IGNORED

"Staying Connected" and Lead Arm Adduction

iacas

For an on-plane wrist cock and swing with no overswing, can an elbow around the body be caused by incorrect right elbow hinge? Like instead of correctly hinging/folding along the elbow pit, the right elbow is folding in a different direction?

1 hour ago, nahagrerwe said:

For an on-plane wrist cock and swing with no overswing, can an elbow around the body be caused by incorrect right elbow hinge? Like instead of correctly hinging/folding along the elbow pit, the right elbow is folding in a different direction?

Do you mean elbow folding direction to be internal vs external rotation of your shoulder? The elbow only folds in one direction.

How much the trail elbow gets around or behind the body has more to do with the amount of lead arm adduction and too much elbow bend than whether you internally or externally rotate your trail shoulder. You can have a flying elbow and not have it behind your body.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

The elbow only folds in one direction.

Thank you I didn't realize that. I don't have a flying elbow, but my elbow is too far behind the body. Also, looking at the lead arm adduction video posted above, wouldn't too much lead arm adduction cause the swing to be too flat?

Edited by nahagrerwe

17 minutes ago, nahagrerwe said:

wouldn't too much lead arm adduction cause the swing to be too flat?

Not necessarily, but need you to clarify this. What do you mean by too flat? Backswing? Downswing?

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

By too flat, I meant that the lead arm doesn't relatively cover the right shoulder/neck at the top of the backswing. If my lead arm covers the right shoulder at the top, can too much left arm adduction still occur during the backswing?

Edited by nahagrerwe
Changed wording

50 minutes ago, nahagrerwe said:

By too flat, I meant that the lead arm doesn't relatively cover the right shoulder/neck at the top of the backswing. If my lead arm covers the right shoulder at the top, can too much left arm adduction still occur during the backswing?

Yes. If anything, the range of motion for arm adduction is at its highest when the arm is shoulder height.

Again, the amount of trail arm bend matters, too. Because the hands are connected, the more you bend the trail elbow, the more adducted your lead arm gets.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nahagrerwe said:

Okay thank you for the reply. Just to make sure, you are saying the top causes of elbow behind body are lead arm adduction and amount of right elbow bend?

Please take my advice and start a Member Swing topic, ideally with a video or at least some photos.

We can make educated guesses about why but there are many actual primary causes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 12/19/2020 at 3:35 PM, nahagrerwe said:

Okay thank you for the reply. Just to make sure, you are saying the top causes of elbow behind body are lead arm adduction and amount of right elbow bend?

Main cause could be the pivot (or lack of), arms reacting to the motion of the torso. Depends on the player. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

16 hours ago, mvmac said:

Main cause could be the pivot (or lack of), arms reacting to the motion of the torso. Depends on the player. 

By "pivot", are you talking about not swaying the hips in the backswing?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, nahagrerwe said:

By "pivot", are you talking about not swaying the hips in the backswing?

He's talking about the way you turn in the backswing, yes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
2 hours ago, nahagrerwe said:

Hi guys, does internal or external rotation of the right shoulder have anything to do with elbow behind the body? Or does that only have to do with flying elbow?

Sure.

Look, please take this the way it's intended, which is to help you.

You're not asking general "golf swing theory" questions. You're asking about your swing. And even if you think you're asking general golf swing theory type questions, they're much, much too vague and broad.

The elbow can get too far "around" you with either internal or external rotation.

Start your Member Swing topic, please, so we can answer the questions based on YOUR swing.

• Administrator

Upload to YouTube. Or Vimeo.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 1