IGNORED

Cutoff For Players Who Have a Chance

dagolfer18
Note: This thread is 1364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’ll explain the title. In the final round of a major, or any tournament for that matter, what do y’all think is the maximum number of strokes a player can trail by and still say they have a chance? My dad and I were discussing this earlier.

I told him that I thought three strokes behind is the furthest you can be and still have a realistic chance. Four or five behind means you still have a chance, but you need to go low in the final round. Six is on the outside looking in, and more than that is, realistically, out of it, although I’ve heard final round comeback stories from as far back as ten strokes.

So what do y’all think about this? I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts. 

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

what do y’all think is the maximum number of strokes a player can trail by and still say they have a chance? My dad and I were discussing this earlier.

Let’s assume the top 5-ish shoot a few over par. Then I could think something like a 62-63. So probably 9-12 back I can see happening. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

I’ll explain the title. In the final round of a major, or any tournament for that matter, what do y’all think is the maximum number of strokes a player can trail by and still say they have a chance? My dad and I were discussing this earlier.

I told him that I thought three strokes behind is the furthest you can be and still have a realistic chance. Four or five behind means you still have a chance, but you need to go low in the final round. Six is on the outside looking in, and more than that is, realistically, out of it, although I’ve heard final round comeback stories from as far back as ten strokes.

So what do y’all think about this? I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts. 

00001139_3.png

Some of the most memorable PGA events have had eventual winners trailing after the 3rd round. Stacker examines some of the biggest comeback wins in golf major history over the past 50...

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Part of the ability to come back from behind will depend not just on how many strokes behind but how many players are ahead of the player.  For example, if a golfer is 5 back and in solo 2nd all they need is to shoot 4 under and the leader to drop 1 and they are in a playoff (Unless they get passed from behind).  That is very possible.

However, if they are 5 back and there are 10 ahead of them they may shoot the 4 under and the leader may drop 1 but they still need to outpace the other 9 players which makes the comeback harder.

I think that is part of why the recent PGA was so good to watch for me.  Many players within striking distance in the final round.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

If only there were decades of tournament data that could provide statistical clarity to the question. 

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 1364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!