IGNORED

New Iron Build (Maltby TE Forged Irons)

Note: This thread is 1073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am planning on building me a set of these irons. I just got a 7 iron head in today to check it out before I purchased a whole set.

Just wondering if anyone out there has used these heads and get any feedback from you golfers out there. These look very plain to me and with no-nonsence lines or gimmicks to them.

To me a very attractive iron head...

Any thoughts??

I have been using Maltby components since the late 90's.  Mostly I built wedges, putters, and fairway woods...plus an occasional driver.  The irons in my bag, at present, are Maltby TU's circa 2010 or so.

I always liked the TE forged heads and so, a couple years ago, I ordered a set.  They've got DG R300's in them and are about a quarter inch longer than the TU's.  I kept them in the bag for a little over a year.  Then I went back to the TU's.

The main reason was the total weight.  The head weights are close but the shaft weights are not.  After years of swinging the TU's the TE's feel heavy.  My plan is to reshaft the TE's with something (in steel) a bit lighter but still in the same R-flex.

Anyway...I do like the heads.  I tweaked the recipe a bit and it didn't work out like I'd hoped.  Live and learn.  

P.S.  I am going to pull the grips and knock a quarter inch off the butt end.  That might do it.  At any rate it would be less expensive than ordering another set of shafts.

Good luck with your project.

• Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Right now I play the Titleist AP 2's. They are a great club. When I bought them they had a Kuro Kage graphite shaft in them. After playing them one season I reshafted them with a True Temper TT Lite shaft. I left them one inch long. I have always liked the feel of a longer iron which also made a heavier swingweight. Right around a D-8. I am 66 years old and I still prefer a steel shaft over graphite. Mainly because I find it easier to work the ball. I have really no reason to change other than I just like trying different things. They are a tad longer than my AP-2s, but from the address position they look very nice. Really thinking about giving them a try...

I bought a couple of the TE heads that I will eventually get around to building for a video. So I have not actually hit them but I can say that they look really good. Never quite know what a club will look like in person compared to pictures, but these don't have any issues in appearance.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up purchasing a set of these irons. I think they were 250 dollars for the whole set including shafts and grips. Great looking head, and also great to hit. I have played Titleist AP-2's for probably 4 or 5 years now and they are also a great set of clubs. I just wanted to try something different. I left them an inch long just to try them with a bit more weight. They hit great and were very smooth. Really couldn't tell a difference between them and my Titleist. The blades were just a fraction longer, but they had a thinner top line and looked very good at address.

• iacas changed the title to New Iron Build (Maltby TE Forged Irons)
  • 6 months later...

I built a set of these irons a number of years ago.  Prior to that, I played Ping Eye 2's and Calloway's.  Those, obviously were good clubs, but I liked the look of more of a blade iron and didn't think I was good enough to buy true blades.  The TE's look the part, but give me the forgiveness that I need.  I still have my other sets, but I have not been tempted to go back to them.  The weird thing is, the lofting on the TE's are more traditional (i.e. higher lofted), but I didn't seem to lose any distance.  Now keep in mind, I am not a long hitter.  My 7 iron is my 150 club.

I've had TE's for about 4 years now and I think they're a very good head.

Beware of old dudes with old clubs and new grips.

Note: This thread is 1073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!