IGNORED

What Are You Listening To?

Ceej

Benn trying to find some good new rock music and it is a little like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Found this but it is a few years old now and got zero airplay in my area.

Edited by Grumpter
Video not showing up

9 hours ago, Grumpter said:

Benn trying to find some good new rock music and it is a little like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Found this but it is a few years old now and got zero airplay in my area.

That was cool, kind of reminiscent of The Kinks, but a few recent bands have already recycled that raw unadulterated retro sound, like Jet.

You're right Grump, good new rock is hard to find. I watch Guitar Center Sessions religiously, and they regularly showcase modern bands, but their sound tends to be too 'Indie' and artsy for me. Kind of like they are trying too hard to be the new REM or something. One big thing I have noticed is the disappearance of the hard dominant guitar. Driving guitar lines, dual guitars, intricate mind blowing guitar leads. There are no new Brian Mays or David Gilmores or Jerry Cantrels or Tommy Morellos...

That's why these days I tend to listen to (and see live) the latest reincarnations of the past greats. I like the new Alice in Chains, Slash and Miles Kennedy is incredible, Chester Bennigton with STP sounds awesome IMO, and of course there is always the venerable Pearl Jam. Heck, I even watched the rebirth of Jeff Lynn and ELO in concert and they were great... 

dak4n6

10 hours ago, dak4n6 said:

That was cool, kind of reminiscent of The Kinks, but a few recent bands have already recycled that raw unadulterated retro sound, like Jet.

You're right Grump, good new rock is hard to find. I watch Guitar Center Sessions religiously, and they regularly showcase modern bands, but their sound tends to be too 'Indie' and artsy for me. Kind of like they are trying too hard to be the new REM or something. One big thing I have noticed is the disappearance of the hard dominant guitar. Driving guitar lines, dual guitars, intricate mind blowing guitar leads. There are no new Brian Mays or David Gilmores or Jerry Cantrels or Tommy Morellos...

That's why these days I tend to listen to (and see live) the latest reincarnations of the past greats. I like the new Alice in Chains, Slash and Miles Kennedy is incredible, Chester Bennigton with STP sounds awesome IMO, and of course there is always the venerable Pearl Jam. Heck, I even watched the rebirth of Jeff Lynn and ELO in concert and they were great... 

I have been going back to old favorites that I listened to in college for a little bit of a fix. Would love to find some newer music in a similar vain but am having trouble there. For my guitar fix I always seem to fall back to Satriani.

How great is David Bowie? This (see below) is how great he is. I remember having to go out of the way to find bootlegs of stuff like this. Now it's you think it and there it is.

Lou Reed & Davie Bowie - Dirty Boulevard - So cool hearing Bowie speak Reed's lyrics 

Lou Reed & Davie Bowie - Queen Bitch

Bowie & Cher - Everything from Neil Diamond to the Beatles to Rodgers & Hart.

With Bing Crosby

With Nine Inch Nails

Nat King Cole's Nature boy, Bowie and Massive Attack. How cool is that?

With Arcade Fire

David Gilmour

Tin Machine  covering The Pixies - HOW ****ING COOL IS THIS!!!!

Bowie with Frank Black - Fashion

Bowie covering The Pixies' Cactus

And the scary thing is I missed a lot of collaborations, Moby, Tina Turner, Luther Vandross, the list goes on.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/11/2016 at 11:36 PM, tristanhilton85 said:

I listened to a bunch of those right now. That guy is pretty good.

Yea, definitely some really solid covers there. 

Willie Bobo -- Fried Neck Bones and Some Home Fries

Constantine

18 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Yea, definitely some really solid covers there. 

Willie Bobo -- Fried Neck Bones and Some Home Fries

4 chords repeated over and over and one sentence repeated over and over...

Sounds like something me and my buddies slapped together many times in the past, after many beers and spleefs...

dak4n6

1 hour ago, dak4n6 said:

4 chords repeated over and over and one sentence repeated over and over...

Sounds like something me and my buddies slapped together many times in the past, after many beers and spleefs...

Hahaha. Definitely. 

I like it though haha :-D

Constantine

Funny how songs you haven't thought about in years pop up in your mind. This was on Canadian airwaves a lot in its time. The Box - Closer Together. Is there still a 30% mandatory Canadian artists content on Canadian radio?

Mary Margaret O'Hara - Body's in Trouble

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quizás, quizás, quizás - Nat King Cole

Nat King Cole - Te Quiero Dijiste

Nat King Cole - Perfidia

T-Bone Walker - Don't Leave Me Baby

T-Bone Walker - Goin' to Chicago

Steve

One of the best bands you never heard of (actually some may have but they released this album under a different name after the record company would not agree to a doubleLP):

Iggy Pop - the guy to the right of him (stage left) is a member of the band that was in the Paris attacks.

Iggy Pop + a little B-52's

Steve

Guess who's the woman in the picture.

Spoiler

SWEhkCq.jpg

Steve

30 minutes ago, dak4n6 said:

Annie Lennox is awesome. Is that Dave whats-his-name with her?

No, here's the backstory

Steve

46 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

No, here's the backstory

Most Reddit content is hard to understand. Too many trying too hard to be underhanded/obscure/sarcastic/obtuse/knowledgeable/avant-gard (what....on an internet forum?). 

So, I still could not determine who the guy is?

dak4n6