IGNORED

My Swing (imgoinhungry)

imgoinhungry
Note: This thread is 1429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ive been Playing Golf for: 1.5 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 100+
My typical ball flight is: slight draw
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: weak hooks

Hi All,

I havent been playing long.  I really struggle with consistency with my driver.  When I connect, I carry it about 240 with a slight draw.  Ive been struggling lately with getting the ball elevated.  Oddly, at times the ball hits the ground right in front of tee and bounces 10 yarde in front of me.

Any tips or recs to help me improve would be greatly appreciated.

Note:  Im hitting foam balls.

Videos: 

Side view:

Behind view:

It would be really helpful if you could post your swings in slow motion. The only thing I can tell for certain is your ball position is a little too far back and based on what you're describing, you're probably swinging too far down on it and delivering very little to negative loft at times.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

In addition to what Bill said… time to add an avatar, please!

Good videos:

• Show you hitting a ball (check)
  • Are from good angles (pretty good)
  • Are in slow motion.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just got out and hit a few more.  My instructor told me to envision hitting the ball to right field, but at times with the driver I feel that my swing path is too in-to-out.  Does that appear to be the case in the video?

Thanks for tip of moving ball forward.  That helped a lot.

10 minutes ago, imgoinhungry said:

My instructor told me to envision hitting the ball to right field, but at times with the driver I feel that my swing path is too in-to-out.  

I'm not trying to be rude here, but if you are working with an instructor, why are you asking people on the internet for additional swing advice?

A good instructor should have given you 1-2 main pieces to work on in your last lesson. Focus on those and work on those until they become second nature, then go back and take another lesson. Rinse and repeat. 

I have an instructor I see as well, I do have a swing thread on this site but I typically use it as a log of certain feels I like, a lesson recap that I can read back and refer to later, etc. but since I started working with an instructor I have limited the number of swing videos I post in my swing thread mainly so my swing advice is only coming from one person/source.

Edited by klineka
Clarity
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

My local guy just left my club.  Also havent had a lesson in forever due to Covid.

Just had a great range session with driver.  I've struggled elevating the ball and someone commented that I was delofting the club.

Today, I lowered my hands at setup. which I guess added loft.  Was ripping them consistently.

Does that make sense?  

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, imgoinhungry said:

Irons are awful at moment.  Cant elevate them.  Ive been hitting low. short shots that slice right.  Please help!!

Side:

Behind:

What are you hitting there? You’re standing pretty close to the ball.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, imgoinhungry said:

7 iron

Your arms should hang straight down more, or even slightly out away from you. They kind of hang in towards your body, so you kind of have no room when you swing and it pulls your arms out away from you a bit, causing you to hit the ball right on the hosel.

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

Your arms should hang straight down more, or even slightly out away from you. They kind of hang in towards your body, so you kind of have no room when you swing and it pulls your arms out away from you a bit, causing you to hit the ball right on the hosel.

Thanks for feedback.  Ill set up further from ball and fix the arms.  Appreciate it!

From what I see, you need to be working on Key #1 first (Key #1 is "steady head" but you could do with lumping in the entire backswing portion of your pivot here). There is some horizontal sway away from the target including too much head movement.  Then I'd graduate on to Key #2 (weight forward at impact). You are also seem to be quite flippy with your hands. Get to the frame immediately after impact in the face on view and you'll see just how incredibly closed the club head is that soon after impact. The twisting motion of the club head that is happening to produce that look is, in my opinion, likely causing plenty of impact trouble.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm making an assumption here by assuming that your instructor has never specifically talked to you about the drastic amount of head movement in your backswing? I'm not at all a golf instructor or even close to being one (heck, I've never even had a lesson) but if I had an instructor that wasn't able to diagnose this glaring problem within 30 seconds I'd fire him.

Edited by Grizvok

3 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

I'm making an assumption here by assuming that your instructor has never specifically talked to you about the drastic amount of head movement in your backswing? I'm not at all a golf instructor or even close to being one (heck, I've never even had a lesson) but if I had an instructor that wasn't able to diagnose this glaring problem within 30 seconds I'd fire him.

He hasnt.  Has mentioned "stay in the box" a few times.  I have also just started hitting irons this poorly in the last 2 weeks.  Maybe that is the culprit?  Thanks for the feeback!

1 minute ago, imgoinhungry said:

He hasnt.  Has mentioned "stay in the box" a few times.  I have also just started hitting irons this poorly in the last 2 weeks.  Maybe that is the culprit?  Thanks for the feeback!

I doubt it. The driver swing you initially posted was just as bad in terms of head movement and sway.

Edited by Grizvok

8 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

I doubt it. The driver swing you initially posted was just as bad in terms of head movement and sway.

Any drills to limit the sway?  Or is it just a matter of filming it and constantly checking it?  Thanks again for the feesback.  Ive only been playing for about a year and a half.

Note: This thread is 1429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!