IGNORED

Is There Such a Thing as Very Casual Golf?

dezaad
Note: This thread is 1221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all.  I have always been a bit interested in golf, but have not played even once (except for 'miniature' which likely doesn't count).  If this is the proper forum to ask, I think I am just curious about one thing.  If my friend and I both are very casual about playing and it is just us two who are playing together, can we 'hit it 'til we are happy' without a breach of etiquette to other people on the course at the time we're playing?  This is, as long as we study and practice every other courtesy?

The reason I ask is that I am moving to a neighborhood where a golf course is sort of built in, and I would like to enjoy the attempt to hit a little tiny ball into a little tiny hole that I can't even see from my starting point.  Along with the fresh air, beautiful surroundings, and a vigorous walk.  I will take some lessons before starting, so I won't be a complete embarrassment.  And I will want to improve over time, but I doubt I will ever be exceedingly serious about it.

Please don't be too hard on me :) 

• iacas changed the title to Is There Such a Thing as Very Casual Golf?
56 minutes ago, dezaad said:

Hello all.  I have always been a bit interested in golf, but have not played even once (except for 'miniature' which likely doesn't count).  If this is the proper forum to ask, I think I am just curious about one thing.  If my friend and I both are very casual about playing and it is just us two who are playing together, can we 'hit it 'til we are happy' without a breach of etiquette to other people on the course at the time we're playing?  This is, as long as we study and practice every other courtesy?

The reason I ask is that I am moving to a neighborhood where a golf course is sort of built in, and I would like to enjoy the attempt to hit a little tiny ball into a little tiny hole that I can't even see from my starting point.  Along with the fresh air, beautiful surroundings, and a vigorous walk.  I will take some lessons before starting, so I won't be a complete embarrassment.  And I will want to improve over time, but I doubt I will ever be exceedingly serious about it.

Please don't be too hard on me 🙂

Unless you’re alone on the course, most will consider it a huge breach of etiquette for unnecessarily holding up the groups behind you because you are hitting 2-3 balls per shot. Having said that, when out by myself, I will play 2 balls from time to time, but never at the expense of others’ pace of play. Generally, the expectation is for a group’s pace of play to fall somewhere between 4-4.5 hours. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@dezaad, Welcome to TST.   We're glad you've joined.   Most people won't care how you play as long as you follow course etiquette and don't play slow.    Slow play is possibly the number one irritant of most golfers.   If you want to attempt to hit a little tiny ball into a little tiny hole that you can't even see from my starting point, enjoy it.   Just be mindful of others and their pace of play.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

13 hours ago, dennyjones said:

@dezaad, Welcome to TST.   We're glad you've joined.   Most people won't care how you play as long as you follow course etiquette and don't play slow.    Slow play is possibly the number one irritant of most golfers.   If you want to attempt to hit a little tiny ball into a little tiny hole that you can't even see from my starting point, enjoy it.   Just be mindful of others and their pace of play.

Hey, I appreciate the answer.  That is one of the few things I did know about golf etiquette is that slow players irritate the ones coming behind them.  I will surely be mindful of it.  Maybe I will just move my ball to the green if I feel like we are falling too far behind and in danger of getting in the way :)  At least until I do get better.

14 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Unless you’re alone on the course, most will consider it a huge breach of etiquette for unnecessarily holding up the groups behind you because you are hitting 2-3 balls per shot. Having said that, when out by myself, I will play 2 balls from time to time, but never at the expense of others’ pace of play. Generally, the expectation is for a group’s pace of play to fall somewhere between 4-4.5 hours. 

Ahh, I think I didn't understand the lingo I used.  I didn't really mean to say we would be playing many balls.  But, I can see how my idea would slow me down just the same.  I just found the rule on the maximum number of strokes for a hole.  So, I think that settles my worry.  I'll just play until I hit that max and take whatever score the rules say.  If there is still time, I might keep trying to practice, otherwise I'll move along with haste.

