IGNORED

A Stroke Play Quick Reference

Asheville
Note: This thread is 1508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A Stroke Play Quick Reference

Let’s assume that if you played 18 holes of stroke play properly and had no occasion to take relief or pick up your golf ball except to take it out of the hole, you wouldn’t have much of a need for many of the Rules. I imagine that this happens from time-to-time. 

However, suppose your round didn’t go quite so smoothly? You might need some Rules to keep going. What if you had a single sheet of paper, printed on both sides, folded neatly and stowed away in your scorecard holder or a pocket in your golf bag? That Stroke Play Quick Reference would not cover everything, of course, but it might help.

It could look like twenty-six topics arranged in nine sections. 

RULES ISSUES DURING COMPETITION
THINGS THAT MAY BE MOVED
WRONG BALL or WRONG PLACE
PLAYER’S BALL MOVED
PLAYER’S BALL HIT SOMETHING
RELIEF CONCEPTS
“ABC’ RELIEF
ONE CLUB-LENGTH FREE RELIEF
REPLAY ONLY RELIEF

I assure you that this won’t be nearly enough for some of us and will be way too much for others, but here goes anyway. I’ll dribble out the nine sections over the next week or so, if that’s okay. Here’s the first of the nine sections:

--------------------------

RULES ISSUES DURING COMPETITION

1) HOW TO PLAY A SECOND BALL In stroke play, players are encouraged to help each other in applying the Rules, but unlike in match play, they may not decide a Rules issue by agreement.

So, if a player is unsure of a Rule, before making another stroke, they should: 1) announce their intention to play a second ball and which ball they wish to score with, then 2) hole out both balls, and 3) inform the Committee. (R20.1c)  

2) WITNESS A RULES BREACH? In stroke play, if a player suspects that another player has broken a Rule and may not know it or is ignoring a Rule, they have an obligation to the other players in the competition to promptly tell that player or inform the Committee. (R20.1c)  

---------------------------

ps We’ll deal with match play later.

• Like 1
"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

(edited)

THINGS IN YOUR WAY THAT MAY BE MOVED

3) LOOSE IMPEDIMENTS A player may carefully move a loose or unattached natural object (e.g., a stone or a pine cone) anywhere on or off the course. (Definition of Loose Impediment)

If when moving a loose impediment the ball is moved, the ball must be replaced. One-stroke penalty. (Except in the teeing area, during a search, or on the putting green the ball still must be replaced but there is no penalty.) (R15.1)  

4) MOVABLE OBSTRUCTIONS A player may move an easily-moved artificial object (e.g., a bunker rake or a penalty area stake) anywhere on or off the course. (Definition of Movable Obstruction)  

If when moving an obstruction the ball is moved, the ball must be replaced. No penalty. (R15.2)  

5) ANOTHER BALL A player can have another player's ball moved if it reasonably interferes with their lie, stance, swing, or line of play anywhere on the course.  (R15.3) 

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=15

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=definitions&subrulenum=34

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=definitions&subrulenum=40

Edited by Asheville
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Or better yet, why not simply download the USGA Rules app to their phone...?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

WRONG BALL or WRONG PLACE How does this happen? And, are we always thinking clearly?

Wrong ball nightmare: your ProV1 trickles into the left rough. You walk up to a ProV1 in the left rough and smack it on to the green. When you get to the green you see that it’s a ProV1 alright, but there’s a red Sharpie mark on it which you know wasn’t on your ProV1. Now what? You’re mad and in a hurry and and and . . . ?

Wrong place . . . why me? The annoying guy in your group wants your ball-marker moved. You comply and stand aside while “annoying guy” fiddles around three putting and carelessly standing on your line. The group behind in the fairway are all leaning on their clubs waiting on your group. “Let’s go,” you say to yourself as you put your ball down, pick up the marker and tap in. Walking to the next tee, “annoying guy” says, “You did replace your ball-marker on the correct spot, didn’t you?”

