IGNORED

My Swing (ShaftFarmer)

ShaftFarmer

• Administrator

I'll take a look at it later today.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Received my first swing analysis from Evolvr! Super pumped to be working with Erik. 

He has me working on the rotation of my hips/chest around impact with the "pump" drill. I've been working on the motions of that today and I'm hoping to get to the range this afternoon to practice. If not, I'll be in my garage hitting the foam balls 

My Lowest Score Wins book I ordered was delivered yesterday, which would have been perfect timing, but they must have put it in the wrong mailbox because I can't find it. Fun stuff 😑

• Like 1

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

• Administrator
6 hours ago, ShaftFarmer said:

Received my first swing analysis from Evolvr! Super pumped to be working with Erik. 

He has me working on the rotation of my hips/chest around impact with the "pump" drill. I've been working on the motions of that today and I'm hoping to get to the range this afternoon to practice. If not, I'll be in my garage hitting the foam balls 

Yeah, show me a video of you doing the drill. Start slow/small, particularly with the rehearsals.

6 hours ago, ShaftFarmer said:

My Lowest Score Wins book I ordered was delivered yesterday, which would have been perfect timing, but they must have put it in the wrong mailbox because I can't find it. Fun stuff 😑

We use the address in your PayPal account. It's correct, right?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Yeah, show me a video of you doing the drill. Start slow/small, particularly with the rehearsals.

We use the address in your PayPal account. It's correct, right?

Will do! And it actually came this afternoon and I've already started digging into it! Not sure why it said it was delivered yesterday haha

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

I spent some time last night and this morning working on the pump drill and really trying to feel like I was using my hips to hit the ball instead of my hands/arms. 

Definitely not making the most solid of contact here, but was really more focused on feeling the left hip moving up and around than making solid contact with the ball. I think being in the garage, which I don't normally take swings in, plays a big part in that so I'm planning on going to the range later this afternoon to work on this more (realized after this I was wearing sandals 😑)

• Thumbs Up 1

My Swing

Got a few slow motion videos of me doing the pump drill using real balls, finally. When I would try to only go back a few inches, my contact was abysmal so I definitely know I am going back too far in these. 

Started off pretty decent but once I tried to limit the "pump" (how far I take the club back) it turned into shank city. 

It still doesn't look like I'm clearing that front hip quick enough and that is still causing my right wrist to turn over slightly. What do you guys think?

My Swing

One thing is that it appears that you could be taking the club too far to the inside on your drill. 

Edited by iacas
please no PDF attachments

So, @iacas initial response to your swing thread was in regards to the non-extension (or late extension) of the left knee. I could potentially see that being an inhibitor to the hip rotation you are looking for through impact.

9 hours ago, Grizvok said:

So, @iacas initial response to your swing thread was in regards to the non-extension (or late extension) of the left knee. I could potentially see that being an inhibitor to the hip rotation you are looking for through impact.

Yep and that's exactly what we've been working on during my first week in Evolvr! It's weird, it feels like I'm extending my lead leg right away when I do the "pump" but it's pretty clear from the videos that's not the case

9 hours ago, Bill Catron said:

One thing is that it appears that you could be taking the club too far to the inside on your drill. 

Yeah I think you're right! Appreciate that!

My Swing

20 hours ago, ShaftFarmer said:

Got a few slow motion videos of me doing the pump drill using real balls, finally. When I would try to only go back a few inches, my contact was abysmal so I definitely know I am going back too far in these. 

Started off pretty decent but once I tried to limit the "pump" (how far I take the club back) it turned into shank city. 

It still doesn't look like I'm clearing that front hip quick enough and that is still causing my right wrist to turn over slightly. What do you guys think?

Rehearse it slower before hitting. Go from A5 to A8-9 and extend the hips and arms out to the position you want to be in there. I did this drill all winter. Even when hitting, do it slower to start and don’t care about the ball, just the positions. I sill do this drill as a warm up every session.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Rehearse it slower before hitting. Go from A5 to A8-9 and extend the hips and arms out to the position you want to be in there. I did this drill all winter. Even when hitting, do it slower to start and don’t care about the ball, just the positions. I sill do this drill as a warm up every session.

Going slower makes a lot of sense! I'll definitely work on this in the garage with the foam balls.

Initially, I didn't think getting this move down would be too difficult but since It's part of the downswing I feel like it takes a lot more practice to effectively train your brain to do something different 

My Swing

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, ShaftFarmer said:

Going slower makes a lot of sense! I'll definitely work on this in the garage with the foam balls.

Initially, I didn't think getting this move down would be too difficult but since It's part of the downswing I feel like it takes a lot more practice to effectively train your brain to do something different 

For people who throw the trail wrist it’s very difficult.

Trail wrist throwing happens, you don’t make it happen.

• Like 2

Quick update: Progress is being made (I think). Went to the range last night and contact while doing the pump drill was much better than the first time!

Also took a quick video this morning with the foam balls because I am finally now consistently hitting in my target. I have a bedsheet hanging about 15ft in front of me and up until yesterday I would hit the sheet MAYBE 50% of the time but now I'm at around 90%. (slowing down helped a ton! @boogielicious)

Does this look like too much extension too soon? My lead leg is finally extending more but the right knee looks to be 'caving in' too far but I'm not sure if it's just me or not

My Swing

54 minutes ago, ShaftFarmer said:

Quick update: Progress is being made (I think). Went to the range last night and contact while doing the pump drill was much better than the first time!

Also took a quick video this morning with the foam balls because I am finally now consistently hitting in my target. I have a bedsheet hanging about 15ft in front of me and up until yesterday I would hit the sheet MAYBE 50% of the time but now I'm at around 90%. (slowing down helped a ton! @boogielicious)

Does this look like too much extension too soon? My lead leg is finally extending more but the right knee looks to be 'caving in' too far but I'm not sure if it's just me or not

Looking better. Keep at it doing it daily. I go with the feel of my left hip going around and back and right hip to target. It all has to be in sequence, arms extending and hips at the same time.

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Looking better. Keep at it doing it daily. I go with the feel of my left hip going around and back and right hip to target. It all has to be in sequence, arms extending and hips at the same time.

Yeah not nearly as much "thrust" as I would like, which I think is why I occasionally hit one fat while doing this. I think I need to feel more of a stretch towards the target

My Swing

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ShaftFarmer said:

Yeah not nearly as much "thrust" as I would like, which I think is why I occasionally hit one fat while doing this. I think I need to feel more of a stretch towards the target

The hips go forward a little bit, too. Weight gets over the left ankle a bit more.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, ShaftFarmer said:

Rehearse where you want to be at A8-9 before the drill. It took me several months over the winter to get this down so I didn’t have to think about it. And keep forcing yourself to do it slowly at first.

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Time for an update. Been continuing to work a lot on with the pump drill and my lead leg extension. Noticed for the last couple days the top of my left hand, opposite the palm has been really sore. I'm sure that's due to the amount of 'holding off' I've been doing on the follow-through. Has this happened to anyone else? 

As far as the swing, when at the range I would say 8/10 of my shots are going to the right when I do this. They aren't quite shanks like they were the first couple times I worked on this at the range but definitely still hitting them off the heel. I think the reason why I have so much trouble with this drill using a real ball is I feel like I need to use my hands more to hit it and that causes me to rush my transition and pull my hands down as opposed to letting the hips take over. 

I added some rehearsals to the beginning of this video just to make sure I actually have the right idea and am getting the correct feeling and the slow-motion swing are after. (still need more hip extension around impact and not so much on the follow-through). 

My Swing