IGNORED

I Like to Throw the Club at the Ball - How to Be More Consistent?

Note: This thread is 1162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I suffer a two way miss like push fades and pull draws. I know it's a timing issue since I throw the club at the ball at impact. For the life of me I don't know how else to hit it. But I'd like to keep my way of throwing the club at the ball but to be more consistent. If it's even possible.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

If there's anything I've learned over the years of playing golf it's that what a player (me or anyone else) thinks they are doing isn't likely to be what they are actually doing. 

When you say "throw the club at the ball" that gives you a very clear picture in your mind of you swing. But for the rest of us it may or may not mean all that much. I assume of course you aren't literally "throwing the club at the ball". 

My best suggestion is to start a "My swing" thread. Add some video and then there will be a myriad of folks on this forum who will be likely to help you. One thing you are likely to find out is that you are probably more consistent than you think you are. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, GTA Golf Pro said:

I suffer a two way miss like push fades and pull draws. I know it's a timing issue since I throw the club at the ball at impact. For the life of me I don't know how else to hit it. But I'd like to keep my way of throwing the club at the ball but to be more consistent. If it's even possible.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Of course @ChetlovesMer is right, posting some videos of yourself would be helpful.  But what I'm reading here is that you don't really want to change your swing, you just want better results.  Unfortunately, some type of change is almost certainly going to be necessary.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

Of course @ChetlovesMer is right, 

Hey Dave, would you mind telling my wife that.

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

Unfortunately, some type of change is almost certainly going to be necessary.

Dave is correct as well. One easy thing you can do in lieu of wholesale changes that can quickly help with consistency is to be absolutely certain your set-up is consistent. This is an area I've never been good at. My set up varies and I don't have a pre-shot routine. Having said that, however, many golfers report great gains in consistency simply be confirming they set up to the ball very consistently and follow the same pre-shot routine. Some even take it to the point of timing their pre-shot routine and keeping it consistent down to the second. 

Again, without seeing your swing we won't know what's causing your inconsistencies. But my experience is that people "swing" more consistently than they think they do. So set up can be a great place to start. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

12 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Hey Dave, would you mind telling my wife that.

Dave is correct as well. One easy thing you can do in lieu of wholesale changes that can quickly help with consistency is to be absolutely certain your set-up is consistent. This is an area I've never been good at. My set up varies and I don't have a pre-shot routine. Having said that, however, many golfers report great gains in consistency simply be confirming they set up to the ball very consistently and follow the same pre-shot routine. Some even take it to the point of timing their pre-shot routine and keeping it consistent down to the second. 

Again, without seeing your swing we won't know what's causing your inconsistencies. But my experience is that people "swing" more consistently than they think they do. So set up can be a great place to start. 

This is great advice. I've always been inconsistent and sloppy with my set-up and pre-shot routine especially under pressure. And the results usually speaks for itself.

Will keep this in mind on my next round. Thanks so much!

• iacas changed the title to I Like to Throw the Club at the Ball - How to Be More Consistent?
  • Administrator

If you feel you're "throwing" you're probably "flipping" which is going to lead to the shots that you mentioned in the first post.

You probably don't get your weight forward or rotate through properly. Good video would confirm that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 1/6/2021 at 9:42 AM, iacas said:

If you feel you're "throwing" you're probably "flipping" which is going to lead to the shots that you mentioned in the first post.

You probably don't get your weight forward or rotate through properly. Good video would confirm that.

Yes, you're spot on with my flipping the club. If early a pull if late a push. 

Will work on being conscious of getting my weight forward and getting my hips more rotated towards the target before firing my hands. One thing I got going for me is I never goat hump. One of the thing I used to be obsess about is keeping my posture through impact. Now I just gotta find a way to get rid of this damn flippy release.

Thanks so much sir. Will work on it diligently and film my swing when I get the chance.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, GTA Golf Pro said:

Will work on being conscious of getting my weight forward and getting my hips more rotated towards the target before firing my hands. One thing I got going for me is I never goat hump. One of the thing I used to be obsess about is keeping my posture through impact. Now I just gotta find a way to get rid of this damn flippy release.

Your hips might be going too early right now, and you might flip to try to get the clubhead down to the ground before even worse things happen.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 9:31 AM, iacas said:

Your hips might be going too early right now, and you might flip to try to get the clubhead down to the ground before even worse things happen.

Very possible. I usually play well when I "feel" like I rotate everything towards the target at the same time.

Note: This thread is 1162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!