------------------------------------------

6) WRONG BALL Two examples of a "wrong ball" are another player's ball or a stray ball. (Definition of Wrong Ball)  

If a player plays a "wrong ball" they must correct their mistake by going back and finding the "right ball" and then continuing play of the hole with it. Two-stroke penalty. (R6.3c) 

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=definitions&subrulenum=72
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=6&subrulenum=3

7) WRONG PLACE Two examples of playing from a "wrong place" are playing a ball after replacing on the wrong spot or without replacing it when required to do so. (Definition of Wrong Place)  

Usually, if a player has played from a wrong place they must continue playing the hole with that ball. Two-stroke penalty. (R14.7b)  

However, if they have played from a wrong place and "could have gained a significant advantage," they must correct their mistake by continuing play of the hole with a ball from the "right place". Two-stroke penalty. (Definition of Serious Breach & R14.7b)  

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=definitions&subrulenum=72
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=14&subrulenum=7https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=definitions&subrulenum=60

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

(edited)

As a referee, a couple of times each season I get asked about a player’s ball having moved or having hit someone or something. Step one is to find out the facts. (Often easy; sometimes nearly impossible.)

---------------------------------------

PLAYER'S BALL MOVED

😎BALL MOVED BY PLAYER Except during a search or on the putting green, if a player causes their ball to move or picks up their ball when not allowed to do so by the Rules, the ball must be replaced. One-stroke penalty. (Definition of Moved & R9.4)  

9) BALL MOVED DURING SEARCH If the player or anyone else accidentally moves the player's ball while looking for it, the ball must be replaced. No penalty. (R7.4)  

10) BALL MOVED BY PLAYER ON PUTTING GREEN If a player accidentally moves their ball or ball-marker on the putting green, the ball or ball-marker must be replaced. No penalty. (R13.1d)  

11) BALL MOVED ON ITS OWN If a player's ball is moved by natural forces such as wind, water, or gravity, the ball must be played from its new location. No penalty. (Definition of Natural Forces & R9.3)  

! Exception: On the putting green, if a player's ball moves on its own after having been marked, lifted and replaced, they may not play the ball from the new location and the ball must be replaced. No penalty. (R9.3, Exception)  

12) BALL MOVED BY OUTSIDE INFLUENCE If it is known or "it is at least 95% likely" that a player's ball has been moved by someone or something else, the ball must be replaced. No penalty. (Definitions of Outside Influence, Known or Virtually Certain & R9.6)  

13) BALL MOVED BY ANOTHER BALL If a player's ball is accidentally moved by another ball or if a player's ball accidentally hits another ball, the "moved" ball must be replaced. The ball which did the "hitting" is played as it lies. No penalty. (R9.6, R11.1)  

! Exception: If a player's ball played from the putting green hits another ball at rest on the putting green, the moved ball must be replaced. The player's ball must be played as it lies. Two-stroke penalty to the player. (R9.6, R11.1b & R11.1a, Exception) 

---------------

It's noteworthy that in every case except one, there is no penalty.

Edited by Asheville
;sgdkv

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

(edited)

PLAYER'S BALL HIT SOMETHING

14) DOUBLE HIT If a player accidentally hits their ball more than once with a stroke, they must play the ball as it lies. No penalty. (R10.1a)  

15) PLAYER'S BALL HIT PLAYER or THEIR EQUIPMENT If a player's ball accidentally hits them or their equipment the ball must be played as it lies. No penalty. (R11.1)  

16) PLAYER'S BALL HIT SOMEONE or SOMETHING ELSE If a player's ball accidentally hits another player, their equipment, or anyone or anything else the ball must be played as it lies. No penalty. (R11.1)  

! Exception: If a player's ball played from the putting green hits another ball at rest on the putting green, the moved ball must be replaced. The player's ball must be played as it lies. Two-stroke penalty to the player. (R9.6, R11.1b & R11.1a, Exception) 

! Exception: If a player's ball played from the putting green accidentally hits any person, animal, or movable obstruction other than a ball-marker, the flagstick, or person attending the flagstick, the player must replay the stroke. No penalty. (Definition of Animal & R11.1b, Exception 2)

Edited by Asheville

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Thank you for doing this @Asheville I appreciate it. 