I think I need to read more of the rules so that I can ask my questions better.  I was under the impression you played a hole until the ball miraculously goes in 🙂

Edited by dezaad

27 minutes ago, dezaad said:

Ahh, I think I didn't understand the lingo I used.  I didn't really mean to say we would be playing many balls.  But, I can see how my idea would slow me down just the same.  I just found the rule on the maximum number of strokes for a hole.  So, I think that settles my worry.  I'll just play until I hit that max and take whatever score the rules say.  If there is still time, I might keep trying to practice, otherwise I'll move along with haste.

I think I need to read more of the rules so that I can ask my questions better.  I was under the impression you played a hole until the ball miraculously goes in 🙂

To the point @dennyjones was making, most people won’t care how you play or how good you are as long as you take care of the course and don’t hold them up. Just have fun with it 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

If at all possible try to find an experienced player to go with you on your first round. There are particular situations that they'll know how to handle that might not be obvious to someone playing the first time even if they have read up on etiquette.

I like the general idea of picking up at spots to keep up with the pace of play. The business of counting every stroke is something you'll get to soon enough. For now, developing the swing, having fun and hopefully hitting some shots is the important thing. Even beginners will get at least a few of those balls in the hole, but don't be married to the idea early on.

Another thought is trying to pick a shorter, easier course for you first few outings and playing at less busy times. When my buddy got me started, he ran me through some very difficult courses and that was pretty frustrating for me. Somehow I kept at it anyway.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Another thought is trying to pick a shorter, easier course for you first few outings and playing at less busy times. When my buddy got me started, he ran me through some very difficult courses and that was pretty frustrating for me. Somehow I kept at it anyway.

@dezaad, in this same vein, check to see if there are any Par 3 courses in your area. Aside from the driving range to start making solid contact, they are great places to start for beginners.

-Jonny

1 hour ago, dezaad said:

Some people do, and that is truly playing by the rules. The maximum score rules are generally for handicapping, or perhaps a "rule" posted on the scorecard of the particular course you are playing. I typically play every hole to completion in my rounds, but I am a fairly fast golfer. I have scored 10+ on holes that I have played in less than 10 minutes.

The whole slow play thing is my main gripe with golfing (especially on weekends). I've got two quotes that I use to describe it:

"If you are going to suck, suck fast"

"Not all bad golfers are slow golfers, but all slow golfers are bad golfers"

Learning proper pace of play stuff is something that many golfers never do, and it only takes 1 group somewhere in front on the golf course to ruin 35 other groups' rounds.

If you can find someone, or perhaps many individuals, to show you the ropes, you should be just find. I mention "many individuals" because some people are great at teaching some things, but may leave out others. I'll leave you with my 3 main pieces of advice:

1. Take care of the course. This includes replacing divots, repairing ball marks, raking sand (pre Covid but will return eventually), and keeping golf carts in the appropriate areas (nowhere near greens unless on the cart path, 90 degree rule if called for, etc.), etc.

2. Be mindful of others. PoP, noise, movement (don't fidget on the green while someone else is trying to putt), yelling fore when you hit a shot toward others, etc.

3. Have fun. The 2 are more important to everyone else, but if you don't have fun, you won't last long with this game. Your mood can also affect others in your group (or near by groups even if you are yelling). Take your bad breaks/shots with a laugh, and your great shots with (quiet) elation.

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

On 12/19/2020 at 8:32 PM, dezaad said:

Please don't be too hard on me 🙂

Many others have chimed in well on your question. I'll add two things. 

1 - Just explain that you are new and most people will give you a pass. So, if somebody comes charging up to you with anger in their eyes (which even happens sometimes to those of us who've been playing for 3 decades.) just be quick to apologize and explain that you are new to the game. Thank them for pointing out your etiquette infraction and let them know you will try to avoid doing that again. That nearly always defuses the situation. 

