IGNORED

How to make Augusta more Challenging?

under_par
Note: This thread is 5869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree that the bunkers are a good way to toughen things up. They're no longer in play because of technology changing the way the course was originally intended to be played. That and maybe move the tees back on a couple of the par 3's (Not the 4th though, that's a monster)

Augusta is such a sacred spot to golfers around the world, I dare say we be careful in what we wish for. Just because the guys sometimes go low doesn't take away from the challenge that Augusta offers. I'd say the fact that the best golfers in the world are here playing each other, on the same course, is plenty challenging enough. When this course is dry and the wind gets going, there aren't many around that can stack up to it. At some point, I think we have to consider putting a limit on the technology, it's getting out of hand.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Augusta is such a sacred spot to golfers around the world, I dare say we be careful in what we wish for. Just because the guys sometimes go low doesn't take away from the challenge that Augusta offers. I'd say the fact that the best golfers in the world are here playing each other, on the same course, is plenty challenging enough. When this course is dry and the wind gets going, there aren't many around that can stack up to it. At some point, I think we have to consider putting a limit on the technology, it's getting out of hand.

I agree with you about how hard Augusta is and you have a valid point about technology--but can we please give credit to how good these guys are--and talk less about technology--those guys on tour never cease to amaze me in their skill level

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I totally understand what you are saying about Augusta being a sacred spot for golfers and I think that is what the problem is. It seems that when anyone suggests changing the course it is met with complete apprehension. After Tigers 97 win they knew they had to lengthen the course, then they added rough for the first time, now it's the greens that are the great equalizer. I feel that the Augusta mystique is as much apart of the Masters as the course is. Don't get me wrong, that's what we love about it...but when you hear players say that TPC Sawgrass is consistently the toughest course on the schedule (not including the other 3 majors because those courses change year to year) not to mention that the Players is clearly the best field of any tourney, it just makes me question whether or not Augusta is resting on it's laurels so to speak.

Let me ask this...Of any of the Majors (including the Players which I consider a Major) which of the courses do you think you could play the best on? My game is just OK and I think I might have the best chance at Augusta because of the lack of DEEP rough, wind isn't "usually" a problem, it's the greens that cause migranes. The other majors have deep rough. LONG holes and fast greens. Add the wind and cold plus other elements to the British...I think I would take Augusta....

I think it is a shame that of late in america the only solution appears to be "lets lengthen the course!", for example, a 280 yd par 3 last year at oakmont, RIDICULOUS! I dont think augusta needs changing at all, only when everyone starts shooting consistent 68's will it need changing.

You only have to lookat the some of the british open courses to relise that the course does not have to play long to play hard!

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

Any changes to be made or that have been made to Augusta National are an insult to Bobby Jones.
He wanted the course just for his tournament and he wanted it laid out for his friends to show their shotmaking abilities.

IMHO, they have already pretty much ruined the 17th.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

To make Augusta more difficult, they could thicken and lengthen the rough and add more trees (thus narrowing the fairway). It is much more difficult to hit the ball below tree branches from thick rough or to curve it around those same trees. Its become a bombers course much more than in the Faldo days which makes Zach Johnson's victory last year even more amazing to me (no par-5s in two). But personally, I hope they leave it alone unless the guys start tearing it apart again. Augusta is so unique. And magical.
As for the TPC Sawgrass vs Augusta difficulty issue, I've never played Augusta (even in the benign slow-green "off-season" ) so I'm not qualified to make a judgement but I have played the TPC Sawgrass in tournaments twice. The greens were running at about 11; much slower that at the Players and the rough was about 3.5 inches. You have to use a lot of 3 woods off the tees because if you get off the beaten track, you are in serious trouble. There are moguls around the greens and you end up with weird stances in deep, thick rough pitching to sloping, elevated greens. It can be difficult to shoot even a decent score if you're a little off. At Augusta the premium isn't of being particularly straight but the greens are so difficult. I've been told if you don't know your way around,you could 3-putt 6 or 7 greens. which one's tougher? Depends on your style of play.

Author of "Striking It Rich: Golf in the Kingdom with Generals, Patients and Pros"
www.reidsheftall.com

You could cut the rough and extend the straw.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Tiger proofing Augusta plays in to his hands and those of his length.

Just cut the greens very tight and cut the pins close to trouble spots. A few more trees and maybe an extra bunker here and there. The course is the same for everybody and the lowest score wins!