As far as downloading the rules on my phone thru an App.  Not gonna happen.  I turn my phone off when I play golf as often as I can.  How else can I ever get a break from work.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Side two of our “single sheet of paper, printed on both sides, folded neatly and stowed away in your scorecard holder or a pocket in your golf bag” Stroke Play Quick Reference is all about taking relief.

------------------------------------------------

RELIEF CONCEPTS

17) RELIEF AREA A semicircle or portion thereof with a radius of either one or two club-lengths where the player must drop when taking relief. (Definition of Relief Area)  

18) DROP The player must drop the ball from knee height and it must be dropped into and come to rest in the relief area. They may drop the original ball or may substitute a ball. (Definition of Drop & R14.3)  

19) REPLAY RELIEF (remember this option as A for "again") At anytime and from anywhere, at the cost of a one-stroke penalty, a player may replay their shot by playing a ball from where the previous stroke was made. (Definition of Stroke and Distance, R14.6 & R17.1d1)  

20) BACK-ON-THE-LINE RELIEF (remember this option as B for "back") This relief area is determined by going back on an extension of the line from the flagstick through either: 
1) the crossing point at the edge of a penalty area, or 
2) from the ball in an unplayable lie.

The player may go back on that line as far as they wish. They should mark a reference point on the line and drop within one club-length, but not nearer the hole. (R17.1d2)  

21) LATERAL RELIEF (remember this option as C for "club-lengths") A relief area not nearer the hole, of two club-lengths radius from either:
1) the crossing point at the edge of a penalty area, or
2) from the ball in an unplayable lie. (R17.1d3)  

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

One morning during a PGA/USGA Rules Workshop the instructor (David Staebler, the USGA’s Director of Rules Education) just casually mentioned that there were a couple of places where relief was as “easy as ABC” and that stuck with me.

Relief for a ball in a penalty area or an unplayable ball is “as easy as ABC.” 

The A is for “again” which is what replay relief is . . . play it again.
        The B is for “back” from back-on-the-line relief.
            The C is for “club-lengths” from the procedure for lateral relief.

--------------------------

"AS EASY AS ABC RELIEF"

22) BALL in PENALTY AREA A penalty area is any body of water or any other part of the course the Committee marks as a penalty area. Penalty areas may be marked as yellow penalty areas or red penalty areas. (Definition of Penalty Area)  

If a player's ball lies in a yellow penalty area, or they know or "it is at least 95% likely" that their ball is lost in a yellow penalty area, for a one-stroke penalty, they may take relief outside that yellow penalty area in only two ways: 
A) replay, or B) back-on-the-line. (Definition of Known or Virtually Certain, R17.1c & R17.1d)  

If a player's ball lies in a red penalty area, or they know or "it is at least 95% likely" that their ball is lost in a red penalty area, for a one-stroke penalty, they may take relief outside that red penalty area in three ways:
A) replay, B) back-on-the-line, or C) lateral. (Definition of Known or Virtually Certain, R17.1c & R17.1d)  

23) BALL is UNPLAYABLE Except in a penalty area, if a player decides their ball is unplayable, for a one-stroke penalty, they may take relief in three ways: 
A) replay, B) back-on-the-line, or C) lateral. (R19.1 & R19.2)
(To use B or C, the original ball must have been found.)

Ball unplayable in a bunker? 
If the player chooses B or C with the one-stroke penalty, they must drop in the bunker.  Or, for a two-stroke penalty, they may take relief outside the bunker by dropping back-on-the-line. (R19.3)  

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=pe&section=rule&rulenum=17

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=pe&section=rule&rulenum=19

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

This section is one in which the Definitions are so important. For example: Animal Hole. We all know it's just a hole. Right? Well, if you were to stop there, you'd miss out on some free relief.

