golf. There are so many courses that you could play for less but if you are going for the first time you have to play PB, Spyglass, Spanish Bay, and if time allows Pasa Tiempo before heading to other courses. 

I had my annual trip for June canceled due to this virus so will miss this year but will be heading back. Fortunately my wife likes the area as much or more than me and doesn't care how much golf I play.

23 minutes ago, DRB said:

I will add that if you are playing PB you have a decision to make. Get the earliest Tee time you can so you can finish in about 4-4:30 hours but you take the chance that the fog will affect your views or get a later tee time but you will be looking at 5:00+ hrs as every hacker in America wants to say they played PB.

I remember the first time I played Pebble Beach with an early tee time there was a light drizzle and fog as we started.  When we reached number 7 the skies cleared and a rainbow came out over the Pacific Ocean. Magical.

I played PB links about 7 years ago.  We stayed at a hotel so we were able to book a tee time.  

To be honest, I liked Spy Grass and Cypress Point more than PB Links.  PB Links took 5-1/2 hours as everyone was "taking in the view and taking pictures".  Having played PB Links, I would not play again - unless I am one of the first groups off.

In two years, I would predict one night at the hotel would cost $1K or more and the round of golf at PB Links to be in the $600 range.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

34 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I played PB links about 7 years ago.  We stayed at a hotel so we were able to book a tee time.  

To be honest, I liked Spy Grass and Cypress Point more than PB Links.  PB Links took 5-1/2 hours as everyone was "taking in the view and taking pictures".  Having played PB Links, I would not play again - unless I am one of the first groups off.

In two years, I would predict one night at the hotel would cost $1K or more and the round of golf at PB Links to be in the $600 range.

How did you wrangle an invitation to Cypress Point?!  That's like getting on Augusta National...

10 hours ago, Yukari said:

Saying cypress point was nicer is like describing the Duomo and saying but the Vatican is nicer. How about some insight on your connection to get on Cypress Point.

14 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

How did you wrangle an invitation to Cypress Point?!  That's like getting on Augusta National...

Actually it maybe easier to get on Cypress than Augusta.

Although I have never done it, I have heard that some members might "accept a gratuity" to offer an invitation to a non member to play there.  If actually true, I'm pretty sure a person could never do this at Augusta. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Not true, members of Cypress don't need gratuity. Cypress is considered the hardest course to get on. I have been trying for a few years whenever I go to Pebble.

4 minutes ago, Patch said:

Although I have never done it, I have heard that some members might "accept a gratuity" to offer an invitation to a non member to play there.  If actually true, I'm pretty sure a person could never do this at Augusta. 

Also, one of the later holes is next to 17-Mile drive. You could sneak on the course from there. But I don't think you could play all 18 holes.

10 hours ago, DRB said:

Saying cypress point was nicer is like describing the Duomo and saying but the Vatican is nicer. How about some insight on your connection to get on Cypress Point.

6 hours ago, Patch said:

20 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

My uncle has a company that does contract work for Hyundai.  He got the top Hyundai executives to arrange the tee time and entertained them at PB.  I got the free invite to play with the top honchos and my uncle.

I also got to play Shadow Creek with them as well.  Those guys love being entertained at top golf courses.  I just got the free-ride-along.

Edited by Yukari

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• iacas changed the title to How Much to Stash for Pebble?
  • 2 years later...

Thought I'd update this thread with some info, given I've just booked Pebble for November: With the current policies/prices, reserving a tee time more than 24 hours in advance will cost you around $3300, plus the cost of the round ($595 at this time).

This comes from the current policy being a 3 night stay requirement for advance tee times, and the lowest rate for any of the 3 properties being around $1000/night, + 10% taxes.

(It's possible there are deals to be found, potentially if an NCGA member, but I'm not aware of any at this time.)

[Admins: I know this is an old thread but a search for threads about playing Pebble did not pop up anything newer.  Also, since now is around the time the OP was shooting to make their trip, this may be timely. But feel free to move to a more appropriate thread.]

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

Note: This thread is 740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!