IGNORED

Handicap Entry Question

Rulesman

Note: This thread is 887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

29 minutes ago, Rulesman said:

When US players return their scores do they have to enter their handicap in addition to the gross or hole by hole score?

When we sign on, the system already "knows" our handicap, we do not have to enter it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Handicap Entry Question
6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

When we sign on, the system already "knows" our handicap, we do not have to enter it.

Do players write their handicap on their card, as required by the RoG?

As I read the rules, the handicap is required to be on the card in handicapped stroke play competitions, and that rule is followed, in my experience.  There isn't a similar requirement for gross stroke play competitions, only that the scorecard be returned (with the correct hole scores, of course).

For casual play, we don't typically submit cards, so the requirement to show the handicap on a scorecard in a stroke play competition seems immaterial.  When we're playing some type of informal stroke play competition, we'd typically write the handicap on that card, but if we're simply playing without competing, it might not be shown.  With only a  brief review, I didn't see any requirement to keep a scorecard of any kind in match play, although keeping a card is certainly a good way of keeping track of the status of the match, of where strokes will fall, etc.  

I just realized an interesting disconnect between the new handicap rules and the Rules of Golf.  The new distinction between Course Handicap and Playing Handicap isn't reflected in the playing rules.  It seems appropriate that the scorecard show the Playing Handicap, which could be noticeably different from the Course Handicap.  I'm sure the next issue of the Rules of Golf will make that clear.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

3 hours ago, Rulesman said:

Do players write their handicap on their card, as required by the RoG?

Scorecard need not be a piece of cardboard with little squares on it.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=definitions&subrulenum=59

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

• Administrator

HJGT uses smart phones as scorecards.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Asheville said:

Scorecard need not be a piece of cardboard with little squares on it.

Our Metropolitan Amateur's Association and District Golfers Association distributes "Official Cards" during competition and also utilizes Electronic Scoring Applications.

The Card is official and must be signed by players and competitors for each round.

Electronic Scoring is used for ease for the Committee to enter scores into their Application and scorecards are checked during by them.
Handicaps are displayed on Scorecards and the Electronic Scoring Leaderboards.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

Our Metropolitan Amateur's Association and District Golfers Association distributes "Official Cards" during competition and also utilizes Electronic Scoring Applications.

The Card is official and must be signed by players and competitors for each round.

Electronic Scoring is used for ease for the Committee to enter scores into their Application and scorecards are checked during by them.
Handicaps are displayed on Scorecards and the Electronic Scoring Leaderboards.

Not sure what the point of this was.

Scorecards need not be paper or even physical "cards." Like I said, the HJGT has players keep score and sign a smart phone. No physical card at all.

Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In thinking about it a bit deeper, this thread illustrates some of the differences in handicap culture between the US and England.  As I understand it, CONGU has used primarily competition stroke play scores for handicaps.  Scorecards must be submitted for competitions, and for net competitions, the scorecard must show the correct handicap, per the RoG.

In the USGA, we've used non-competition scores for handicaps.  Without a competition, there's no specific requirement to return a card.  We've counted match play scores for handicap.  There's no requirement to return a card for match play, even in formal competitions.  We include fourball stroke play scores.  Each player's handicap must be shown on the card in a handicap competition, but there is no requirement under the RoG to write a score for each player on every hole, as long as at least one player's score is recorded for the team. As I read @Rulesman's questions, he's trying to understand whether we in the USGA areas follow similar procedures to those he is accustomed to seeing under CONGU, and the answer is no.  The reason we don't follow the same procedures is that we include different (additional) types of scores for handicap calculation.

Dave

14 hours ago, iacas said:

HJGT uses smart phones as scorecards.

Do they provide the facility to register entry into a competition or pre-register a casual score via the app?

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Rulesman said:

Do they provide the facility to register entry into a competition or pre-register a casual score via the app?

Why would they? It’s for the tournament scoring.

HJGT is the Hurricane Junior Golf Tour, @Rulesman. They use smart phones for a live leaderboard AND the official scorecard.

5 hours ago, Rulesman said:

In the US we are not required to pre-register casual rounds.  Instead, we are required to post ALL casual rounds, subject to a couple of other requirements.

Dave

12 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

In the US we are not required to pre-register casual rounds.  Instead, we are required to post ALL casual rounds, subject to a couple of other requirements.

Of course. I keep forgetting that.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!