Theres a saying that applies to Augusta, " If it aint broke ,dont fix it"
Why would you guys want to mess with one of the best courses in the world.

ps.There is no such thing as the British open.In future would you call it by the correct name that being THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

I enjoy the U.S. Open because it's tough for guys to shoot rounds under par. The Masters, however, is different for good reason. It's tough enough that a bunch of guys aren't consistently finishing at -10 or better, but it's playable enough to have low rounds on occasion. The course has been changed far too much in recent years, and it doesn't need any changes for quite some time. I don't see the scores changing much over the next decade or so at the very least. As long as the greens stay as tough as they are now, the scoring will never get too out of hand.

Im with anyone who's happy with the course as it is. You know its not like any other course thats difficult because of its history. Personally i like it because it can show its teeth based on weather conditions. If its windy and rainy... Alot of the shorter hitters are taken out of it. If its dry and hot.. you've got to have the short game, feel and putting to handle it. Of course, that is why it suits guys like Phil and Tiger who have both length and feel at their finger tips.

Personally i like seeing it play between 0-10 under.. but i dont mind seeing it get in to the mid-high teens eithers.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

• Administrator
Theres a saying that applies to Augusta, " If it aint broke ,dont fix it"

They thought it was broken. It's their course and they thought it required fixing, so they changed things.

ps.There is no such thing as the British open.In future would you call it by the correct name that being THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP

Nah, you won't win that discussion and I suggest you just drop it. It's not only off-topic, it's silly to try to enforce a name even most of the players don't use.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

also, shave the fringes down on 13, 15 and 16 so that that ball rolls in to the water- in previous years balls have been saved by the 'rough'. Its time to be more penal!

Basher, you have to remember Tiger putting the ball into the water on 13. I think that's pretty much shaved. Respectfully, Gary "Bikini Wax" McCord

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I did really enjoy last year though because of the cold and wind resulting in a +1 finish. I personally find the best players playing the toughest courses fun to watch because it IS a Major.

Me too. Weather really made Augusta tough, however I think that they should leave it as is until someone wins with -18 like Tiger did in 97. I am serious--make that a guidepost. Then bring in the high-lipped fairway bunkers.

I agree with you about how hard Augusta is and you have a valid point about technology--but can we please give credit to how good these guys are--and talk less about technology--those guys on tour never cease to amaze me in their skill level

Oh, I'll give credit to them alright. They are absolutely incredible.

I have some friends that played the mini-tours down there, and they flat out tell me that those guys hit it more pure than you and I will ever know. And I hit a pretty nice golf ball. I recently started playing some golf courses from the "tips." Usually, my playing partners of years past would prefer the regular mens tees, but I've found some new partners. Playing from the tips in Houston has shown me what a difference there is in difficulty. Whereas I could normally shoot 82 on an average day, I'll struggle to 86 or 88 now from the tips on a real course. I think most people don't realize that a 76 from the men's tees on an average course is like an 84 on a REAL Course. Yeah, these guys are good.

In my bag:

2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

You only have to lookat the some of the british open courses to relise that the course does not have to play long to play hard!

The obvious answer to that point is the weather. The British is tough because of inclement weather, and you cannot replicate that. Pebble Beach is one example of a course in the States that has such an element. The par 3 6th or 7th hole is one where Jack says he has hit anywhere from an easy SW to a hard 4-iron. There is THAT much wind coming off the Pacific.

It's not like the Brits have done anything design wise that we can emulate.

In my bag:

The main difference in my view between Britsh and a US courses is that most US courses have been 'manufactured', which is not necessarily a bad thing. Look at St Andrews in the UK, the lumps and bumps etc were there long before a course was placed there. Weve got American type courses in the UK, with places like St Pierre etc.

But, with the Masters, the lowest score wins, so its a question of who can exploit it the most and get it in the hole in the fewest...lol!

The main difference in my view between Britsh and a US courses is that most US courses have been 'manufactured', which is not necessarily a bad thing. Look at St Andrews in the UK, the lumps and bumps etc were there long before a course was placed there. Weve got American type courses in the UK, with places like St Pierre etc.

"Manufactured" is about right. Looks at the amount of pesticides and fertilizer that go on a US course versus UK. Somewhere, someone decided everything had to be a shade of green and perfectly manicured. And the friggen 30 handicaps bitch about greens not being a 10 on the stimp meter.

In my bag:

360 10.5 44.5 Prolaunch
300 Tour 15 EI-70
V-Steel 21 (POS!, bye bye) TA-7 Tour 4-PW 56 & 60 588's Anser 2 Laddie (Why??)Mini bottles of Jim Beam...Oops.

Note: This thread is 5869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!