IGNORED

Improving with a Significantly Shortened Backswing

Note: This thread is 1286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

I am around 20 handicap mark at present, haven't played much of late. I feel I have the ability to get lower through putting it more time into game, and no covid restrictions, avern't played in over 3 months, golf has been shut down completely at present. I notice when I take a significantly shortened backswing, like your left hand is almost parallel with the ground on take back to give you the idea, I make pretty consistent and repeatable contact, thus resulting in slightly shorter length, but decent, for my current level of playing..

Wondering if anyone else has any experience of this

Love any thoughts on the subject, thank you in advance

Looseleftie

• iacas changed the title to Improving with a Significantly Shortened Backswing

Have you filmed your swing? Good chances are your significantly shorter backswing is longer than you think it is (which isn't a problem, just know that feel isn't real)

One of my main practice drills with my irons is making shorter, compact swings, feeling like I stop where Tony Finau does in the backswing, when I go back and look at it on video, it is often close to what some people have as their full length swings. 

If you are making consistent and repeatable contact that is great especially at your handicap level, when you say slightly shorter length, how far are you talking? If you are only hitting your 7 iron 100 yds then that might be a problem depending on what tees you play from, but if a regular 7 iron goes 155 and your shorter compact 7 iron goes 145 then I would be fine with that for now and work on other areas of your game then once you have a solid foundation on those you can come back to irons and work on adding a bit more swing length/speed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
7 hours ago, looseleftie said:

I am around 20 handicap mark at present, haven't played much of late. I feel I have the ability to get lower through putting it more time into game, and no covid restrictions, avern't played in over 3 months, golf has been shut down completely at present. I notice when I take a significantly shortened backswing, like your left hand is almost parallel with the ground on take back to give you the idea, I make pretty consistent and repeatable contact, thus resulting in slightly shorter length, but decent, for my current level of playing...

Your swing is probably longer than you realize. Your half swing might be a full swing, and your full swing might be ridiculously long.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Agree with what everyone has said about video because this:

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

Your swing is probably longer than you realize. Your half swing might be a full swing, and your full swing might be ridiculously long.

is absolutely me. And I didn't realize this until I started filming.

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

(edited)

RE shorter, still hit PW 100m, 3 hybrid 165-170m and driver 190-210m

Re longer swing than I realize,  a mate recorded me, I have done this also myself, my backswing gets to the point just before my left arm begins to bend (doing this for a right hander)..it would be approx 90deg in backswing, close to parallel with the ground (just less than)...  it feels solid and repeatable, even though I'm a mid handicapper for the moment..

I will record myself over next  day or so and upload it

Edited by looseleftie

Note: This thread is 1286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!