IGNORED

Fat Iron Shots From Tee

Note: This thread is 1447 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have run into an interesting issue as of late. My iron striking has improved loads, and I have changed my typical miss from a fairly fat shot into a manageable thin shot (usually a bottom groover with an occasional true bladed one). I am quite pleased with this, but there is a new anomaly that has popped up. On certain par threes, I have been fatting my tee shot. There are 3 holes in particular that this has happened on every time I have played them since my normal miss has changed. I have played each of these holes 4 times, with 4 fat shots on each.

My last round I managed to par two of them (third was a water ball) taking a total of 2 putts between the three holes thanks to a chip-in after barely making it out of a bunker short. All of these holes are under 150 yards and call for 7-9 irons depending on wind.

Here's the question: Is there a reason for a fat iron shot to become a thing only on a tee box? My game inside of 150 yards has been great lately, and these holes are under/around that. Is it something to do with the tee? Mental only? Has anyone else experienced fat iron shots from the tee on short par threes like this when a fat shot isn't normally a part of their game.

I wonder if the tee itself is doing me in. I don't tee it up, but put a tee down almost all the way into the ground so the ball sits somewhat in the grass. On that same course there is a layup on 10 for me with a 4 iron off the tee, and I have been flushing it every round, as well as playing the longer par 3 just fine (it's a 5 iron for me, 170 uphill). Any help or stories are appreciated.

Edited by Bonvivant
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

32 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I have run into an interesting issue as of late. My iron striking has improved loads, and I have changed my typical miss from a fairly fat shot into a manageable thin shot (usually a bottom groover with an occasional true bladed one). I am quite pleased with this, but there is a new anomaly that has popped up. On certain par threes, I have been fatting my tee shot. There are 3 holes in particular that this has happened on every time I have played them since my normal miss has changed. I have played each of these holes 4 times, with 4 fat shots on each.

My last round I managed to par two of them (third was a water ball) taking a total of 2 putts between the three holes thanks to a chip-in after barely making it out of a bunker short. All of these holes are under 150 yards and call for 7-9 irons depending on wind.

Here's the question: Is there a reason for a fat iron shot to become a thing only on a tee box? My game inside of 150 yards has been great lately, and these holes are under/around that. Is it something to do with the tee? Mental only? Has anyone else experienced fat iron shots from the tee on short par threes like this when a fat shot isn't normally a part of their game.

I wonder if the tee itself is doing me in. I don't tee it up, but put a tee down almost all the way into the ground so the ball sits somewhat in the grass. On that same course there is a layup on 10 for me with a 4 iron off the tee, and I have been flushing it every round, as well as playing the longer par 3 just fine (it's a 5 iron for me, 170 uphill). Any help or stories are appreciated.

I would start with checking/experimenting with your ball position at set up. You may be so focused on your alignment ( being a par 3) and may be setting the ball too forward. If you have the time and if you fat one...immediately re-tee and try moving the ball a bit back and re-hit. Just a thought as I’ve had this happen.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Just now, Vinsk said:

I would start with checking/experimenting with your ball position at set up. You may be so focused on your alignment ( being a par 3) and may be setting the ball too forward. If you have the time and if you fat one...immediately re-tee and try moving the ball a bit back and re-hit. Just a thought as I’ve had this happen.

Thanks for the response. I play most of my rounds as close to competition standards as I know how, so re-hitting has never really crossed my mind. Since all 3 of these holes are on the same course, and it's one of the few that is open and cheap near me, it will definitely see some more reps. This is a good idea, and if the first two go the same way the next time, I will re-hit on the middle hole. I would push it off to the last one if it wasn't a water hole. I would say though, that my ball position normally is probably farther back than is recommended especially on my short iron shots. Definitely will keep an eye on this for sure though.

This has also happened on one other water hole on a different course as well. It has been pretty frustrating hitting lots of greens from the fairway and rough, or at least being nGiR with a strong chipping game as of late, but then completely blowing it on par 3s. I have been saving par on these a decent amount of the time because the short game has been good, but it's nerve-wracking.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

(edited)
Just now, CarlSpackler said:

Is this Sugar Isle?

Jamaica. 4-7-13

Edited by Bonvivant

12 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

I have noticed that on the tee box I can fall in the habit of swinging like a driver when I hit up slightly on the ball. My weight seems a little more on my right side and my secondary spine is tilting a little back towards my right side. Now if I pull out a 3W or a hybrid off the tee and am not focused, I might be hitting it more like a driver and catch it fat or thin. So for me I need to think consciously that I do NOT have a driver in my hand and even though the ball is sitting on a tee, I am going to strike a descending blow. That helps me avoid the problem.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2020 at 10:42 AM, Carl3 said:

I have noticed that on the tee box I can fall in the habit of swinging like a driver when I hit up slightly on the ball. My weight seems a little more on my right side and my secondary spine is tilting a little back towards my right side. Now if I pull out a 3W or a hybrid off the tee and am not focused, I might be hitting it more like a driver and catch it fat or thin. So for me I need to think consciously that I do NOT have a driver in my hand and even though the ball is sitting on a tee, I am going to strike a descending blow. That helps me avoid the problem.

Chances are OP that it's a combination of this and mental. Par 3's are sometimes a situation where players feel extra pressure to "strike" the ball hard to the target. This causes a change in their levels and timing. The fact that you have a good track on your performance on these shots probably plays a part in it.

We all have quirky areas we of our games we have to work through. Take one extra club and focus on center contact only. 

You can try the ol Harvey Penick clip the tee drill, or a couple of Johnny Millers "brush brush" drill where he brushes the grass just after where the ball would be while doing a practice swing. Good luck!

Note: This thread is 1447 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!