2 - Remember that golfers, like all other humans, are imperfect. At some point or another you may encounter somebody who reads you the riot act even when you've done nothing wrong. Or possibly something wrong but undeserving of the tongue lashing they deliver. Remember that some people (even golfers) choose to be unhappy. If you encounter one of those people on the course (we all have) don't worry about it. Most of us golfers are actually great folks who want you to like the game and want you to succeed. 

Welcome to the forum. Welcome to the game. In my opinion there's no greater game. I for one am always happy to get more people playing. Really, the only thing golfers universally ask for out of other golfer is to keep pace. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

21 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

If at all possible try to find an experienced player to go with you on your first round. There are particular situations that they'll know how to handle that might not be obvious to someone playing the first time even if they have read up on etiquette.

I like the general idea of picking up at spots to keep up with the pace of play. The business of counting every stroke is something you'll get to soon enough. For now, developing the swing, having fun and hopefully hitting some shots is the important thing. Even beginners will get at least a few of those balls in the hole, but don't be married to the idea early on.

I've been reading more about it, and a bit more about the course I'll be living by.  Perhaps I will meet people in the new neighborhood who are interested in teaching.  If not, I will take some lessons for a while.  The friend I intend on playing with played a little bit many years ago, but would also need some lessons again.

The course in the neighborhood is a bit more on the difficult side, but there are some other courses nearby - so I will check into their relative difficulty.  Thanks for the ideas :)

21 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

@dezaad, in this same vein, check to see if there are any Par 3 courses in your area. Aside from the driving range to start making solid contact, they are great places to start for beginners.

I will check into it :)

4 minutes ago, dezaad said:

The course in the neighborhood is a bit more on the difficult side, 

Never be afraid to move to the forward tees. People call them ladies tees or senior tees. They are, however, a good place to start from when learning. Usually it will make a course a lot less daunting. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

20 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Some people do, and that is truly playing by the rules. The maximum score rules are generally for handicapping, or perhaps a "rule" posted on the scorecard of the particular course you are playing. I typically play every hole to completion in my rounds, but I am a fairly fast golfer. I have scored 10+ on holes that I have played in less than 10 minutes.

The whole slow play thing is my main gripe with golfing (especially on weekends). I've got two quotes that I use to describe it:

"If you are going to suck, suck fast"

"Not all bad golfers are slow golfers, but all slow golfers are bad golfers"

Learning proper pace of play stuff is something that many golfers never do, and it only takes 1 group somewhere in front on the golf course to ruin 35 other groups' rounds.

If you can find someone, or perhaps many individuals, to show you the ropes, you should be just find. I mention "many individuals" because some people are great at teaching some things, but may leave out others. I'll leave you with my 3 main pieces of advice:

1. Take care of the course. This includes replacing divots, repairing ball marks, raking sand (pre Covid but will return eventually), and keeping golf carts in the appropriate areas (nowhere near greens unless on the cart path, 90 degree rule if called for, etc.), etc.

2. Be mindful of others. PoP, noise, movement (don't fidget on the green while someone else is trying to putt), yelling fore when you hit a shot toward others, etc.

3. Have fun. The 2 are more important to everyone else, but if you don't have fun, you won't last long with this game. Your mood can also affect others in your group (or near by groups even if you are yelling). Take your bad breaks/shots with a laugh, and your great shots with (quiet) elation.

Thanks for all the info!!  It helps me get a feel for what is expected and what can be done to meet it.  And I definitely want this to be fun.  It should be fun, right?  You're doing something interesting and challenging in a beautiful environment and outside. 

7 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Never be afraid to move to the forward tees. People call them ladies tees or senior tees. They are, however, a good place to start from when learning. Usually it will make a course a lot less daunting. 

Ah, yes.  I recall now one of my clients from years ago explaining the different tees to me.  That will certainly be helpful for me to keep pace and have more fun :)  I'm sure people who see me doing it will be able to spot soon enough that I am a beginner.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 1221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!