IGNORED

Howdy....

45Fan
Note: This thread is 1106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have enjoyed reading and lurking over the last few days so thanks for the entertainment.  

In short, I hit my first golf ball in 37 years a few days ago and it felt good.  I played golf one summer after high school and before college with a HS buddy with some borrowed clubs.  I gave the clubs back that fall and my buddy was killed a few years later and then life happend.  Have not really thought about golf since then.  

A week or so ago through some strange events I won't bore anyone with I was standing over a tee with a driver in my hand for the first time in 37 years.  My biggest concern was throwing the club.  (I was hit on my Harley a few years back and my left ring finger does not bend anymore.)  I told my buddy if I busted his club I would replace it and took a swing.  Nothing to write home about but It went farther than his and straight.  It felt really good.

It has given me the bug for sure.  My wife wants me to take it up so I will shut up about getting a new bike.  🙂

I will see, I am at a point in my life that money is not a big issue really but I hate the thought of holding folks up or being in the way on the course.  I am sure that is the same stuff you have all read here a thousand times.

Also, not sure about getting a set of clubs.  I have been reading about it some, it seems like a set of Calloways are a good starting point and you can get about everything for $500 or so?  The only thing I remember about the clubs I used back in 87 was the driver.  Man I liked it, It was graphite and I could hit the ball a ton with it and on a line.  But, I was also 18!  🙂

Well, thank for letting me ramble and I will thank you in advance for letting me read all of your posts and borrow your wisdom.

JW

Welcome to TST @45Fan

I usually suggest to anyone who intends to buy clubs, be patient and do some home work before you buy.
For starters, go to any golf outlet and speak with a salesman. 
They will be able to give you some good insights about all clubs.
Keep in mind, 5 or 6 year old clubs will play just as well as new clubs and far less expensive.

Being that you are a little older now, shaft stiffness should be considered highest on priority.
If you try stiff shafts, they will harder to hit consistently.
I consider Mizuno and Callaway products some of the easiest clubs to control.
Often, you can demo a club, inquire if they offer this option.
Usually it will be only the 5 and 7 irons, ask if you can try a couple of models.

Many stores have indoor hitting bays and you can hit most likely all models at the store.
Good luck and enjoy the greatest game on earth. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, 45Fan said:

I have enjoyed reading and lurking over the last few days so thanks for the entertainment.  

In short, I hit my first golf ball in 37 years a few days ago and it felt good.  I played golf one summer after high school and before college with a HS buddy with some borrowed clubs.  I gave the clubs back that fall and my buddy was killed a few years later and then life happend.  Have not really thought about golf since then.  

A week or so ago through some strange events I won't bore anyone with I was standing over a tee with a driver in my hand for the first time in 37 years.  My biggest concern was throwing the club.  (I was hit on my Harley a few years back and my left ring finger does not bend anymore.)  I told my buddy if I busted his club I would replace it and took a swing.  Nothing to write home about but It went farther than his and straight.  It felt really good.

It has given me the bug for sure.  My wife wants me to take it up so I will shut up about getting a new bike.  🙂

I will see, I am at a point in my life that money is not a big issue really but I hate the thought of holding folks up or being in the way on the course.  I am sure that is the same stuff you have all read here a thousand times.

Also, not sure about getting a set of clubs.  I have been reading about it some, it seems like a set of Calloways are a good starting point and you can get about everything for $500 or so?  The only thing I remember about the clubs I used back in 87 was the driver.  Man I liked it, It was graphite and I could hit the ball a ton with it and on a line.  But, I was also 18!  🙂

Well, thank for letting me ramble and I will thank you in advance for letting me read all of your posts and borrow your wisdom.

JW

Welcome to TST and welcome back to Golf.  

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Welcome to TST! I second what @Club Rat wrote as well. Also, don’t worry about ‘holding people up.’ Skill level seldom has anything to do with pace of play. Play ‘ready golf’ and you’ll be fine. Glad you’re hooked! Cheers.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Aloha and Welcome!

Had some close calls but so far no one has hit on my HD, sorry to hear you were not as fortunate. But golf, yes golf, a worthy adventure, glad to have you here.

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Note: This thread is 1106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!