IGNORED

"Staying Connected" and Lead Arm Adduction

iacas

Whew!...that was a lot to get thru.  Interesting though.  Am I wrong in thinking that "disconnected" means allowing any particular part of the body to get so out of sequence with the other parts that the necessary corrections destroy the procedure?  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nice post @iacas, I like the updated definition of connected, makes a lot of sense to me. 

Yes, the arms basically load "up" as the pivot provides the "in". This is where 3D can be really beneficial because the look of players on the backswing can skew things.

If you want to improve "connection", probably better to ditch the tees under the arms.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Good read. Info like this really reinforces for me how glad I am that there are people dedicated to studying the golf swing and breaking down all the technical elements (i.e. quality golf instructors) so I don’t have to.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Great explanation @iacas

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Really good read, especially for someone who could quite easily sub as the model for many of the bad position photos.

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

Maybe I’m wrong, but I always thought of “maintaining connection” as “maintaining the triangle,” so in that sense it’s basically what this post is saying. So perhaps I erroneously reached the correct conclusion 😅

Anyway, great post. Keeping my hands in front of me is something I’ve always struggled with. I tend to get my left arm adducted too much late in the backswing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I feel like I was the inspiration for this post because of how dense I’m being in My Swing thread. Please do not dispute that. Let me feel important. 

great post!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

My latest lesson had me moving the lead arm off the chest like 30 degrees on the backswing. I really feel the pivot pulling the hands in after A1. Before I was pulling my hands in while trying to kick the clubhead out. The gist is the change got me to a better position at A4 more consistently. So I’m pretty much disconnecting in the popular sense of the definition right from the get go. It can be seen in recent videos in my swing thread.

The adduction I feel in transition when I make a good swing happens quickly. It’s like a quick adduction then abduction, which I think gels with the not jammed feeling Erik is talking about. It happens more naturally. When I try and force adduction I get a lot of chaos.  

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Any feels or drills or input on getting the arms and hands to stay in front of my chest instead the current approx 96 inches perpendicular to my left earlobe?

Colin P.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't drop in often but when I do it is great to see top content like this. The stay connected idea to me has always made me think of the exact problem this thread shows and gives me some great pointers for me next range session. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent points here, and excellent video to illustrate them. The swing seems so much easier when you apply them. Lately, I've focused on the height of my right elbow through the backswing which accomplishes the same thing for me. After doing it "wrong" for so long it felt like the "flying right elbow" we've been taught to avoid for years. But if you look at some of the longest drivers over the years (Nicklaus, Couples, Bubba and now Wolff) you will see some pretty high right elbows at the top of their backswings. But this just makes it easier to drop the club down into the "slot" and hit from the inside. And that's why a guy like Wolff can hit it as far as DeChambeau without bulking up. 

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, I was wondering what are some main causes of the right elbow being too far around / behind the body at the top of the backswing. Everything else in my backswing is solid.  For example, my elbow isn't flying and my arms aren't overswinging (so I don't think it's a John Daly / Freddy Couples elbow); also, my A3 position is similar to that of a textbook swing (example Adam Scott), so it's not a Charlie Wi type of elbow (with all due respect, Wi is a very great golfer). Any feedback appreciated.

Also, I looked at the recent new posts, and realized I've been posting way too many of them compared to all of you guys.  From now on, I will keep them to a minimum.

• Administrator

@nahagrerwe, I merged your topic here because I think this is what you’re after. Check it out.

Also you don’t have to post less, just search and add to existing topics. I’d also recommend starting a Member Swing topic. Post a video if you have one, but even if you don’t you can ask questions there and people can direct you to topics like this that apply, and converse with you specifically about your swing.

Also it’s a slower time of year for us in the U.S.

Also, this may help:

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets