IGNORED

Clubs for a beginner...

Note: This thread is 5880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all, I've been wanting to get into playing golf for quite a while, my friend took me out to a course by our school over the fall and I loved it. I'll be graduating in May and will have more time to start playing once I finish so I'm looking into buying a set of clubs. I know that I don't need anything crazy but I would like so input on a set I found at Dick's.. Top-Flite XL doesn't look too bad but then again I don't know what looks good either. I did like it because it includes two hybrid clubs which I've heard that are easier to hit. Some input would be great, thanks everyone!

I think your money would be better spent on piecing together quality used equipment than by buying an all-in-one set. Look at your local golf store or used sporting equipment store, or eBay even. You can find decent name-brand iron sets for under $200 on eBay, they'll just have a few rounds on them. Obviously you will eventually want to get fitted for clubs, but at this point while you're creating your swing it's not worth the extra money.

If you're interested in a hybrid iron set look for the Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid set. They can be had for around $200 on eBay. Then you can add a driver and wedges around that.

What's in my Edge stand bag
G10 10.5*
Z-Steel 3 wood 14.5* 403-AD 18* & 21* Hybrids Burner 09 4-pw DGS300 Z TP 52* & RAC TP Black 56* White Steel 2 Ball SRT 35" Tour B330s

I think your money would be better spent on piecing together quality used equipment than by buying an all-in-one set. Look at your local golf store or used sporting equipment store, or eBay even. You can find decent name-brand iron sets for under $200 on eBay, they'll just have a few rounds on them. Obviously you will eventually want to get fitted for clubs, but at this point while you're creating your swing it's not worth the extra money.

I agree with this sentiment. Generally I would add these few recomendations...

1) try to determine approximate swing speed and purchase accordingly 2) used is definately way to go 3) if not used, buy older model equipment on sale 4) driver should probably have 12-14* loft (at least to start) 5) cavity back game improvement or super game improvement irons 6) maybe a few hybrids to replace long irons
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Take a look into the Adams Idea combo sets... I've heard great things about them for beginners.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

I did a search for used golf clubs and pieced this together, let me know what you think and if I'm missing anything, total price is around $300 which I would be willing to spend.

Used Nike Ignite 450
Driver $49.99

Used Nike SLINGSHOT
#4 Hybrid $39.99

Used Nike IGNITE T60
3 Wood Fairway Wood Men Right Hand $44.99

Used Nike OZ MALLET
Putter $39.99

Used MacGregor NVG2
5-PW Iron Set $109.99

Used Nike CCI Iron
Sand Wedge Wedge $19.99

I'm surprised no one has said this yet: how tall are you, compared to average? If you're very tall or very short, the off-the-shelf may be beyond bad for you.

Also, shaft flex - I've seen many beginners convince themselves that they cannot hit the ball well when they're using mis-fit shafts. You most likely want R-Flex in the shafts: check for that before you buy. Don't fall into the "I'm a beginner, it doesn't matter" trap - it matters very much at the beginning!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm surprised no one has said this yet: how tall are you, compared to average? If you're very tall or very short, the off-the-shelf may be beyond bad for you.

I disagree with you to an extent... if he is brand new, he won't have a consistent enough swing to establish proper lie angle. As for length, some companies 7 irons are up to 3/4 or 1" different, so length isn't that key, YET. I did mention shaft flex (swing speed), which is really all I would worry about as far as fitting is concerned at this point. After a month he can always have the clubs bent appropriately. Maybe if he is 6'4" like myself or very short he may want to look for slightly longer or shorter clubs.

You are right about shafts and maybe my post wasn't that clear as I only mentioned swing speed... he should try to get his swing speed checked, while making a comfotable and controlled swing.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I would check places like rockbottomgolf.com. They're always having some sort of sale and they have a great reputation for quality used clubs. I'd also check around with your friends. There might be somebody you work with or golf with who is upgrading and could give you a really good deal. Trade-in value for clubs is next to nothing at most golf stores, so you can make a deal that works out good for both parties.

Basically, get a set that won't frustrate you, but also won't set you back too far if you decide later on that golf just isn't for you. Though that won't be very likely.

