IGNORED

Warming Up Before Going to the Course?

billchao
Note: This thread is 1439 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since this is a weird time in golf due to COVID-19, I've come up with some issues I have never had to deal with. Normally I play golf early in the morning and there isn't much time for a warm-up before a round. When I play later in the day, I'll usually do a brief routine before playing and hit maybe 20 balls if they have a driving range on property. However, being that driving ranges and other practice facilities are closed right now, the option to warm up on the course does not exist. It made me wonder if there's any benefit to getting loose at home by hitting some balls into my net before going to the course. It would be about 45 minutes to an hour from the time I was done until the time I tee off.

Is that too long to be worth doing? I'm basically just trying to get loose and get a feel for the swing for the day. Something has to be better than nothing, right? Alternatively, I can save myself the hassle of setting up my practice area and breaking it down and spend the extra time sitting in my kitchen drinking coffee. I might try it this weekend and see how it goes.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ve been doing something similar to you. About twenty minutes before we head to the course, I’ll take a wedge, some balls and hit 15-20 pitch shots to a practice green in my yard. Or I’ll just get to the course ahead of time and hit some chips/putts on the practice green there. I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t need to do much to get loose.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I think anything you can do to get loose, be it stretching or hitting into a net, is beneficial as long as it's within 30-45 minutes of teeing off.

45 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

I’ve been doing something similar to you. About twenty minutes before we head to the course, I’ll take a wedge, some balls and hit 15-20 pitch shots to a practice green in my yard. Or I’ll just get to the course ahead of time and hit some chips/putts on the practice green there. I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t need to do much to get loose.

Well to be fair, I'm currently doing nothing to warm up before a round. Driving ranges and practice areas are all closed.

34 minutes ago, gbogey said:

I think anything you can do to get loose, be it stretching or hitting into a net, is beneficial as long as it's within 30-45 minutes of teeing off.

45 minutes for me would be the bare minimum. It takes about 30 minutes to drive to most of the courses I usually play. Tomorrow will be a 45 minute drive. Add that to the time it will take to break down my practice setup and getting to the course 15 minutes before my tee time to get situated, I'm looking at an hour and change. I think my muscles will have cooled down by that time, rendering any warm-up routine I do at home pointless.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I think my muscles will have cooled down by that time, rendering any warm-up routine I do at home pointless.

So, it depends on whether this is first thing in the morning or middle/end of the day.  First thing in the morning, you need to invest the time because your muscles are completely cold from sleeping.  Later in the day, it isn't as useful.

However, if it isn't too much trouble, I would recommend doing it.  It generally gives you a fair indicator of how your game is going to be and any practice is helpful for most amateurs

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

7 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

So, it depends on whether this is first thing in the morning or middle/end of the day.  First thing in the morning, you need to invest the time because your muscles are completely cold from sleeping.  Later in the day, it isn't as useful.

However, if it isn't too much trouble, I would recommend doing it.  It generally gives you a fair indicator of how your game is going to be and any practice is helpful for most amateurs

I definitely wouldn't do it first thing in the morning. I've been starting rounds later in the day than I usually do because of the restrictions in place, so I'd certainly have the time. Was just wondering if it was worth it.

Bill

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, billchao said:

I definitely wouldn't do it first thing in the morning. I've been starting rounds later in the day than I usually do because of the restrictions in place, so I'd certainly have the time. Was just wondering if it was worth it.

If you are looking at it through the eyes of practice, the more the merrier.  In terms of warming up for your round, you are better off driving to the course and hitting a few balls there.  If that isn't an option whatsoever, swing your club and warm up at the course

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

11 hours ago, billchao said:

I’ve tried it both ways and it didn’t seem to make a difference. When I got to the course, I still did my ‘get loose’ routine. Hitting balls felt good at home, but I didn’t hit any better on the course.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

My mornings start out the same just about every day. Up at 5:30 am, a little breakfast, and then a 2 mile round trip walk with several elevation changes.

Around 8am I head to the golf course, which is about 10 minutes away.  Rather I am playing, or practicing, I am sufficiently warmed up from the previous hike. Especially during these warmer months. 

During the cooler months/mornings, I will sometimes load my bag on the trolley, and walk to the course.

Either way, by the time I get to the course, maybe with some practice swings, I'm pretty much good to go. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 1439 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!