Nick_wahl_

Biggest Swing Keys in Your Opinion?

25 posts / 852 viewsLast Reply

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Sorry, I responded quickly and didn’t fully articulate what I meant.

Going from a flat turn and laid off to a flat turn with a different arm angle to get the club on plane doesn’t look better, it just looks different. It doesn’t address the underlying issue, as you pointed out.

“Looking better,” IMO, would be the club getting on plane because the shoulder tilt was correct. It’s not just about getting the club on plane. Function matters.

Exactly my point my friend. But the untrained eye will look at the club on plane and say “ok good” even if the shoulder plane is super flat. 

10 minutes ago, Nick_wahl_ said:

Exactly my point my friend. But the untrained eye will look at the club on plane and say “ok good” even if the shoulder plane is super flat. 

What the untrained eye sees in a person’s golf swing is irrelevant, though. They’re not qualified to assess a golf swing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

34 minutes ago, billchao said:

What the untrained eye sees in a person’s golf swing is irrelevant, though. They’re not qualified to assess a golf swing.

Yeah, I'm more on this side of the spectrum. The untrained eye might see a club off-plane and say "ok good," too. They're untrained.

So I don't agree much at all with the "looks better but isn't actually better" line of thought you've been carrying throughout the topics here.

For me...

Backswing - steady head, full turn

Downswing - steady head, shift weight forward, point butt of club at the ball

(impact - bottom of swing past the ball)

Follow through - extend through the ball with straight arms, full follow through turn.

2 hours ago, billchao said:

It's pretty easy to see some of the 5 simple keys, like steady head, and weight forward (especially when it's obvious like when almost all of someones weight is on their back foot through the downswing through follow through).  

34 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

It's pretty easy to see some of the 5 simple keys, like steady head, and weight forward (especially when it's obvious like when almost all of someones weight is on their back foot through the downswing through follow through).

I don’t consider anyone with a solid understanding of the 5 Simple Keys as “untrained.” It doesn’t make you qualified to be a golf instructor, but you’re definitely more informed than your golf buddy that says you topped your last shot because you picked your head up.

For me its always been at the start of the swing, low and slow on my take away and a mostly straight left arm. If I get that right, the rest of the swing seems to flow well, except for the sometimes amateur hick-ups.  

Imo, the impact position into the back of the ball is of major importantance. 

I say this because I have seen great looking swing with a bad impact position/bad ball flights, and ugly swings with great impacy positions/good ball flights. 

Granted, the better the swing, the easier a good impact position can be obtained. Unfortunately, that's not always the case.