IGNORED

My Next Hybrid

Note: This thread is 1351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm in the market for a new hybrid and am looking for suggestions.  Let me start by saying that I am a notorious cheapskate and always looking to maximize value.

So I started out looking at a generation older club to save some money and was debating between the Ping 410 ($169 new) and the Callaway Epic Flash ($199).  I had kind of settled on the Callaway figuring that the fact that it was a bit newer and adjustable where the Ping wasn't so therefore worth the extra $20,  Then I started to wonder is a new Callaway Mavrik might be worth the extra $50 over the Flash.  Unfortunately I don't know if I'll have much luck demoing the older clubs as the stores tend not to keep older demo clubs around.  Best I could probably do it tape up a new club, so I'm not sure I can tell much from hitting them.

So, can anyone provide any feedback on the clubs I'm considering, or are there better options? 

• Like 1

I have the epic flash hybrid, 18 degrees, and its a great club.  The thing to consider is that it is a very hot face.  If you hit it perfect, its just goes and goes.  The problem with that is there is quite the dispersion from shortest to longest shots.  Even on good strikes.  Great for tee shots, but maybe not so much for approaching greens.  But I loved the 18 degree so much, I got a 21 degree as well to replace my 4 iron.  Problem was, when i hit the 21 flush, it goes almost as far as the 18.  So carrying both didn't make any sense.  

I still wanted higher lofted hybrids, and I ended up getting and loving the Titleist 818 H1s.  They feel great, and have a very consistent distance on good strikes.  I have those in 21 and 25.  Depending on your tolerance of used clubs, I'd recommend giving those a shot.  $80 each at 2ndswing.  If it turns out you're interested in the Callaways, check out the Callaway preowned website as well.  They've got a very true and fair grading system for their clubs, have excellent money back guarantees, return policies, and overall customer service.  You can always buy the epic flash from there, and return it for full value within 14 days if you don't like it, or if the condition isn't suitable to you. And they accept returns up to 90 days at decreasing levels of value every 30 days.  I rebuilt my entire bag this year using this method of buying and trying used clubs from there.

I realize that sounded a little like a paid endorsement for callaway preowned, but i've honestly had nothing but good experiences with them.

Edited by bweiss711
  • Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, srguthrie said:

I've actually bought several things from Callaway preowned and am a huge fan.  But their stock and newer hybrids is nonexistent.  Last I checked there wasn't a single men's RH epic flash.

Check their eBay store.

I'll check, but I should also mention that I have a bunch of Dick's / Golf Galaxy rewards and a $20 coupon I was planning on putting to the club.  But I'm sure there are other things to be had at the retail store.

On 8/11/2020 at 2:11 PM, srguthrie said:

I'm in the market for a new hybrid and am looking for suggestions.  Let me start by saying that I am a notorious cheapskate and always looking to maximize value.

So I started out looking at a generation older club to save some money and was debating between the Ping 410 ($169 new) and the Callaway Epic Flash ($199).  I had kind of settled on the Callaway figuring that the fact that it was a bit newer and adjustable where the Ping wasn't so therefore worth the extra $20,  Then I started to wonder is a new Callaway Mavrik might be worth the extra $50 over the Flash.  Unfortunately I don't know if I'll have much luck demoing the older clubs as the stores tend not to keep older demo clubs around.  Best I could probably do it tape up a new club, so I'm not sure I can tell much from hitting them.

So, can anyone provide any feedback on the clubs I'm considering, or are there better options? 

So I have played / owned the ones you listed. All fine clubs. The Ping was my choice due to ball flight and accuracy for me vs the Callaways. The Ping was not the longest but I desired good consistent carry distance and could actually hit into greens without excessive roll out. Obviously everyone is different and many can hit others into greens fine, I just could not with the Callaways (but Ioved the total distance they yielded). But recently I hit a Cobra hybrid and now I am thinking about trying the listed in the link below. Good luck on your search. 

