nevets88

Golf Magazine Tests Balata Versus Modern Ball Using Robot

6 posts / 882 viewsLast Reply

Pretty obvious as we all known, balata will spin more. Distance loss more pronounced for driver vs irons. But a lot of subtle differences mentioned in the piece. And lots of data.

RobotTesting-1856-Wall.jpg

What happens when you test modern equipment with a balata ball? GOLF.com linked up with an industry leader in the independent testing...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting study. Wish they would have talked about horizontal dispersion as well. The one table with data shows the balata ball being more accurate than the modern ball. I want to explore that more.

A good test and just shows how much technology has moved the game to "bomb and gouge" as the article stated.  I have a large quantity of older wound balls - some solid core, some liquid core (they are fun to cut open).  I love hitting them around the yard when practicing pitches and chips. Maybe one day I will take some to the course just for fun - but on that day I will also bring my "real" wood driver, 3 & 4 fairways, the old blade irons just to have fun and see what kind of round I would shoot using vintage everything.....

I had a friend that played on the Tour a few years while this was all going on. His driving average increased from 270 to 285+ overnight with the change in balls and second gen metal woods. 

I remember watching Freddy hitting irons low and then peak and drop from the spin. Today's balls are just so much better. 

I went out a few years ago When I was playing my Ping Eye2 irons and took a few balata Titleists.  I wanted to see if ball and club tech went hand in hand to see the improvements.

i had been using the eye2 irons but with prov1 balls.  I wondered why I hit them shorter than I did with balata.  I hit them side by side and off the eye2 irons balata was longer, spun  more and had a lower launch angle and ball flight.  Also angle of decent was good.

The pro v1 spun less, launched too high, had an overall higher flight and a steep decent angle.  It all added up to lost distance.  

Now the prov1 with a modern iron like my Ping ie-1 irons was much better than a balata with these irons.  Gotta keep your ball and club tech together.

Also, it wasn’t a huge distance difference... 5 yards max.  The balata would land, take a hop forward and then spin back.  The pro v would just drop and stop.  Decent angle.

i remember when I hit the balata and said to myself, “there it is”.... that was the launch and height window I’d been looking for.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Affiliates

SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
    • That’s a solid post right there Scott. Totally agree.
    • I'm not sure if I agree there would be much of a difference who wins with or without spectators. Haven't both BAD and Wolff won regular events before the lockdown? With all due respect to how hard announcing is, Dan Hicks was just too repetitive and talky, even with the bits of WF he knew because he's a member. I would have liked to have heard the names of all the holes, like for ANGC. Also the young uns' talking on their phone walking to the first tee, like I'm sure the olds do that too. Working the youth angle a bit too hard. If Wolff won, you would have seen people imitating his swing on the range, BAD, I dunno, people going into traction trying to swing as hard as they can? I missed this 6 putt by Danny Lee. And this little gem from Sabbatini.    
    • Love his commitment, self-confidence, and most aspects of his game once he finally commits to the shot, steps in, and pulls the trigger.  OTOH, the excessive discussions, calculations, over-analysis, second guessing of yardages and percentages, recalculating, etc. on almost every shot have huge potential to negatively impact the game at all levels.  It's not so much his method, but the constant TV coverage of it!  Really wish they would only cover him when he's actually ready to step in and hit the shot...the same goes for everyone on the green who takes forever to line up a putt!  
    • My best shot this week has to be the knockdown 8I I nearly holed on Saturday. Par 5, third shot. I had about 125 to the pin, which would normally be choking down slightly on a 9I for me, but there was a pretty strong headwind, so I figured a 9I would balloon up in the air and fall way short. So I choked down on the 8I. If my normal, fast and hard swing is 100%, I swung at about 75%. I hit it perfectly, and the ball took off at exactly the trajectory I imagined it would, right at the pin. It pitched down about five feet short, bit hard and stopped six inches past the hole. Thing is, I’ve never practiced that shot, so I’m thrilled about it. Another contender for best shot of the week was on the 17th hole on Wednesday. I bombed one over the fairway bunkers, which require a 230-yard carry to clear, and I cleared them by probably ten yards. That’s one of my best drives.
    • This 100. The announcers were one of the biggest reasons that I was turned off to Spieth.  They were so falling over themselves complimenting him before he had actually achieved anything that it really turned me off to him which is no fault of his but that over the top fawning just makes me aghast and that's how I react. I applaud Bryson for what he accomplished this weak but the announcers were talking about him as if he were superman and as though it was mystifying how he accomplished what he did.  I already wasn't partial to him so they pretty much turned me off even more to him.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. bkuehn1952
      bkuehn1952
      (68 years old)
    2. Bryan Kasper
      Bryan Kasper
      (28 years old)
    3. Greg Pickett Golf
      Greg Pickett Golf
      (65 years old)
    4. hobecorning
      hobecorning
      (78 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...