IGNORED

TST Whoop Group

iacas

• Administrator

Join now: https://join.whoop.com/iacas and save $30 + get a free strap.

whoop-product.png I have and love my Apple Watch, and it does some things really, really well. Particularly, for me, notifications, and a little bit of the gamification of doing things like standing, exerting myself for 30 minutes a day, and (hopefully) surpassing my calorie goal every day. Or at least 15 times a month. 😄

Anyway, after reading about WHOOP for about a year, I've signed up, and I'd like to encourage others to join me. You get a few deals:

• You get a free WHOOP wrist strap (I recommend also getting a L/XL bicep strap and trimming it as needed)
  • You get your first month free when you join.

The WHOOP, unlike the Apple Watch, focuses on and measures three things: strain, sleep, and recovery. It does these things really well. I'm seeing that many people are learning about days they might need more sleep, how alcohol consumption affects their recovery and strain, how much of a workout they can do given their strain and recovery numbers, and so on. It's literally changing the way they live, and doing so with an unobtrusive strap that lasts five days and doesn't require any babysitting.

Learn about the features included in the WHOOP App. Get personalized feedback into your body’s recovery, strain, and sleep in real-time with built in coaching features that help you optimize performance.

By balancing your daily recovery, strain and sleep, you will train optimally and unlock the secrets to your body's true potential.

The WHOOP strap lasts for five days, will store up to 48 hours of data on the device before needing to sync, and is charged by sliding a little battery pack on to the WHOOP strap itself, so you can keep wearing it. It charges the device quickly, and then you can charge the battery pack with an included USB cable whenever you have a moment.

Here's the best way to join: https://join.whoop.com/iacas. Get a free strap and $30 off!

You can also use this QR Code:

image.png

Again: http://join.whoop.com/iacas.

I'll post information about the "Sand Trap Team" after I'm able to set this up. This will let us see a bit about how each of us are doing.

Get a free WHOOP strap and your first month free when you join with my link: > https://join.whoop.com/#/C50556 or target="_blank">https://join.whoop.com/#/CE2C8E

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator

I've set up a "team" so we can all compete against each other. It's called "Sand Trappers" and you can join the group by searching that name or by using the group code: COMM-715C51.

I got my strap yesterday, and started my four-day calibration.

Join me! Let's get healthier and understand our bodies better.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas unlocked this topic
  • Administrator

Anyone who joins will earn a year-long Supporter Membership. This means you'll see fewer ads AND have access to the Locker Room forum.

(edited)

I actually told my wife last night that I was going to trial it, so I am in. Then I get on here this morning and see this....it must be fate...haha. I'm hoping it will help me develop better sleep habits

What's your opinion on the bicep band or upper arm sleeve?  I do crossfit so will one be better than the other in your opinion?

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I already had a Whoop, but I joined the Sand Trappers team. Hope this gets some traction!

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

@iacas do you wear your apple watch too with the whoop or just the whoop? I've been on the fence about one of these for a while now, but I wear my samsung galaxy watch all the time and use it for GPS/shot tracking when I play so I feel like that might be a bit much to have both on the wrist but obviously I would get better data from the whoop.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator
11 hours ago, TN94z said:

I actually told my wife last night that I was going to trial it, so I am in. Then I get on here this morning and see this....it must be fate...haha. I'm hoping it will help me develop better sleep habits

Nice!

11 hours ago, TN94z said:

What's your opinion on the bicep band or upper arm sleeve?  I do crossfit so will one be better than the other in your opinion?

My bicep band arrives Saturday, so I'm going to go with that, though I'll keep the free/included strap of course for the times I'll want to trade it off. But I mostly intend to wear it on the bicep.

I saw the sleeve, and that might be good for more active times where the strap might get "caught" more easily on something, but if you do CrossFit with a shirt on, maybe that's not even really a worry?

9 hours ago, TN94z said:

Ordered

Nice. I see that.

I gave your account a credit in the amount of the Supporter membership since you're already a Supporter, so it should just apply it when you "renew" next September. And if something goofs, we'll have this post as a reminder. But it should work okay.