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/cobra-king-f9-speedback-hybrid-satin-black-18cbrmf9hybrdblkshyb/18cbrmf9hybrdblkshyb

4 minutes ago, BeCu said:

So I have played / owned the ones you listed. All fine clubs. The Ping was my choice due to ball flight and accuracy for me vs the Callaways. The Ping was not the longest but I desired good consistent carry distance and could actually hit into greens without excessive roll out. Obviously everyone is different and many can hit others into greens fine, I just could not with the Callaways (but Ioved the total distance they yielded). But recently I hit a Cobra hybrid and now I am thinking about trying the listed in the link below. Good luck on your search. 

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/cobra-king-f9-speedback-hybrid-satin-black-18cbrmf9hybrdblkshyb/18cbrmf9hybrdblkshyb

There are not a lot of things that I'm sure of with regard to golf. The one thing I AM sure of is the Cobra F7 hybrid is the best Hybrid that Cobra has ever produced. Better than the Speedzone, better than the F9 hybrid, WAY WAY WAY better than the F8 (The F8 was a giant step backward for Cobra Hybrids). 

That said, the Speedzone and the F9 are fine hybrids. But the f7 was simply better. Better shaft options and it was the last hybrid Cobra produced with the "My-Fly" technology. Additionally, it was not "Snap-hooky" like some many hybrids of a few years ago were. The baffler technology was at its peak with the F7 as well. 

You don't have to take my word for it. Go out and try to buy a used Cobra F7 Hybrid... Holy cow, there aren't any available, There are plenty of F6 hybrids (even some non-used ones), There are tons of used F8 hybrids (Again, big step backward IMO). There are F9's and even used Speedzone hybrids already available. Good luck finding an F7 (unless you are a lefty). Those of us who have F7 hybrids are not selling them. You can pry mine from my cold dead hands. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

17 hours ago, BeCu said:

Lol, the reason I'm looking is that since I don't hit my hybrid much I gave my Cobra (don't recall the model) to my son for his school season.  I am in general a fan of Cobra since they seem to be as good as but less expensive than a lot of the competitors.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BeCu said:

Ok, you convinced me.  And the plus is allegedly a nearby Dick's has one (exactly one) in stock.  I ordered the f9 for curbside pickup.  With my coupon and rewards, out the door for under 100 bucks.  Now I'm just concerned their inventory is off and they really don't have it on hand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, srguthrie said:

Ok, you convinced me.  And the plus is allegedly a nearby Dick's has one (exactly one) in stock.  I ordered the f9 for curbside pickup.  With my coupon and rewards, out the door for under 100 bucks.  Now I'm just concerned their inventory is off and they really don't have it on hand.

I bought my son a F9 hybrid about a month ago. Took him about 5 shots to get comfortable with it and he loves it. Great distance and few mishits. I got his for a total of $18. Caught it on sale and used my Dicks rewards and gift cards. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

There are not a lot of things that I'm sure of with regard to golf. The one thing I AM sure of is the Cobra F7 hybrid is the best Hybrid that Cobra has ever produced. Better than the Speedzone, better than the F9 hybrid, WAY WAY WAY better than the F8 (The F8 was a giant step backward for Cobra Hybrids). 

That said, the Speedzone and the F9 are fine hybrids. But the f7 was simply better. Better shaft options and it was the last hybrid Cobra produced with the "My-Fly" technology. Additionally, it was not "Snap-hooky" like some many hybrids of a few years ago were. The baffler technology was at its peak with the F7 as well. 

You don't have to take my word for it. Go out and try to buy a used Cobra F7 Hybrid... Holy cow, there aren't any available, There are plenty of F6 hybrids (even some non-used ones), There are tons of used F8 hybrids (Again, big step backward IMO). There are F9's and even used Speedzone hybrids already available. Good luck finding an F7 (unless you are a lefty). Those of us who have F7 hybrids are not selling them. You can pry mine from my cold dead hands. 

Dayum, now this is someone who really loves his club! :-$

• Thumbs Up 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

37 minutes ago, mclaren4life said:

I bought my son a F9 hybrid about a month ago. Took him about 5 shots to get comfortable with it and he loves it. Great distance and few mishits. I got his for a total of $18. Caught it on sale and used my Dicks rewards and gift cards. 

I'll give you $50 for it.  You'll more than double your money! 🙂

7 hours ago, mclaren4life said:

That is awesome you were only out of pocket $18. 

Note: This thread is 1351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!