IGNORED

Club Takeaway

Note: This thread is 1159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was watching chipping technique by Padrig Harrington on you tube.  He says to put an alignment rod about six inches behind the ball.  On takeaway and striking the ball you shouldn't  hit the stick.  I feel like I drag the club too much on regular shots.  Would this be the same on regular iron shots and chipping.  Should I not hit the stick?

Different types of takeaways exist. Some pick the club up sooner than others. I don't think you'd want to drag the club back 6 inches and have it still stay in contact with the ground. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd also suggest that instead of an alignment stick, use a towel.   If you are coming in that shallow it's easier on the ears and clubs to hit the towel instead of an alignment stick.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I will try the towel method also.  I have just always had trouble hitting ball first. I got to watching videos and came up with the drill of putting something behind the ball.  I can chip pretty well without hitting the alignment rod ( while in the house chipping I use a pencil) but on a full swing I have problems.  I think I am bringing the club back to low.  Only problem is I have probably been doing this forever and I know it would or will be hard to change.  Still love to try though.

4 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I'd also suggest that instead of an alignment stick, use a towel.   If you are coming in that shallow it's easier on the ears and clubs to hit the towel instead of an alignment stick.  

If I put anything on the ground remotely near the ball....I swear I’m gonna nail it every time....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!