5 hours ago, klineka said:

@iacas do you wear your apple watch too with the whoop or just the whoop? I've been on the fence about one of these for a while now, but I wear my samsung galaxy watch all the time and use it for GPS/shot tracking when I play so I feel like that might be a bit much to have both on the wrist but obviously I would get better data from the whoop.

I wear the Apple Watch on my left wrist. For now, my Whoop strap is on my right wrist, until Saturday, when I'll move it to my right bicep.

I know of at least one other person who wears it on his other wrist, like I am now. I don't know of anyone who wears both on the same wrist.

I also know some people who wear them on their ankle. Also, the Whoop is waterproof.

• Administrator

I'm "calibrated" now (four days), and moved the strap to my bicep around 3pm today, then played 50 minutes or so of soccer tonight.

I wake up at 6:45 so I'm hopeful to get sleepy here in the next two hours and get to bed by 10:30 or so.

2020-11-06 19.53.12.png

I should receive mine today.

Bryan A

• Administrator

The sleep stuff has been better than I’d have thought.

These are two different nights.

0E09AC06-214F-40EC-8F98-A4380F7DD4EC.png6304D1B2-B885-419E-9DD1-2B15343299DA.png

1 hour ago, iacas said:

The sleep stuff has been better than I’d have thought.

These are two different nights.

I should try it out to see how it compares to my Oura Ring. My Oura Ring says I get a stupid amount of deep sleep, and not that much REM sleep where you actually dream a lot. Which I think is true. I do not remember any dreams, and I always have been a deep sleeper. I slept through a the first minute or two of a fire alarm in college once. My roommate had to wake me up, and he was already getting cloths on to leave the building. 

I am not a big fan of subscriptions. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I am not a big fan of subscriptions. 

You can pay for 18 months, and it's <$300, with the hardware included. I mean, it's still a subscription, but it's no different than buying a new piece of hardware every 18 months or something.

So far this feels worth it, plus you can use it while playing golf, and the battery lasts for days. I set a reminder to charge it every five days, and I'm supposed to charge it today but it's still at 44%. 😛

True, I have to take off my Oura ring when I golf. It is a bit thick for a ring, not that it bothers me normally, but it is annoying when playing golf. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Anyone with a bicep strap have any feedback on wearing it on wrist vs. arm? I'm considering a bicep strap and would be interested to hear thoughts on how it compares. I'm pretty much used to having the strap on my wrist 24/7 but I think I would prefer to have it somewhere else.

-Peter

(edited)
45 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Anyone with a bicep strap have any feedback on wearing it on wrist vs. arm? I'm considering a bicep strap and would be interested to hear thoughts on how it compares. I'm pretty much used to having the strap on my wrist 24/7 but I think I would prefer to have it somewhere else.

I asked a friend of mine about the bicep strap. He used it more than wearing at the wrist because he is a surgeon and couldn't use the wrist area for obvious reasons. What he told me was that the bicep strap works just fine but is not as accurate (he didn't feel like after comparing his numbers) as wearing around the wrist. He also said that if you are wearing around the wrist and move to the bicep strap, that you will have to go through a re-learning process again. So going back and forth between the two isn't as simple as making the swap day to day or movement to movement. This was obviously just his opinion, but it carries some good weight with me because he gets obsessed with numbers and making sure things are pretty accurate.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I switched after four days (my bicep strap was delayed) and likely won’t go back. My left wrist is for my Apple Watch. With the bicep strap almost nobody even knows it’s there. It’s more comfortable for sleeping, long sleeve shirts, etc.

I’m aware that it supposedly might need recalibration but whatever. I’m just rolling with it. After 30 days it’s recalibrated anyway.

But yeah, don’t switch back and forth I’ve heard.

Thanks @iacas and @TN94zI just ordered a bicep strap.

I don't plan to switch back and forth from bicep to wrist, so recalibration isn't a big deal. The main reasons I am considering switching to bicep is comfort (especially sleeping) and convenience. Even though the Whoop itself is waterproof, I find it annoying to have a wet strap around my wrist after getting splashed washing hands/dishes/whatever.

Secondarily, when I am actually onsite for work instead of working from home, I do quite a lot of work in a cleanroom environment where watches are not allowed, but the bicep strap can be tucked inside my undershirt below all the gowning layers.

Edited by Darkfrog

-Peter