IGNORED

Driver Shaft Alternatives After Club Fit

Note: This thread is 1267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

New to the site so this is my first post.

I finally went for a club fit the other day. It was great and all but they ended up fitting me into what looks like the most expensive shafts going  for every club:(

They didn't offer alternatives as I guess it means I might go elsewhere.

I'm essentially looking for a Stiff shaft for my Callaway xHot driver. 

They recommended a:

VA Slay 55: Flex Three (£200)

Length: 45.25

Are there any cheaper/second hand Alternatives I could look at?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

5 hours ago, Johnnyboy4458 said:

Hi all,

New to the site so this is my first post.

I finally went for a club fit the other day. It was great and all but they ended up fitting me into what looks like the most expensive shafts going  for every club😞

They didn't offer alternatives as I guess it means I might go elsewhere.

I'm essentially looking for a Stiff shaft for my Callaway xHot driver. 

They recommended a:

VA Slay 55: Flex Three (£200)

Length: 45.25

Are there any cheaper/second hand Alternatives I could look at?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

Hi John and welcome to TST. We have a club builder here who can help with this. He’s very knowledgeable. Welcome! @Adam C.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, colin007 said:

Pro Launch Blue or Red?

Hi,

He didn't actually say. I have a standard flex shaft at the moment which goes really high with 7k spin and I think goes backwards towards the end of the flight 🙂

Im sure any stiff shaft would be an improvement but it would be great to get one close to the adviced club fit.

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Hi John and welcome to TST. We have a club builder here who can help with this. He’s very knowledgeable. Welcome! @Adam C.

That's pretty cool.

Hi @Adam C,

As per the above and my reply below. Looking for a serious improvement to my current shaft on my driver whilst keeping the head. I'm a 12 HC so not looking for the best of the best. Just something to calm go crazy high spin which the shaft above cut in half.

Regards

John 

27 minutes ago, Johnnyboy4458 said:

Hi,

He didn't actually say. I have a standard flex shaft at the moment which goes really high with 7k spin and I think goes backwards towards the end of the flight 🙂

Im sure any stiff shaft would be an improvement but it would be great to get one close to the adviced club fit.

That's pretty cool.

Hi @Adam C,

As per the above and my reply below. Looking for a serious improvement to my current shaft on my driver whilst keeping the head. I'm a 12 HC so not looking for the best of the best. Just something to calm go crazy high spin which the shaft above cut in half.

Regards

John 

Ima go out on a limb here and say 7k spin is a swing fault that will NOT be fixed by changing the shaft

Colin P.

16 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Ima go out on a limb here and say 7k spin is a swing fault that will NOT be fixed by changing the shaft

Was more like 6.5 but I rounded it up. 

To be fair, it was almost halved with a different shaft and a little swing adjustment mid fit.

Have a tendency to come over a little...or a lot 🙂

Few different things to look at here. First as already mentioned 6.5K spin is really high and no shaft is going to bring that down by itself. I would like to see that number under 3000. I would suggest taking a look at where you are making contact on the face of the club as that can greatly influence the spin numbers. Also just fyi, that head is going to produce more spin than something from the last 4 or 5 years. I would almost be tempted to say find a new driver and just go with the shaft that comes with it.

What loft is on the current driver as that will also play a big role in spin and launch? Also did not see any mention of ball flight height. Assuming its really high, but wanted to check if it starts high or rises up after launch.

If you want comp shaft recommendations to the Slay, which is technically mid price range by todays pricing, there are tons out there. VA actually calls this shaft a high launch, low spin design. Now technically that isn't really possible as launch and spin go together ie high/high or low/low. It really looks more like a mid launch and spin design to me. Similar options to look at could be Aldila Tour Blue 55g (Ebay around $60), any Mitsubishi Blue board style (will say blue in name or have blue color on it) again in 55g (Ebay around $80-$200 depending on model) would be too options. What else did you hit during the fitting, as that could help narrow down options. 

Last thing, I might watch this video below I did concerning finding the ideal set up for your driver. Again the swing is going to be the biggest influence but impact position on the face will also play a large role.

15 hours ago, Adam C said:

Few different things to look at here. First as already mentioned 6.5K spin is really high and no shaft is going to bring that down by itself. I would like to see that number under 3000. I would suggest taking a look at where you are making contact on the face of the club as that can greatly influence the spin numbers. Also just fyi, that head is going to produce more spin than something from the last 4 or 5 years. I would almost be tempted to say find a new driver and just go with the shaft that comes with it.

What loft is on the current driver as that will also play a big role in spin and launch? Also did not see any mention of ball flight height. Assuming its really high, but wanted to check if it starts high or rises up after launch.

If you want comp shaft recommendations to the Slay, which is technically mid price range by todays pricing, there are tons out there. VA actually calls this shaft a high launch, low spin design. Now technically that isn't really possible as launch and spin go together ie high/high or low/low. It really looks more like a mid launch and spin design to me. Similar options to look at could be Aldila Tour Blue 55g (Ebay around $60), any Mitsubishi Blue board style (will say blue in name or have blue color on it) again in 55g (Ebay around $80-$200 depending on model) would be too options. What else did you hit during the fitting, as that could help narrow down options. 