Look it up! The Definition of Animal Hole includes some other stuff. https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=definitions&subrulenum=4

----------------------------------

ONE CLUB-LENGTH FREE RELIEF

24) ABNORMAL COURSE CONDITIONS Except in a penalty area, free relief for interference for lie, stance, or swing is allowed from temporary water, ground under repair, animal holes, or immovable obstructions, but not from boundary objects (e.g., streets, walls, fences, or white stakes). (Definitions of Temporary Water, Ground Under Repair, Animal Hole, Immovable Obstruction, & Boundary Object)

When taking free relief, the player must drop a ball within one club-length of the nearest point of complete relief and no nearer the hole. After taking relief, their lie, stance, and swing must be completely clear of the abnormal course condition. (Definition of Nearest Point of Complete Relief & R16.1)

"Temporary water" is a temporary accumulation of water not in a penalty area. It is not enough for the ground to be merely wet, muddy or soft or for the water to be momentarily visible as the player steps on the ground; an accumulation of water must remain present either before or after their stance is taken. (Definition of Temporary Water)

Ball lost in an abnormal course condition? If a player knows or "it is at least 95% likely" that their ball is lost in an abnormal course condition (e.g., temporary water or ground under repair) they may take free relief.

Using the estimated point where the ball last crossed the edge of the abnormal course condition as the reference point for finding the nearest point of complete relief, they must drop a ball into a one club-length relief area and no nearer the hole. (Definition of Known or Virtually Certain & R16.1e)

Abnormal course condition in a bunker? To take free relief from an abnormal course condition in a bunker, the player must drop a ball in the bunker and not nearer the hole. Or, for a one-stroke penalty, they may take relief outside the bunker by dropping a ball back-on-the-line. (R16.1c)

Abnormal course condition on the putting green? On the putting green, to take free relief (including on the line of play) from an abnormal course condition, the player must place a ball on the spot of the nearest point of complete relief and no nearer the hole. (R16.1d)

25) BALL is EMBEDDED Except in a penalty area or a bunker, free relief is allowed for a player's ball embedded in its own pitch-mark. The player must drop a ball in the one club-length radius relief area right behind the spot where the ball was embedded. (Definition of Embedded & R16.3)

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Final section.

REPLAY ONLY RELIEF

26) BALL LOST or OUT OF BOUNDS If a player's ball is out of bounds, or not found within three minutes of their starting a search, they must go back and play a ball from where their previous stroke was made. One-stroke penalty. (Definitions of Lost, Out of Bounds, Stroke and Distance, R14.6 & R18.2)  
----------------
It might be worth a look at Rule 14.6, Making Next Stroke from Where Previous Stroke Made - This Rule applies whenever you are required or allowed to make your next stroke from where a previous stroke was made.

a. Previous Stroke Made from Teeing Area - Your original ball or another ball must be played from anywhere inside the teeing area (and may be teed).

b. Previous Stroke Made from General Area, Penalty Area or Bunker - Your original ball or another ball must be dropped in this relief area:

Reference Point: The spot where your previous stroke was made (which if not known must be estimated).

Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: One club-length.

Limits on Location of Relief Area:

Must be in the same area of the course as your reference point, and

Must not be nearer the hole than your reference point.

c. Previous Stroke Made from Putting Green - Your original ball or another ball must be placed on the spot where your previous stroke was made (which if not known must be estimated).

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Attached is a pdf of the Stroke Play Quick Reference (one sheet of paper printed on two sides)

2020 3.3 SandTrap SP QR.pdf

• Like 1

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Thanks to some excellent feedback, I've made a couple of minor adjustments to the attached pdf. So, download, print on both sides of a single sheet of paper, fold into quarters and stow in your golf bag.

2020 3.3 SandTrap SP QR.pdf

• Like 1

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Note: This thread is 1508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!