IGNORED

Titleist DCI

• iacas changed the title to Titleist DCI

Those are I believe 1993 DCI GOLD irons that came out with the black triangle version as well. They didn’t have a number associated with them like the 962, 762 for example.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...
On 4/16/2021 at 9:44 PM, Vinsk said:

Those are I believe 1993 DCI GOLD irons that came out with the black triangle version as well. They didn’t have a number associated with them like the 962, 762 for example.

I think you're right. I own a set of those and still play them

• 3 weeks later...

Piggybacking on this topic for a little help with the Sand Wedge(s) in this set.  There are 2 different styles, but both seem to have the identifying characteristics of the DCI Gold original set.  The one on the left is more common, and matches the ones found in the oversize and 962 sets (IIRC) but are not marked as being in those sets.  The one on the right has the same sole appearance as the rest of the DCI Gold set.

Any info that anyone can share?

image.jpeg.8ce2ee8f59715d92d7753b71b26f97dd.jpegimage.jpeg.517ca4c89677a7581cef23929291b2f2.jpeg

The one on the left looks to be from from the DCI wedges collection with wedge-specific grind profiles. 

The one on the right looks to be from the DCI Gold iron set, which could be ordered all the way to the lob wedge if desired with sole grinds that would match the iron set as opposed to being specific to the wedges.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

The one on the left looks to be from from the DCI wedges collection with wedge-specific grind profiles. 

The one on the right looks to be from the DCI Gold iron set, which could be ordered all the way to the lob wedge if desired with sole grinds that would match the iron set as opposed to being specific to the wedges.

Great! I had forgotten that Titleist did those wedge sets. Any material differences in the two gold ones I showed other than difference in sole/bounce?

FWIW, Back when I bought my DCI Golds back in the day, I didn't buy the SW, and was thinking about grabbing it now to satisfy the completist in me.

The DCI wedge set is most likely meant to resemble the Triple Grind High Performance Wedges in shape and sole grind, but aimed at the players who were using DCI irons rather than their Titleist Tour Model blades of the time. The wedges from the DCI Gold iron set were most likely meant to more closely resemble the appearance of the irons themselves, without any distinct appearance differences or sole grind changes between the wedges and irons. The DCI iron set ones would also have been a convenience option for the average consumer, being able to order/purchase everything together as a single set at what was almost certainly a lower price compared to purchasing their wedges separately (since, in all honestly, the majority of golfers don't care about sole grinds or bounce spec of their wedges).

The bulk of the differences would be in the sole grind and bounce though, but I can't seem to find any spec for the DCI Iron set's bounce figures for direct comparison since it's blank on the Titleist website. Obviously the DCI wedges have much more heel, toe, and trailing edge relief grinding to set the leading edge lower when manipulating the clubface for different shots around the green while the DCI iron set wedges have minimal heel and trailing edge relief to match the grind profile you'd find on the rest of the iron set. The other difference would just be that the DCI wedges were available in Copper Beryllium or stainless steel, while the DCI iron set wedges were only available in stainless steel. As both options were a cast clubhead it's almost certain that they used the same steel alloy for both of them. 

Edited by Pretzel

Wow.    I had a set of these, or at least a very, very similar model.   Really enjoyed them.   Wish I had more information about their specifics to contribute more to the conversation.   But I really enjoyed gaming them.

—Adam

2 hours ago, Pretzel said:

The DCI wedge set is most likely meant to resemble the Triple Grind High Performance Wedges in shape and sole grind, but aimed at the players who were using DCI irons rather than their Titleist Tour Model blades of the time. The wedges from the DCI Gold iron set were most likely meant to more closely resemble the appearance of the irons themselves, without any distinct appearance differences or sole grind changes between the wedges and irons. The DCI iron set ones would also have been a convenience option for the average consumer, being able to order/purchase everything together as a single set at what was almost certainly a lower price compared to purchasing their wedges separately (since, in all honestly, the majority of golfers don't care about sole grinds or bounce spec of their wedges).

The bulk of the differences would be in the sole grind and bounce though, but I can't seem to find any spec for the DCI Iron set's bounce figures for direct comparison since it's blank on the Titleist website. Obviously the DCI wedges have much more heel, toe, and trailing edge relief grinding to set the leading edge lower when manipulating the clubface for different shots around the green while the DCI iron set wedges have minimal heel and trailing edge relief to match the grind profile you'd find on the rest of the iron set. The other difference would just be that the DCI wedges were available in Copper Beryllium or stainless steel, while the DCI iron set wedges were only available in stainless steel. As both options were a cast clubhead it's almost certain that they used the same steel alloy for both of them. 

That's some fantastic info!! Thanks $1m.