Last thing, I might watch this video below I did concerning finding the ideal set up for your driver. Again the swing is going to be the biggest influence but impact position on the face will also play a large role.

Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for such a detailed reply.

I didnt get a chance to screenshot my data but the launch height was very high and i knew that before getting fitted just by playing. Current loft of the X Hot is 10.5 but sometimes feels like 18.5 :). I would say it starts normal height but then gets really high, and almost gets trapped in the wind, possibly due to high spin. I get almost zero run on.

"What else did you hit during the fitting, as that could help narrow down options. "

- I hit all the new heads really, it was a very quick fitting so didnt get a chance to write and keep up.

It definately feels like i need something to help reduce spin. For sure my current regular flex shaft.

If you think the head wont be helping me, I could just go for a new drivers but wouldnt really know what to look for. £/$200 would be about the budget.

Or I could just pick up one of the shafts mentioned by you previously.

Thanks again

John

1 hour ago, Johnnyboy4458 said:

Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for such a detailed reply.

I didnt get a chance to screenshot my data but the launch height was very high and i knew that before getting fitted just by playing. Current loft of the X Hot is 10.5 but sometimes feels like 18.5 :). I would say it starts normal height but then gets really high, and almost gets trapped in the wind, possibly due to high spin. I get almost zero run on.

"What else did you hit during the fitting, as that could help narrow down options. "

- I hit all the new heads really, it was a very quick fitting so didnt get a chance to write and keep up.

It definately feels like i need something to help reduce spin. For sure my current regular flex shaft.

If you think the head wont be helping me, I could just go for a new drivers but wouldnt really know what to look for. £/$200 would be about the budget.

Or I could just pick up one of the shafts mentioned by you previously.

Thanks again

John

Loft will always play a much larger role in spin and launch angle than any shaft will so it may make sense to get a lower lofted head to start with. I might look at a 9 degree Callaway Rogue Driver or similar. It's a couple models old at this point but you can still find them and since you already have a Callaway wouldn't be a huge change in feel. Callaway also has a great pre-owned site where you can get some really good deals on used and like new equipment.

I just have serious doubts that the simple shaft change will really do much for your issue over the long haul so a head change makes more sense to me.

1 hour ago, Adam C said:

Loft will always play a much larger role in spin and launch angle than any shaft will so it may make sense to get a lower lofted head to start with. I might look at a 9 degree Callaway Rogue Driver or similar. It's a couple models old at this point but you can still find them and since you already have a Callaway wouldn't be a huge change in feel. Callaway also has a great pre-owned site where you can get some really good deals on used and like new equipment.

Not sure about that. You can lower the loft by a few degrees and get a few hundred RPM. Yet, I can see the same with a dramatic change with a driver shaft change. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

29 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Not sure about that. You can lower the loft by a few degrees and get a few hundred RPM. Yet, I can see the same with a dramatic change with a driver shaft change. 

Well you also swing ridiculously fast....🙂

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

We are talking technical measurements based on what a shaft can physically do versus what a loft change can do. Yes, there are cases where a shaft influences the golfer timing and swing sequence to impact ball flight to a greater degree, but this would be difficult to measure and has too many variables that go along with it including face impact location and short term vs. long term effect (ie how shaft X impacts your swing when following shaft W versus shaft Y and how that compares to how shaft X impacts your swing when placed in the general rotation of your specific golf bag versus during a fitting).

On 9/28/2020 at 5:46 PM, Adam C said:

We are talking technical measurements based on what a shaft can physically do versus what a loft change can do. Yes, there are cases where a shaft influences the golfer timing and swing sequence to impact ball flight to a greater degree, but this would be difficult to measure and has too many variables that go along with it including face impact location and short term vs. long term effect (ie how shaft X impacts your swing when following shaft W versus shaft Y and how that compares to how shaft X impacts your swing when placed in the general rotation of your specific golf bag versus during a fitting).

Hi @Adam C

My current shaft in the driver is an:

ALDILA Tour ATX 55 R

21 minutes ago, Johnnyboy4458 said:

Hi @Adam C

My current shaft in the driver is an:

ALDILA Tour ATX 55 R

Hmmm. That was one of the shafts I was thinking if it is the blue version. What's in your 3 wood and do you like it.

3 hours ago, Johnnyboy4458 said:

It's the blue version currently. 

When you say one of the shafts you were thinking. Thinking I should buy? 

I was thinking it could be a good option. But since that is the starting shaft that had bad results, scrap that idea. The blue is counterbalanced though, so that might be an issue. If you want to do a cheap experiment, get some lead tape and put 2-3 inches of it somewhere on the back of the head and see if that does anything to your ball flight.

11 hours ago, Adam C said:

I was thinking it could be a good option. But since that is the starting shaft that had bad results, scrap that idea. The blue is counterbalanced though, so that might be an issue. If you want to do a cheap experiment, get some lead tape and put 2-3 inches of it somewhere on the back of the head and see if that does anything to your ball flight.

Anywhere in particular on the head? I have lead tape.

2 hours ago, Johnnyboy4458 said:

Anywhere in particular on the head? I have lead tape.

Back, heel, toe, doesn't really matter as this amount of tape won't change ball flight based on location of it. Just trying to see if a heavier head changes anything in your results.

Note: This thread is 1267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!