IGNORED

Wrist at Impact

Note: This thread is 1266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys. Love reading stuff here and I’ve caught the bug. Been busy coaching this fall so I haven’t had a chance to play but hoping to hit low 90s this spring or so.

So we’ve already established that “feel isn’t real” but I wanted to describe a feel and get some more experienced peoples thoughts. 

I recently purchased new Srixon 785 irons that are 3/4th an inch longer. I had trouble with flipping so I learned to bow my wrist at the top and at impact. As I’d keep my wrist bowed I’d top the crap out of the ball. 

I’ve adjusted now and the only way I can get  solid contact with the ball is if it feels like I’m cupped at the top and the bottom. I’d guess I’m flat at top and impact but I don’t understand why my arc shorter when I’m more bowed at the top and at impact.

Any thoughts?

• iacas changed the title to Wrist at Impact
  • Administrator

Feel ain't real, so I'm likely to think that your best bet here is a Member Swing topic.

Cupped at the ball can work if you have a strong grip or something else allows it, but generally it's not all that great. Many who are arched at the top will cup on the way down, and vice versa.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah I’ll try to post a video on Saturday. We have a game tomorrow so I won’t get to swing until after midnight.

My grip is neutral to weak. Pretty close to Ben Hogan’s grip by the left hand is more in the fingers. It just doesn’t really make sense to me that I’m topping the ball with a bowed wrist where as when my wrist is more flat or even cupped somewhat. 

i feel like I’ve got to be very conscious to not let my wrist bow on the way down and jerk the Handle without being the club head and then at the bottom it’s feels cupped but I don’t believe it is.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, BallCoach702 said:

Yeah I’ll try to post a video on Saturday. We have a game tomorrow so I won’t get to swing until after midnight.

My grip is neutral to weak. Pretty close to Ben Hogan’s grip by the left hand is more in the fingers. It just doesn’t really make sense to me that I’m topping the ball with a bowed wrist where as when my wrist is more flat or even cupped somewhat. 

i feel like I’ve got to be very conscious to not let my wrist bow on the way down and jerk the Handle without being the club head and then at the bottom it’s feels cupped but I don’t believe it is.

If you're a 35 (or anything north of a 20), I'd be surprised if you were arching your wrists and that was causing the thin or topped shots.

Just mind the camera angles on the videos, and try to get them in slow motion if possible.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

If you're a 35 (or anything north of a 20), I'd be surprised if you were arching your wrists and that was causing the thin or topped shots.

Just mind the camera angles on the videos, and try to get them in slow motion if possible.

what do you mean “If you’re a 35”? 

okay, do my best to get some quality videos.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, BallCoach702 said:

what do you mean “If you’re a 35”? 

Your handicap is listed as "35".

Oh yeah, I usually shoot around a 100. Didn’t play much this year and tried to build more consistent fundamentals. Got some lessons and got fitted. Studied the swing a lot. i haven’t played since August so that’s probably night right... hopefully not anyways. 😂

None of us strike the golf ball with our wrists.  Our wrists are in the chain, certainly, but they are but one of many links.  While it is sometimes important to focus on one link in the chain...we do not want to miss the forest for the trees.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

(edited)
On 11/6/2020 at 12:15 AM, Piz said:

None of us strike the golf ball with our wrists.  Our wrists are in the chain, certainly, but they are but one of many links.  While it is sometimes important to focus on one link in the chain...we do not want to miss the forest for the trees.

I completely understand what your saying.

I’ve tried to upload a video but I can’t get the clip download without going through YouTube and it’s on my phone. Attaché is a clip of where my wrist was right before impact. Obviously it’s bowed slightly. I had no swing thoughts on this swing other than swing inside out in my path. 

what I was saying in the OP was that I felt as if I could not bow the wrist or I’d end up tipping the ball and I had feel that I was cupping my wrist. So I suppose I had an excessive bow at this point when the feel was that I was cupping.

i am thinking that because my wrist was more bowed I need to place the ball more forward in order to reach the bottom of my divot?

If I want to play the ball more towards the middle I would need to flatten my wrist more here in this particular position?

Thoughts anyone?

30C7206A-E026-4916-9F6D-E6CEB74FDF96.png

Edited by BallCoach702

26 minutes ago, BallCoach702 said:

I completely understand what your saying.

I’ve tried to upload a video but I can’t get the clip download without going through YouTube and it’s on my phone. Attaché is a clip of where my wrist was right before impact. Obviously it’s bowed slightly. I had no swing thoughts on this swing other than swing inside out in my path. 

what I was saying in the OP was that I felt as if I could not bow the wrist or I’d end up tipping the ball and I had feel that I was cupping my wrist. So I suppose I had an excessive bow at this point when the feel was that I was cupping.

i am thinking that because my wrist was more bowed I need to place the ball more forward in order to reach the bottom of my divot?

If I want to play the ball more towards the middle I would need to flatten my wrist more here in this particular position?

Thoughts anyone?

Upload the video to YouTube and paste the link in a My Swing thread. That being said, that is a pretty good impact position. What issues are you seeing? I would not change your wrist at all. Moving the ball forward would launch higher.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Upload the video to YouTube and paste the link in a My Swing thread. That being said, that is a pretty good impact position. What issues are you seeing? I would not change your wrist at all. Moving the ball forward would launch higher.

Thank you!

overall, I’m trying to get more consistent with my backswing which I’m accomplishing. Just need more reps and time doing the same thing and carry the same moves throughout my bag. 

In my downswing, I have a tendency to come over the top and I’m working on that. Kind of close to having a neutral angle of attack. 

When I take a few days off I’ll go back to practice and I’ll hit everything off the leading edge and I have a hard time getting the ball in the air. Then I try to create that feel that I’m cupping the wrist and i start grooving but’s it’s weird Bc I don’t feel like anything is changing in my backswing, transition, or downswing other than my wrist at impact.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, BallCoach702 said:

How far are you standing from that ball?

Post a video in your Member Swing topic. (i.e. start one)

A "position" is one thing. We need to see how you got there.

Note: This thread is 1266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!