26 posts / 940 viewsLast Reply

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

Technique would be the same. The backswing length and pivot rate will be different. I can pitch shots up to 70 yards with my SW. I can also hit more of a standard wedge shot. 

Do you ever open the face to create more loft? 

Just now, Vespidae said:

Do you ever open the face to create more loft? 

Yep, but the technique is the same. I just need to adjust the speed because more loft means a more glancing blow. Most of the time you can hit pitch shots with a square club face and get plenty of loft. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Vespidae said:

Is your 10 yard pitch the same as your 50 yard pitch?

I dont generally pitch from 10 yards or 50 yards. I'm a chipper or half swinger. I only pitch if I absolutely need to land it soft. This normally comes up when I come up short and the pin is completely tucked. I probably play a single pitch shot every 1 or 2 rounds. To be fair, I hit it fairly short with my full 52 degree going between 80 and 90 yards. My 56 degree goes 65 max, so I don't have to alter it much to get 50 yards out of it. 

I will say that I have been somewhat naturally gifted distance control wise, and since I am often short of the green I get plenty of practice at it. If I found myself pin high or off the back, I might have a different views on required shots. Even then, running the ball past the hole isn't the end of the world. I'd need to look at it more, but if I had to guess my average strokes from inside of 30 yards is probably 2.6-3, which is definitely better than average at our hdcp. 

13 minutes ago, Vespidae said:

Is your 10 yard pitch the same as your 50 yard pitch?

Mine is, with the obvious exceptions that I vary the speed (via length, pivot speed, etc.). Technique is the same.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Mine is, with the obvious exceptions that I vary the speed (via length, pivot speed, etc.). Technique is the same.

Mine isn't. I decide whether I want to use the leading edge and drive the shot or use the bounce and make it float a little higher and little softer. Once I do that, then yes ... all the shots of that type are the same, only the swing is longer or faster.

2 minutes ago, Vespidae said:

Mine isn't. I decide whether I want to use the leading edge and drive the shot or use the bounce and make it float a little higher and little softer. Once I do that, then yes ... all the shots of that type are the same, only the swing is longer or faster.

That's not what you asked.

And that's two shots. A chip and a pitch.

You're a 17. You don't need to be hitting a "cut pinch."

24 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I will say that I have been somewhat naturally gifted distance control wise, and since I am often short of the green

These two statements contradict each other 😜

I’m just picking on you, of course. I know we’re talking about the short game here.

25 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Even then, running the ball past the hole isn't the end of the world.

Agreed. Eight feet past the hole isn’t much different than eight feet short of the hole.

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

These two statements contradict each other 😜

I’m just picking on you, of course. I know we’re talking about the short game here.

Of course of course. Really need to hit the super speed sticks this winter. 220 drives and 100 yard PW for a guy of my age is abysmal. 

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

Agreed. Eight feet past the hole isn’t much different than eight feet short of the hole.

Even more important is any amount past, but on the green, is superior to still being unputtable because you duffed or skulled it. Those 2 reliable shots are superior to 6 shots that you can hit 70 percent of the time. 

Edited by Bonvivant