What's in my Edge stand bag
G10 10.5*
Z-Steel 3 wood 14.5* 403-AD 18* & 21* Hybrids Burner 09 4-pw DGS300 Z TP 52* & RAC TP Black 56* White Steel 2 Ball SRT 35" Tour B330s

ebay, definately ebay
If you don't like what you end up with you'll probably be able to resell it for about the same amount. I would take the time to get fit, and then look for clubs at your specs on ebay.

driver: G10 draw 9 degrees
hybrids DWS 16 and 20 degrees
irons: x-16 3-pw
wedges: 588 RTG 51, 56 & 60
putter: Heavy Putter B3-Mball: hx tour (I'll switch after I lose these)

Don't forget craigslist for looking for used clubs. If you live in a major metro area there will be lots of stuff. Be patient, check every day, new listings all the time.

Craigslist usually has clubs in several categories:

1. Garagesale fodder... really old, really beat clubs that have been kicking around in somebody's garage forever... usually mismatched grab-bag... usually with 1 club worth MAYBE keeping :)

Then again, a complete yet beat up set for $20 might be able to help you get started... then again, beat equipment is it's own punishment ;)

I started three seasons ago with some ancient (50's or 60's) power built clubs rescued from a dumpster...

2. Clubs that somebody bought and then never really played with... usually a good deal, especially if they just want them gone... this can be really a deal, but not if they are trying to recover 100% of what they paid. Ask them if they will wheel and deal.

3. Cast off clubs from somebody upgrading. lots of wear, but good clubs, usually pretty close to retail value, but maybe negotiable.

4. High end clubs from people like are on this website... usually not much cheeper than used retail.

I've seen brand new clubs that someone won in a contest for 1/2 the list price.

There are some consignment shops that specialize in used golf stuff.

ALSO
For the diving range, or playing a par-3... you usually don't need a complete set!

For a Par-3 usually you can get by with a Putter, a wedge, and a 9 or 7 iron.

My first two sets I got from Junk shops ($10 and $15) missing important clubs. They also usually sell loose drivers, but I have never found one worth keeping, I bought a messed up Viper, just to practice driving, I didn't fee bad beating it on the practice mats, and dirt like I do, my Nike SQ!

If you have never played a par-3 or gone to a driving range, grab a couple $5
thrift store beat clubs and go to town. Or rent them at the par-3. Even if the equipment does you wrong, you will find out if you like it or not...

Everybody is going to jump on me about developing bad habits compensating for bad equipment, and they are probably right...

Here is an example set of clubs... burnsville minnesota, local to me:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/spo/606570492.html
Bag: Broken down junk shop special
Driver: SQatch Lucky 13
Woods: Generic 3 and 5
Hybrid: ... Shopping
Irons: Pi5 3-PWSW: LW: HarmonizedPutter: blade... oldie but goodieBalls: Laddie Extreme

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm going back to school tomorrow and am going to talk to a few of my friends that play and see what they think of the clubs I picked out.

go to your local golf shop and get your swing speed tested also ask the sales people what shaft flex you should be play

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

Can someone suggest a credible website which gives good reviews or compare clubs like PING G10, Callaway Big Bertha, Callaway X20, TaylorMade R7... which one would suit better for high handicap player?

Can someone suggest a credible website which gives good reviews or compare clubs like PING G10, Callaway Big Bertha, Callaway X20, TaylorMade R7... which one would suit better for high handicap player?

www.thesandtrap.com

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I can say I just started playing last year, I was in the same situation that you are. I bought a Knight set from Wal-mart and played with that for most of the year....my opinion for $80 it is your best choice.

Play with those, and once your swing gets more consistent go out and buy a set that will be with you for awhile.

Reason I say this is....I am 6'2 200#...I started with a reg flex shaft, but now that my swing is stronger and more consistent, my swing speed has changed since I started, I am now a stiff flex.

What clubs you play isn't going to matter one bit when you are just starting out....save some cash and get a comfortable pair of shoes.

If you have a golfsmith near you..you might want to check there used stuff

Note: This thread is 5880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!